HAL Newbie-Onboard Tuxedo Rental?

binkey36

My husband and I are sailing in April 2015. We are debating whether to bring his tux or rent one onboard. However, I can't find any reference on the HAL site for Tux rentals. Does anyone know if they have this service onboard? Thanks for your insight.

They do. Just make sure that he tries it on as soon as you get to the room. A good friend of ours rented one and the pants were too short. They fixed it without a problem, but you don't want to find out that you have a fit issue right before dinner.

From one of the HAL information sheets:

Tuxedo rentals available from Cruise Line Formalwear for $75-$115—call 800-551-5091 or go to http://www.cruiselineformal.com .

They do. Just make sure that he tries it on as soon as you get to the room. A good friend of ours rented one and the pants were too short. They fixed it without a problem, but you don't want to find out that you have a fit issue right before dinner.

From one of the HAL information sheets:

Tuxedo rentals available from Cruise Line Formalwear for $75-$115—call 800-551-5091 or go to http://www.cruiselineformal.com .

THANK YOU! I really appreciate the information. (and SO quickly too!) Love the CC boards!

Rented tux's on board several times. Then learned it is so much cheaper to buy one and take it with me. Before you say, hey it costs to take an extra suitcase, compare the suitcase to a used tuxedo and you probably end up better off taking it along with you.

Plus, the wife likes me in a tux, first thing in the morning!:eek:

Before DH purchased his tux, he rented a number of times from cruiselineformal.com There was only one time he needed an adjustment and it was taken care of within 30 minutes.

We don't find it an onerous task to bring along his tux - I've learned how to pack it in a large zip-lock (isn't You Tube wonderful?) and he brings it in his carry-on along with his accessories. We hang it in the bathroom while taking a shower and any small wrinkles fall right out.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

So few gentlemen wear tuxedos on formal nights these days, you may wish to consider if he needs the tuxedo at all. A great many men are now wearing blazer/sport jacket and tie and that meets HAL's code.

BY ALL MEANS, if you and he really want the tuxedo then, of course, he should have one.

The question is "why" rental vs your own.

Are you concerned about airline weight limits or extra suitcase charges? Then renting *might* work if you did your homework and figured out whether the costs of the extra luggage on flights to and from are more than the cost of the rental.

But if it's a matter of your ability to handle the luggage by yourself (an extra suitcase or one that weighs too much to handle easily), then the rental might be the best way.

For us, we rented the tux (and shoes) because after our cruise we had a 6 week trip in the British Isles, with small rental cars, train trips, and short-flight airlines with restrictive policies. Since we're usually casual dressers, it made no sense to drag his suit and my dressy stuff along for 6 weeks. That's why we rented his and sent my fairly tiny cocktail dress and heels home by mail from England.

The question is "why" rental vs your own.

Are you concerned about airline weight limits or extra suitcase charges? Then renting *might* work if you did your homework and figured out whether the costs of the extra luggage on flights to and from are more than the cost of the rental.

But if it's a matter of your ability to handle the luggage by yourself (an extra suitcase or one that weighs too much to handle easily), then the rental might be the best way.

For us, we rented the tux (and shoes) because after our cruise we had a 6 week trip in the British Isles, with small rental cars, train trips, and short-flight airlines with restrictive policies. Since we're usually casual dressers, it made no sense to drag his suit and my dressy stuff along for 6 weeks. That's why we rented his and sent my fairly tiny cocktail dress and heels home by mail from England.

You are absolutely correct. We are flying from the USA to New Zealand, so weight limit is an issue. My husband has a tux and suits/sports coats. However, since this cruise is 36 days with several different climates involved (fall in NZ and OZ and humid, summer conditions in the South Pacific and Hawaii...then onto Canada in the springtime. The weight for a tux or suit might be better served with a nice 'winter' type coat (LOL). We are starting out packing lists and exploring our options. I can't thank everyone enough for your input and information. It all helps.

DH has rented a tux on HAL and Carnival a number of times and if there was ever an issue, it was taken care of immediately on board. Very good service. He hasn't recently because we've been sailing on Carnival the most the last few years and their formal nights are not very formal at all. But, we will sail on the Nieuw Amsterdam this Thanksgiving and DH plans on renting a tux again. There have been threads lately on formal night dress and it still seems that HAL formal nights are pretty dressy occasions. DH does bring his own tux shoes, cummerbunds and bow ties because the cummerbunds and ties are tropical and fun to wear:cool: