Will we be running for the ship???

PensFan123

Hi -- me and my 73 year old mother will be on the Breakaway on Oct. 5th -- neither of us want to drive so we are looking into the Megabus or Amtrac.

The Megabus leaves on the 4th and gets us into NYC at 6:45 am on the 5th (8 hour bus ride) which neither of us are looking forward to

The earliest Amtrac would get us into Penn Station is 10:49am on the 5th -- would that be enough time to get off the train, find our way through Penn Station, find a cab and get to the Port and be on the ship by 1pm??

Also when the cruise is over - would we be able to be off the ship and get to Penn Station by 10:30am? or would 12:30 be better??

Thanks for all the help -- I would really hate to see my mom trying to run so we wouldn't miss the boat even though that would be pretty funny hahaha:eek:

Where are you coming from? I've read some regarding MegaBus and there seem to be a lot of complaints about them. You might be better off trying Greyhound. One of the recurring comments I've read is that if something goes wrong with MegaBus, their fleet isn't large enough to compensate. However, if you are on a Greyhound with a problem, their fleet is large enough to send another bus.

Is flying to NYC not an option?

I did not see where you are coming from, as that might help with answers or options.

But, if you arrive on time, even at noon, you will have plenty of time.

Have you considered going to NYC the day before? Maybe take in some sights?

Hi -- me and my 73 year old mother will be on the Breakaway on Oct. 5th -- neither of us want to drive so we are looking into the Megabus or Amtrac.

The Megabus leaves on the 4th and gets us into NYC at 6:45 am on the 5th (8 hour bus ride) which neither of us are looking forward to

The earliest Amtrac would get us into Penn Station is 10:49am on the 5th -- would that be enough time to get off the train, find our way through Penn Station, find a cab and get to the Port and be on the ship by 1pm??

Also when the cruise is over - would we be able to be off the ship and get to Penn Station by 10:30am? or would 12:30 be better??

Thanks for all the help -- I would really hate to see my mom trying to run so we wouldn't miss the boat even though that would be pretty funny hahaha:eek:

You should have plenty of time to get to the port during pre-cruise when you arrived at Penn Station by 11 AM. Penn station to the port is about 30 mins max. As for post cruise, we did the walk off from the Breakaway around 8:30 am and you can walk off as early as 7 am so you'd have plenty of time to get to Penn station by 10:30 am. Also, since it's on the weekend, traffic is light so you should be okay.

The draw back here is that you guys would be too tired to enjoy the first day of cruising.

Edited by cruise_alot123

We would have to catch the MegaBus in Pittsburgh and for the Amtrac, we were thinking of spending the night at my friends house in Lancaster (3 hours from our house) and catching the 7:55am train to NYC arriving at 10:49am. We didn't want to stay in NYC the night before due to the price of hotels and also my mom can't walk to far (COPD) and I am sure there would be lots of walking if we wanted to sight see. I will have to look into Greyhound and flying is out.

Sounds like my best bet would still be the train --- thanks all!!!

We would have to catch the MegaBus in Pittsburgh and for the Amtrac, we were thinking of spending the night at my friends house in Lancaster (3 hours from our house) and catching the 7:55am train to NYC arriving at 10:49am. We didn't want to stay in NYC the night before due to the price of hotels and also my mom can't walk to far (COPD) and I am sure there would be lots of walking if we wanted to sight see. I will have to look into Greyhound and flying is out.

Sounds like my best bet would still be the train --- thanks all!!!

If you guys get to the port before 1 Pm you should be okay.

Our recent Amtrak & Breakaway July 13-20 experience: we're from Ottawa and drove the 3 hours to Syracuse to take Amtrak to Penn Stn. We went down 2 days early to sight see. But the train was over an hour late leaving Syracuse then it accumulated putting us about 2 hours late arriving into NYC.

We did walk off disembarking which went very smoothly and we made it to the Stn by 8:30 for our 10:20 train. But our 5 hour train ride turned into 10!!! Delayed an hour and a half in NYC then a couple of hours in Albany. And we went slower than usual due to hooking up trains which normally don't travel together. Something about a rock slide. We were scrambling to make child care arrangements from the train. Whew.

All that to say, delays happen unexpectedly and can be on both ends of the trip and any mode of transportation. Our Amtrak experience wasn't great but we made it there and home eventually. I personally wouldn't risk missing the ship with only a couple of hours built in to spare.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you get into Penn before 11 you should be fine. I would avoid the Megabus if you can. The couple times I have rode it going into and leaving the city it was late for various reasons. If you really want to ride it I would plan on coming a day early and getting a cheap hotel.

MegaBus can also break down. Had a friend travelling in the NYC area on MegaBus and the bus had a flat. Took four hours for a new bus to arrive.

I always suggest getting in a day early if you can.

I spend half my life on trains. Here is another possibility. Take the Amtrak Pennsylvanian from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia the day before. It would leave Pittsburgh somewhere around 730 or 8 AM and get to Philadelphia midafternoon. Spend the night in Philadelphia where you can have a nice relaxing dinner and get an extremely reasonable nice hotel room within a five minute cab ride of 30th St. station. And then take either the train or the bus from 30th St. station to New York the day of the cruise. Both buses and trains leave from Philadelphia to New York nearly every hour and take less than two hours.

Did you check out the motorcoach service on NCL's website? Not exactly sure where you live but they make stops in Baltimore, Wilmington and Philadelphia and it drops you off at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

I would agree with the suggestion to come a day earlier and spend some time in the city.

Hi there, I am from east of Syracuse & we have been taking Amtrak to Penn Station or Boston (depending where ship sails from) foe a few years now due to high airfare. I have heard a lot of people state that Amtrak is always late*** but **** I have never experienced this but once for only 10 minutes. I do tend to always get in the day before for extra wiggle room incase of an unexpected problem, but you should & I repeat should make it to the ship in plenty of time. The port is only 2 miles away, but some of our taxi rides have been horrible. The cost was any where's from $12.00 to $25.00 depending on traffic. On the return, you will not have a lot of wiggle room if you are planning to get the 10:30 train. I have done it, but do not waste time. You may want to see if NCL can wheelchair your mom down & out ahead of the line if she is in necessity of a wheelchair. This may speed things up for you. Do not ask for the chair the morning of departure as they may all be spoken for. Ask ahead of time & set something up. If she can walk o.k. then just get off as soon as you can. Amtrak is not like the airports (which is another reason I like them so much) a lot less hassle. Even if you get there at 10:15....... you'll still make it. The best of luck to you & your mom. Have a great cruise!!!!!!

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_041614

Norwegian Cruise Line Expands East Coast Motor Coach Program

Six New Departure Cities Now Offer Faster and More Convenient Service to Manhattan Cruise Terminal

Miami - Apr 16, 2014 --- Norwegian Cruise Line today announced that the line has expanded their motor coach program throughout the eastern United States, to offer additional ground transportation routes to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal from six new Mid-Atlantic and New England departure cities. The additional transportation options also provide a more convenient schedule for guests on existing routes.

In partnership with Academy Bus, more guests of Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Gem will now be able to purchase transfers right to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, without having to worry about driving into the city or finding and paying for parking. These new routes are in addition to the line's current program with Yankee Trails World Travel.

Beginning May 3, guests from Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Hampshire can enjoy direct motor coach service from 11 New England departure cities, including Warwick, RI; New London, CT; New Haven, CT; Bridgeport, CT; Braintree, MA; Worcester, MA; Springfield, MA; Hartford, CT; Woburn, MA; Framingham, MA and new departure city, Salem, NH. As of May 31, guests will be able to purchase motor coach service direct to the port from the following five new Mid-Atlantic departure cities: Arlington, VA; Baltimore, MD; Wilmington, DE; Philadelphia, PA; and East Brunswick, NJ. The transfers are offered for $110 roundtrip per adult and $75 per child.

Guests who select Norwegian's expanded motor coach service will also be able to take advantage of more convenient departure and return times. Transfers will now depart for the Cruise Terminal one to two hours later than previous schedules and returning transfers will depart at 10 am, saving up to two hours.

Cruisers can set sail from the Big Apple to Bermuda on board Norwegian Breakaway, the ship that brings the best of NYC to Sea. Norwegian Breakaway will sail seven-day cruises to Bermuda, from May 4 through September 28, 2014, offering guests three full days to explore in King's Wharf, Bermuda. Fares start at $599*.

Vacationers looking to cruise from NYC to the Bahamas & Florida can set sail on board Norwegian Gem on a seven-day itinerary from May 3, 2014 through September 6, 2014, with ports of call including Orlando & Beaches (Port Canaveral); Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas; and Nassau, Bahamas. Fares start at $549*.

To book transportation to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, guests can contact their travel professional, call Norwegian at 888-NCL-CRUISE (625-2784), or visit www.ncl.com.

Take advantage of the motor coach program if you can. It works beautifully, and is as effortless as can be. You hand your bags to the coach operator and don't see them again until you enter your stateroom. No muss, no fuss. DW and I are very lucky to live in a motor coach city.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just fly. By the time you add all of the costs together, a plane makes more sense. I just checked and a round trip ticket is 250 per person. Fly SW and there are no luggage fees. I bet the ticket would even be less with SW.

Edited by rbrugler

Just fly. By the time you add all of the costs together, a plane makes more sense. I just checked and a round trip ticket is 250 per person. Fly SW and there are no luggage fees. I bet the ticket would even be less with SW.

Not by the time you add transportation from the airport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums