Best side for an Alankan Cruise

Swinden

Heading northbound to Seward the sun will be Portside and since the sun is pretty much up all the time I would prefer Starboard. For me it's a little annoying in Alaska in the summer having the sun always up.

For scenic cruising it doesn't matter since you go in the fjords one direction and back out the exact same.

Edited by Shake

Book the aft! We took or first cruise to Alaska this past May and had an Aqua class aft on the Solstice! This was the best cabin location, in my opinion. The best views were when we were cruising through the Tracy Arm Fjords! I will try to post some photos later for you.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If it's a round trip, it really doesn't matter as you will everything coming or going.

If it's a north bound trip - Starboard you will see land, Port - ocean and islands. Reverse for a south bound trip.

IMHO it doesn't matter a whole lot (but I do agree - aft is the best!). Even if land is on a particular side, my recollection of my cruise up to Seward is that most of the time you are far enough out away from land that the fact of it being there is not of much value. On the inside passage land is on both sides, and as has been mentioned when you view glaciers and the like the ship will move while you are there. If you can't get aft, I would just pick the nicest room for the money and not worry about it IMHO.

Lucie, your pics look amazing. We are about to book an Alaskan cruise on the Solstice for next year. Which cabin/deck were you on? We've had an aft cabin before and loved it but had a little noise from the Oceanview Bar which was directly above us.

Lucie, your pics look amazing. We are about to book an Alaskan cruise on the Solstice for next year. Which cabin/deck were you on? We've had an aft cabin before and loved it but had a little noise from the Oceanview Bar which was directly above us.

Hi. We were in 1674, deck 11. It was the widest balcony on the aft besides the suites. You can probably search for "aft photo of balconies on Solstice" on CC and it will pop up with some photos and number of the cabins). It is absolutely perfectly positioned in the middle of the aft, as you can see from the photo. We spent a lot of time on the balcony and if it was too cold, we just laid on the bed and watched the world go by out of the window.

We heard slight noise from OV while on the balcony, but nothing too bothersome that wouldn't make us book that location again.

We also enjoyed spending time in the Persian Gardens every day as we cruised through different areas. On the day we cruised through Tracy Arm Fjord, we spent the morning on our balcony; once we stopped, we walked around the ship; and in the afternoon when we were leaving, we spent time laying in the relaxation lounge (we were the only ones in there for a couple of hours) and watched everything we missed when we were coming to Tracy Arm Fjords in the morning, plus backs of whales and bold eagles! The AQ perks definitely paid off on this sailing... and those extra plush robes were comfy too :).

Edited by Boxerlover2

Lucie thank you so much for sharing the images....I want to go now!!

No problem! Will you be traveling on Solstice? I'm sure no matter which cabin you choose, you will enjoy this sailing very much.

No problem! Will you be traveling on Solstice? I'm sure no matter which cabin you choose, you will enjoy this sailing very much.

....and we are now booked in an aft cabin on the Solstice. Thank you so much you pics sealed the deal with my bride.

Edited by Swinden