Tips for tours question

Hi! We are anout ready for our baltic cruise and I have a question. We have a couple of tours booked with spb tours. What is the right amount to tip our guide? I want to make sure we are fair and on lunch stops can we pay for a beer or wine if we choose to or is the lunch set?

I think 10% is too much. The 3 day tour cost $400 each. So 19% tip is $80 for both of us, plus $40 for the driver.

That times the number of people is a wage in itself.

I agree. I pay attention to what other people tip, some people tip nothing. Most people give five or ten dollars, depending on length of tour.

We just came back from the Baltics and used TJ Tours. I find it interesting that people feel that the tip amount is too much. Remember that the travel season is short in the Baltics so they are making tips to help through the winter months. We were lucky to end up in a small group . . .two families. Yes, we spent $1100 for the four of us who took the two day tour but we chose to tip more than the suggestion. Our guide made our two days extremely enjoyable so we tipped her $200. Our driver was very efficient and made sure we were comfortable so we tipped him $100. For us, this represented a small part of the costs of going on this cruise. We chose inside cabins, found the cheapest airfare and hotel but recognized the excellent service we were given.

I agree. I pay attention to what other people tip, some people tip nothing. Most people give five or ten dollars, depending on length of tour.

I find your response very troubling. In all the years I've been on this board I have NEVER heard of anyone NOT tipping at least 10% of the tour cost. I'm not naïve and know that there are some cheapskates out there, and won't tip anyone, but a 10% tip is NOT a lot and regardless of what you may think, that is the norm.

Tip whatever you like, it is your privilege but don't say people give 5 and 10 dollars. That is simply not true, at least from the representation that comes to this site and posts.

Cheers

Len

I think 10% is too much. The 3 day tour cost $400 each. So 19% tip is $80 for both of us, plus $40 for the driver.

That times the number of people is a wage in itself.

You did a three day tour, with the same guide and driver, and you feel a 10% tip is way too much. Quoting, 'That is a wage in itself". SO, maybe it IS their wage?. Breaking it down, day by day, it comes to basically minimum wage. Maybe there are only one or two couples on the tour, would that make you tip more, since the guide is only getting smaller amounts.

a 10% tip is the norm, and many tip 15% of the cost of the tour, whatever the cost is. Again, you can tip whatever you want. But if the guide did a great job, same as a waitress in a café, or a taxi driver who went out of their way to help you, they should be rewarded for that special service, not be deprived out of money because of you paid more for your tour.

Cheers

Len

Giantfan,

By the way, I an a Redskins fan.

I would venture to guess that the percentage of people that tip tour guides 10% of the tour cost is less than 20%. I have watched people after tours and would guess that another 20% do not tip at all.

I routinely tip waitstaff 20% of the check and tip the waitstaff and cabin stewards as well.

Calling me a cheapskate is over the line. Tipping is a personal decision.

I have taken full day tours that cost almost $200, which will call for tipping for DW and self $40. If the entire bus of thirty persons tipped the same, that guide would make $ 600 on top of his/her regular pay. I do not think that is the normal. If I am a cheapskate, then so are the vast majority. Not sure what calling me a cheapskate makes you.

I am sorry, I wasn't referring to you, and I do apologize if you took it that way. I was more referringg to people who don't leave any tip.

But my point being, does it really matter how many people tip the tour guide and what he or she makes. A taxi driver in NYC makes a lot on tips. A waiter or waitress at a busy restaurant makes a lot on tips, so if it is a busy night and they are making a bit more, is that any reason to deny her a tip because she is 'doing OK' on her job?

In the NY area an 18 to 20 % tip is the norm in a restaurant regardless of how many people are being served. You have to look at the service YOU got and not figure out how much the guide is making.

Anyway, again sorry if I offended you in any way, it was not my intention.

Good luck this season

Cheers

Len

As a European I think that north Americans tip far too much and are hung up about it. If I g into a restaurant in London I would tip a maximum of 10%, but only if I had received good service. If I don't receive good service, then I don't leave anything.

In the rest of Europe they generally only round up the bill to the next couple of Euros.

When we went to SPB we did give the guide a tip of around 10% as he had done a particularly good job and we left the driver around 5%, but I would never dream of leaving somebody a $200 tip as somebody has mentioned. That is an extortionate amount of money. A tip should be a token amount to show appreciation, not a weeks wages.

A guide will already be paid their salary and then get their commissions from shops and suppliers, so by the time they have received a huge amount in tips, they are laughing all the way to the bank.

It wouldn't let me quote what you said.

'That is a wage in itself". SO, maybe it IS their wage?. Breaking it down, day by day, it comes to basically minimum wage. Maybe there are only one or two couples on the tour, would that make you tip more, since the guide is only getting smaller amounts.

No!! It is a TIP not wages. If they are their wages they should say that.

You say you have NEVER seen anyone tip $10. Do you check what everyone is paying. I have no idea how much everyone on my tour tipped the driver or guide. I don't cvare, that's their choice. What I pay is my choice- why? Because they give me one.

If companies want everyone to pay the same, charge everyone the same (including tip).

We have booked a 2 day St Petersburg Tour with Alla & when asked about how much to tip - the Tour company have advised Tour Guide 10% & the Driver 5%

I would think this is the Norm!

Giantfan13 is correct in his advice

Edited by lydnsyd

It wouldn't let me quote what you said.

'That is a wage in itself". SO, maybe it IS their wage?. Breaking it down, day by day, it comes to basically minimum wage. Maybe there are only one or two couples on the tour, would that make you tip more, since the guide is only getting smaller amounts.

No!! It is a TIP not wages. If they are their wages they should say that.

You say you have NEVER seen anyone tip $10. Do you check what everyone is paying. I have no idea how much everyone on my tour tipped the driver or guide. I don't cvare, that's their choice. What I pay is my choice- why? Because they give me one.

If companies want everyone to pay the same, charge everyone the same (including tip).

Of course I do not see what everyone is tipping. But I have been on this particular board for well over 5 years and this question comes up at least 2-3 times a year. In all that time I have never heard of one person tipping $5-$10 dollars. As I said previously, the people who do not tip what is perceived as the norm, sure won't go around bragging about it, but when I took my tour about 3 years ago, 10% was the norm. If it has changed any, I would really like to know. This particular thread is the first I have ever heard of people tipping $5 or $10 dollars.

Again, tipping is subjective. There was some one here, who said they didn't have that great a time. Maybe they felt the guide wasn't that good. I can surely understand not tipping, or tipping less.

On your cruise, aren't the tips extra and automatically billed to your account. Yes, you have the right to change the amounts or not tip at all, but how many people really do this, even if they felt the service wasn't up to snuff. maybe we Americans do overdo tips, but when I get good service, when a person goes above and beyond what is expected of them and helps us out, and they receive tips, I will increase my tip to show my appreciation.

Once again, just to be clear on this matter, anyone who feels that a certain amount is too much, or do not tip at all, that's up to them. I am not criticizing anyone, just offering my opinion and what I have always been led to believe.

Cheers

Len

As a European I think that north Americans tip far too much and are hung up about it. If I g into a restaurant in London I would tip a maximum of 10%, but only if I had received good service. If I don't receive good service, then I don't leave anything.

In the rest of Europe they generally only round up the bill to the next couple of Euros.

When we went to SPB we did give the guide a tip of around 10% as he had done a particularly good job and we left the driver around 5%, but I would never dream of leaving somebody a $200 tip as somebody has mentioned. That is an extortionate amount of money. A tip should be a token amount to show appreciation, not a weeks wages.

A guide will already be paid their salary and then get their commissions from shops and suppliers, so by the time they have received a huge amount in tips, they are laughing all the way to the bank.

LondonTowner

Aren't tips usually included in the bill in most restaurants in Europe? I know the times we have eaten in restaurants a 15% charge is added to the bill, as a 'tip'. If you want to leave extra, then it's up to the person.

I do know when we traveled, we got a lot of good info from people like yourself, on the British boards, especially about tipping. I had inquired about taxis and what to tip the driver, and was told exactly what you said, a small tip will be appreciated, usually rounding off to the nearest pound. I did that, and never got an angry look. Things are different in each country we go and it is good to get to know what is expected and what is the norm.

No one on this board knows what the St Petersburg guides or drivers get as a wage, so how can anyone say tips aren't important to them.

Cheers

Len

We have booked a 2 day St Petersburg Tour with Alla & when asked about how much to tip - the Tour company have advised Tour Guide 10% & the Driver 5%

I would think this is the Norm!

Giantfan13 is correct in his advice

Thats what we do as a minimum and have been known to tip even more to a guide. It is unfortunate that some don't tip a t all.

Giantfan13

These days, particularly in London, many restaurants will add a 10-12.5% discretionary charge. However, this is by no means obligatory. Most people would leave 10%, but I have deducted it or left a lot less when service has not been good.

In the rest of Europe it is not added to the bill (and this is something relatively new in UK). It normally says something like 'service and taxes included' depending where you are. My Spanish friends in Seville leave very little as a tip and more often than not, nothing at all. Everybody earns a minimum wage, so tips really are left for excellent service.

If I was on a bus tour with 30-40 other people, I would only tip the guide and driver if they had been particularly good and again, many people leave nothing at all. As I said before, we left the 10% in SPB, but because we had received an excellent service.

I remember when I went to NYC back in the 80s as my sister was working there. I couldn't believe that people were tipping 15-20%, which I thought was outrageous. As for all those extra sales taxes, well, I can't understand why the total price isn't displayed. It is all very alien to Europeans as prices are normally displayed clearly.

Once again, just to be clear on this matter, anyone who feels that a certain amount is too much, or do not tip at all, that's up to them. I am not criticizing anyone, just offering my opinion and what I have always been led to believe.

Cheers

Len

It looked like criticiosm to me (maybe I'm overly sensitive).

We (all on the tour) weren't happy with our experience. I never asked what others wer tipping.

You say you have been here for years and never heard of anyone tipping $10. Well the reason is exactly what has been shown here- ie that you get shot down. I think it might be more common than you think.

I understand that you have been led to believe this is right but to mke I have been led to believe that tipping is something you give if someone goes above and beyond what you expect. I expect someone to do their job to the best of their ability. We (Australians) have been bought up to believe everyone deserves a decent wage and should not have rely on the generosity of others to make a living.

A decent basic wage for everyone- sounds fair to me. ;)

Aren't tips usually included in the bill in most restaurants in Europe? I know the times we have eaten in restaurants a 15% charge is added to the bill, as a 'tip'. If you want to leave extra, then it's up to the person.

Len

To receive a tip is not a right, it is a reward for a service well done and to tip or not to tip is an individual choice.

Not sure what happens in the rest of Europe but I have never seen 15% added to the restaurant bill as a tip in either Germany or Scandinavia. I certainly would not be eating there again if a 15% tip was mandatory. I expect my bill to show the same price as advertised on the menu. As someone else said we usually round up the bill or sometimes give extra if the service/food has been particularly good.

I know that tipping is expected in the US (low wages in service industries) and go along with that but my experience of the attitude, downright rude and demanding, shown on a couple of occasions when I paid the bill but refused to tip after failing to get the service promised left me somewhat disappointed and it has hardened my attitude towards mandatory tipping .

Anni

I have to agree with the comments made by sayaguru and travelanni. Here in the UK I always check my bill in restaurants, because as I previously stated, some these days add a tip, but nobody has to pay it.

The whole tipping thing seems to be particular to north America, we don't have hang ups about it in other countries. Employees of a company should be earning a liveable wage, not relying on tips from others to top up their earnings.

Another thing that drives me mad is when I have been in a restaurant in the US and the waiter/waitress keep asking me if everything is OK. To ask once is fine (and normal) and if the food is not satisfactory I will certainly let them know, but to be constantly interrupted whilst I am eating is more than annoying. Ok, rant over for today.

From reading all the comments from others from around the world I can plainly see 'rules for tipping' differ greatly from what Americans generally do.

Maybe we Americans, are too generous, but since no one really knows what any employee is making they may well depend on tips to do well. As others have said if I feel I have received excellent service and am completely satisfied with my tour, I will show my appreciation in the form of a decent tip.

I still feel that not giving a tip for excellent service is wrong, but that is just MVHO.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

• 2 weeks later...
You have to look at the service YOU got and not figure out how much the guide is making.

I’m absolutely agree with Len. First of all it looks like a common practice – 10% tip for a guide and 5% for a driver. I gave our driver little bit more than 5% but I gave our guide 15% just because she did excellent job . We had a private tour with the Best Guides last year and our guide was just wonderful. The tour itself was much more than I expected. The guide was obviously happy with the tips, it was more than she expected… It was also more than I initially planned. Any way she did a great job and she made us happy:):):)

Jess :)

I have looked to the tour operators website for guidance when I'm not sure of the local customs.

My St Petersburg tour is with SPB-Tours. In a sidebar called Additional Notes:

"Tour price does not include the following services: Gratuities for the guide (10%) and driver (5%) to be given separately

So it looks at least for this tour by this operator in this port the 10% and 5% guidelines are anticipated. if outstanding service, additional would be my inclination.

Edited by herbanrenewal