San Fran to New York Sept 5 2015.

Here are my stops for my trip. Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, Puerto Chiapas, Mexico, Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala, San Juan del sur, Nicaragva , Puntarenas, Costa Rica, Cartahena, Colombia, George town, Cayman Island,

Miami, Florida, Port Canaveral, Florida, Charleston, South Carolina- overnight port.

Any good pointers or stops to take while in these ports?? And of course the Panamal Canal too.

Have a great picture of a dolphin kissing my wife in Cabo San Lucas (I gave permission)

She had four cats at one time - the kids would bring home strays and leave the cats!

We are on this also. Haven't thought much about excursions as of yet, but will be interested in what responses you might get.

In Charleston, you might want to consider one of the old plantation tours for sure. We have been there several times and usually just shop and stroll around town and such, but the plantations are a big highlight. Miami will probably just be a "sea day" for us, can't think of much to do there. Grand Cayman will have several options for snorkeling and scuba if you are into that, if not they have miles of beautiful beaches to just sit on and enjoy the beautiful water.

We found many of the tours in Cartagena covered very similar ground when we were there on Mariner in February (or was it March?) this year, so if you are there overnight and are tempted to take more than one excursion, look closely at the content or you may find yourself feeling the same deja vu as we did. It's a lovely city, well worth the time spent there but really, you don't need to visit the same places two days running ;-)

The Panama Canal was a great experience, too. We loved it.

Gilly is right about the excursions in Cartagena mostly being just the same stuff in different orders. When we had an overnight there, we took the excursion the first day. Then the second, we hailed a taxi outside of the port area (much cheaper outside the port) and went downtown to visit the Gold Museum which is inside a bank. It is small but very well done and unique. Then we just walked around and explored. We felt very safe. I do speak spanish though. The cab drive to and from the ship was an adventure in itself--Mr Toad's Wild Ride at Disneyland comes to mind.

Definitely agree that if a trip to Tikal is included as a possible excursion in Guatemala, you should pay the extra and do it. It is outstanding. You do have to fly there in a small plane though. On our trip, it was just my husband and I, another couple, and one of the destination staff. My husband was on some new blood pressure meds which caused him to cough constantly, and the other couple seemed to think he had some contageous disease. But it was a great excursion.

The Panama Canal should definitely be the highlight of your trip since it is a spectacular experience. If you get a chance, read “The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914,” by David McCullough for a fascinating insight of the canal.

Charleston can be very eclectic and has so much to offer . I have a soft spot for Charleston since I went to school there and got engaged at The Battery back when the Wright Brothers were starting out, so please include The Citadel as part of your touring and get a glimpse of this unique school. You can spend a day walking through the antebellum homes south of Broad Street, tour the slave market, have a great meal, or get a little bit dirty at Big John’s tavern. The Battery has some great views to include Fort Sumter and you can see the homes of Rainbow Row right up the street. Ask around who fired the first shot of the Civil War and you will get quite a few interesting responses.

Enjoy your cruise!

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1

This was our second and my most favorite to date based on my very limited cruising experience. I loved the long days in port followed by a sea day. You really got to see a lot in port and then sit back and recover the next day. I came out really relaxed. If it wasn't for the fact that there is still so much in the world left to do, I do it again. You'll have a blast. And sting rays in George Town are a blast!

Hi,

I was on a Miami to San Francisco a couple of years ago and went on a tour in Costa Rica that I thought was excellent.

We were taken by bus to an active Volcano, the Poas Volcano, and a local "tourist" restaurant for lunch, the food was not bad, and then to Sarchí to check out the local handicrafts and the painting of Ox Carts.

We were lucky with the weather and were able to see the volcano, apparently this is a one 3 or 4 visit event, and would have been pretty disheartening if we did not see it as it was a long drive. After getting of the bus when you arrive there is a short, 10 min or so, walk that is not too difficult to get to the Poas Volcano viewing area. If the weather is right, it is worth it, going in the morning is apparently the best time of day.

Lunch was in one of the towns not far from the Volcano, and was enjoyable.

The stop in Sarchí was ok, but I am not a big fan of painted Ox Carts, although the carpentry workshop was interesting.

The tour guide was great, the bus was comfortable, but there is a lot of time spent in the bus, so if you are not into long bus rides this is not for you. The countryside you travel through is attractive and interesting.

If you want to see an active Volcano, and are willing to risk a longish bus ride to the Poas Volcano with the chance that it will be obscured by a mist, I would recommend this tour. If I ever get back to this part of the world, I would probably try to visit the same Volcano again.

Hope that this helps