Best way to get euros

Erikamac

It's been several years now we have not gotten foreign currency in advance. ATM's are more plentiful in Europe then Dunkin' Donuts are here! Never had a problem and definitely the best rate. The rate fluctuates dependent on the world market. We've gotten money one day, then maybe 4 or 5 days later and when we got our bank statement, the exchange rate was not the same (sometimes only a fraction of a penny) but not identical with every withdrawal. One time, when traveling with friends who also used an ATM......they were totally and unexpectedly perplexed because the ATM machine did not dispense US currency!!!!!!!!

Edited by marco

This.

The banks and local post offices always seem to have the best rates and when you buy currency before you go its always at a better rate.

That may be the case in the UK, but not sound advice in the US.

I have had success getting Euros at bank ATMs in major airports during layovers (FRA and CDG) or final destination.

I also watched the rates for a couple of weeks so that I could try my best to time my exchange for when they were at their most favorable.

Every time I try doing that the exchange rate does an abrupt u-turn and starts going down the gurgler! :eek::(

I would add that there is another issue for those that get a large amount of foreign currency at home. Unless you spend all that money overseas, you are faced with large fees when you try to convert it back to your own currency. Another big advantage to using ATMs is that we can usually withdraw close to the amount we actually need (we save extra currency for future trips).

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I usually get my foreign currency from my bank or a local travel agent that handles that. They just charge me the same exchange rate the day I get the money and usually a $10 flat fee. Last month we went to Iceland and I got the money in the JFK airport. I didn't use all of the currency so when we were waiting for our return flight home in Iceland I exhanged it for US money and they did it for free with no fee.

We also have gotten euros on the ship. They way I look at it you are probably spending several thousand of dollars to go on these trips so I am not going to worry about a fee to exchange money or the difference in the exchange rate. If you have enough money to go on a nice trip then don't sweat the small stuff. Happy sailing.:):):)

I would add that there is another issue for those that get a large amount of foreign currency at home. Unless you spend all that money overseas, you are faced with large fees when you try to convert it back to your own currency. Another big advantage to using ATMs is that we can usually withdraw close to the amount we actually need (we save extra currency for future trips).

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not always true. I got $500 worth of euros from my local bank and after the trip I took what was left back to the bank and there was no fee to convert it back to US $$.

Ditto! I was on a cruise that stopped in Italy, Spain, France & Croatia last fall. The pin on the ATM card I used started with a zero. I never had a problem using it at any ATM or in stores. I also never had an issue finding a bank ATM.... they were everywhere in the cities we were in.

I got a small amount of Euros before my trip at AAA. They did not charge a fee as long as you got a certain minimum.... I think it was something like $100 or 100 Euros. The minimum to avoid the fee wasn't much. I believe the fee charged if you weren't exchanging a certain amount was about $7-8. I also had to give them a couple day's notice as they don't routinely have Euros in stock at my local AAA branch.

Hope that helps! Happy cruising everybody!!!

Melissa

At our local AAA my friend got $400 worth of euros and was still charged a fee so maybe it varies from place to place.

We use Wells Fargo. Conversion rate not good but there is no separate fee for the service. They also exchange the foreign funds when we return. We always take some local currency for immediate needs without searching for an ATM right away. Less stress.

Margee

Don't obsess....do what ever is most comfortable for you. You're paying thousands of dollars for the trip. If buying some Euros before you leave from "where ever" costs you 10 bucks....so what, if that's what your'e most comfortable doing...do it!. I don't understand why some folks post a question about saving a couple a' bucks about money conversion, shuttles, transfers, parking etc, etc. Like I said, you're spending thousands of dollars on the trip. To save (or spend) 10 or 20 bucks more or less on something that you are more comfortable with.....just do it!

We have been going to Europe every year now for several years, so often have a few euros left from previous trip. However, we never bother going to the bank to get euros anymore as we've found that we never have a problem using ATMs at the airport when we arrive. We do almost all our purchases in cash and get largish amounts from ATMs on the days we know we'll be paying for big items, e.g., hotel. On one of our first trips we did use credit cards more, and the foreign transaction fees were awful. I know there are other cards with lower fees, but we really didn't want to get yet another credit card for overseas travel as we have enough already. We always use ATMs that are right at banks unless it's too difficult to find one.

If you are initially arriving somewhere in Europe where you are not sure about immediate availability of an ATM, it's of course wise to bring enough euros (e.g., from your bank) to get transportation to where you can get to an ATM. Here's a site VISA has where you can look up VISA ATM locations anywhere in the world. I just checked out Venice, and there are lots of machines. The site even shows them on a map. http://www.visa.com/atmlocator/index.jsp#%28page:home%29

Ann

ATM's are the best place to get Euros; never had a problem with a debit card with a 4 digit numerical PIN.

I used that last year when I went to Italy, though it was hard finding an ATM that would accept my metallic stripe card, I had to use the google search engine to see which ones I could use and take out the maximum amount until the next city visited and do the whole process once again.

I'm happy that banks for 2015 will have to roll out the chip and pin cards, it will be mandatory for them to do so.

Don't obsess....do what ever is most comfortable for you. You're paying thousands of dollars for the trip. If buying some Euros before you leave from "where ever" costs you 10 bucks....so what, if that's what your'e most comfortable doing...do it!. I don't understand why some folks post a question about saving a couple a' bucks about money conversion, shuttles, transfers, parking etc, etc. Like I said, you're spending thousands of dollars on the trip. To save (or spend) 10 or 20 bucks more or less on something that you are more comfortable with.....just do it!

I found out that It was cheaper to use American express exchange at the airport(Logan) to fend off for public transport and eating out the first day your there. I always take some with me, at least 200 euros . then go to an atm and take out the maximum amount possible to last me the days i'll be in that city before heading out to the next one.