Carnival Splendor Steakhouse - Save Your Money

cruisernbn05

For those considering dining in the Carnival Splendor Pinnacle steakhouse, below please find my experience dining in the steakhouse on July 21, 2014. This review is based on our dining experience - no flaming, please. :)

Upon arriving at the steakhouse, there was no one to seat us. Even though staff saw us waiting, it took at least five minutes for someone (the steakhouse manager) to come out of a back room to seat us (none of the wait staff notified her that we were waiting). We were the only ones waiting.

The service in the steakhouse was the worst I have ever experienced in a specialty restaurant (25 cruises and at least 25 specialty restaurants). The waiter and waitress never introduced themselves as to who was the waiter and the assistant waiter. We had no idea who was responsible for what.

When my husband tried to order a ginger beer, the waitress had no idea what he was talking about. Instead, my husband went with a regular beer. 15 minutes later our drinks arrived. When we ordered the second round of drinks, they were delivered promptly but my Coke was a Diet Coke. The waiter stated that he told the bartender a Coke – I told him it was no problem, the bartender must have made a mistake and could he kindly replace the Diet Coke with a Coke (I cannot tolerate aspartame). This was done grudgingly (I am not sure why).

As for the food, the shrimp in my husband's shrimp cocktail were slightly larger than those served in the main dining room. From the look and taste, it was obvious that they were previously frozen and thawed, not cooked (very different than the very large, very plump shrimp he was served on the Carnival Sunshine six weeks prior). The crab cake, even though filled with crab, was dry (the crab cake the next night in the dining room was much better, even with less crab). My French onion soup was burnt – when the waitress came back and I told her it was burnt, there was no offer of another. The Caesar salad was bland. The worst part was my husband's strip loin. After the first few bites, the steak was too tough to cut with a knife, never mind trying to chew it. After trying to navigate the steak, he gave up. No one checked on us after serving the meal until 30 minutes later.

When the waiter came back and asked how the meal was, my husband told him that his steak was terrible (extremely tough). The waiter had no comment and just took our plates away. The steakhouse manager then arrived at the table to ask why my husband did not send the steak back (my husband, unlike I, has never sent a meal back in his life). My husband said that, at this point, it was not worth it. The steakhouse manager did offer another steak but my husband no longer wanted it after the bad taste the current one left in his mouth nor did he want to wait another 30 minutes for another meal to be cooked. The steakhouse manager said okay and walked away. Never did she mention that she would see what she could do to rectify the situation nor did she apologize for the terrible cut of beef that was served.

After she walked away, I told my husband that I was not paying full price for his mostly horrendous meal (we had eaten in the Carnival Sunshine steakhouse six weeks prior and enjoyed a fabulous meal). I told my husband that we would go to Guest Services and complain (as the steakhouse manager did not seem to care to make it right). It was at this point that male waiter came over and asked about our dessert order (and overheard our conversation).

The next thing I know, the steakhouse manager comes over and states, "There is no reason to go to Guest Services. I am handling it here and checking to see what can be done." I was mortified that, not only did the waiter tell her the conversation that was overheard, but instead of coming back and apologizing for the meal and possibly offering some type of compensation, she treated me like a three year old child being spied upon by her staff – absolutely unacceptable!!!!

The steakhouse manager did come back and offer my husband his meal for free, which we did accept. At this point, the meal was ruined, I was extremely upset and all I wanted to do was get the check and get out (the heck with dessert). After waiting another 15 minutes for the check (at which point we were ready to just walk out - they had our sail and sign number for the charges), the steakhouse manager brings the check to us along with a Happy Anniversary dessert and candles (was the waiter too embarrassed to bring us the check, since he listened in on our conversation, reported it to the steakhouse manager and she came out and told us that we were overhead?). I could not believe that, after berating me like a three year old child, the steakhouse manager would bring out a dessert for our anniversary - absolutely, positively unacceptable. I refused to blow out the candles on the dessert (as this was no longer a celebration but a train wreck). My husband pinched them out and we went on our way.

If I had let it, this experience would have ruined our entire cruise. Instead, I went outside, cooled off and we then enjoyed the rest of our evening (and our cruise). The free meal was not worth the aggravation. As long as the current steakhouse manager is still in that role, I will never dine in this steakhouse again.

I had a similar experience some years ago on the Glory but not this bad.

Took over 3 hours to finish and the place was empty service that bad.

Could not find waiter for quite a while and had to find manager to ask where our steaks were and than he brught them and they were rather fatty wilth a not much edible meat.

Nobody ever came back to check on us or offer seconds on sides.

Told waiter when we finally got our check how bad service was and he shrugged his shoulders.

Complained to manager on way out and she wasnt at all sympathetic and offered nothing other than apology.

Have been to steakhouse on at least 6 other occasion on other ships and only complimentary things to say but think this is possible.

Couldnt see it ruining my cruise though.

I had a similar experience some years ago on the Glory but not this bad.

Took over 3 hours to finish and the place was empty service that bad.

Could not find waiter for quite a while and had to find manager to ask where our steaks were and than he brught them and they were rather fatty wilth a not much edible meat.

Nobody ever came back to check on us or offer seconds on sides.

Told waiter when we finally got our check how bad service was and he shrugged his shoulders.

Complained to manager on way out and she wasnt at all sympathetic and offered nothing other than apology.

Have been to steakhouse on at least 6 other occasion on other ships and only complimentary things to say but think this is possible.

Couldnt see it ruining my cruise though.

I have never been offered seconds on sides unless you are talking bread.

Wouldn't have ruined my cruise either if this happened to us.

It's hard not to get flamed when you pick apart every single aspect of the experience but I realize that once something is a bad experience, even the little things will seem big as they all add up. But even with that in mind, some things seem nit picky to me, such as that the waiter and assistant waiter did not introduce themselves so you didn't know who to ask when you needed something. I've been to many expensive restaurants where the staff did not introduce themselves. If I needed something or my food was not bad, I would have flagged someone down but that's just me. On the other hand, I understand that an in edible steak at a specialty restaurant is not acceptable but it just sounds like you say there fuming in silence.

What I'm really curios about is this - If you were talking loud enough for the waiter to hear your plan to complain at guest services, what did you expect him to do ? ... Just let you leave and go there to complain? I think the waiter did the right thing to tell the manager and the manager did the right thing to take over service of your table from him. It seems like the manager was protecting his/her servers from being the subject of a complaint and hopefully he/she was also trying to improve your experience. So at this point in the dining experience, how do you think they should have handled it differently?

And you just plain weren't gracious about the anniversary dessert that was offered. That's totally wrong if it was anything chocolate. :)

My last cruise was in January and my last cruise before that was 10 years ago. Overall I felt the food quality had significantly diminished in that time period to the point where I would not even consider spending money in a specialty restaurant now.

I still appreciate your opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"What I'm really curios about is this - If you were talking loud enough for the waiter to hear your plan to complain at guest services, what did you expect him to do ? ... Just let you leave and go there to complain? I think the waiter did the right thing to tell the manager and the manager did the right thing to take over service of your table from him. It seems like the manager was protecting his/her servers from being the subject of a complaint and hopefully he/she was also trying to improve your experience. So at this point in the dining experience, how do you think they should have handled it differently?"

As I would have done, I would not have said anything about the conversation overheard nor berated my customer for having the conversation. Instead, I would apologize for the incident, stated that I was looking into what could be done about it and possibly taken over service of the table (if I could provide that service in a timely fashion, which she could not as we did wait 15 minutes for our check). I would never let a customer know that a fellow employee overheard a guests' conversation and reported it back to me. There are ways of handling these types of situations without berating the customer.

For those considering dining in the Carnival Splendor Pinnacle steakhouse, below please find my experience dining in the steakhouse on July 21, 2014. This review is based on our dining experience - no flaming, please. :)

Upon arriving at the steakhouse, there was no one to seat us. Even though staff saw us waiting, it took at least five minutes for someone (the steakhouse manager) to come out of a back room to seat us (none of the wait staff notified her that we were waiting). We were the only ones waiting.

The service in the steakhouse was the worst I have ever experienced in a specialty restaurant (25 cruises and at least 25 specialty restaurants). The waiter and waitress never introduced themselves as to who was the waiter and the assistant waiter. We had no idea who was responsible for what.

When my husband tried to order a ginger beer, the waitress had no idea what he was talking about. Instead, my husband went with a regular beer. 15 minutes later our drinks arrived. When we ordered the second round of drinks, they were delivered promptly but my Coke was a Diet Coke. The waiter stated that he told the bartender a Coke – I told him it was no problem, the bartender must have made a mistake and could he kindly replace the Diet Coke with a Coke (I cannot tolerate aspartame). This was done grudgingly (I am not sure why).

As for the food, the shrimp in my husband's shrimp cocktail were slightly larger than those served in the main dining room. From the look and taste, it was obvious that they were previously frozen and thawed, not cooked (very different than the very large, very plump shrimp he was served on the Carnival Sunshine six weeks prior). The crab cake, even though filled with crab, was dry (the crab cake the next night in the dining room was much better, even with less crab). My French onion soup was burnt – when the waitress came back and I told her it was burnt, there was no offer of another. The Caesar salad was bland. The worst part was my husband's strip loin. After the first few bites, the steak was too tough to cut with a knife, never mind trying to chew it. After trying to navigate the steak, he gave up. No one checked on us after serving the meal until 30 minutes later.

When the waiter came back and asked how the meal was, my husband told him that his steak was terrible (extremely tough). The waiter had no comment and just took our plates away. The steakhouse manager then arrived at the table to ask why my husband did not send the steak back (my husband, unlike I, has never sent a meal back in his life). My husband said that, at this point, it was not worth it. The steakhouse manager did offer another steak but my husband no longer wanted it after the bad taste the current one left in his mouth nor did he want to wait another 30 minutes for another meal to be cooked. The steakhouse manager said okay and walked away. Never did she mention that she would see what she could do to rectify the situation nor did she apologize for the terrible cut of beef that was served.

After she walked away, I told my husband that I was not paying full price for his mostly horrendous meal (we had eaten in the Carnival Sunshine steakhouse six weeks prior and enjoyed a fabulous meal). I told my husband that we would go to Guest Services and complain (as the steakhouse manager did not seem to care to make it right). It was at this point that male waiter came over and asked about our dessert order (and overheard our conversation).

The next thing I know, the steakhouse manager comes over and states, "There is no reason to go to Guest Services. I am handling it here and checking to see what can be done." I was mortified that, not only did the waiter tell her the conversation that was overheard, but instead of coming back and apologizing for the meal and possibly offering some type of compensation, she treated me like a three year old child being spied upon by her staff – absolutely unacceptable!!!!

The steakhouse manager did come back and offer my husband his meal for free, which we did accept. At this point, the meal was ruined, I was extremely upset and all I wanted to do was get the check and get out (the heck with dessert). After waiting another 15 minutes for the check (at which point we were ready to just walk out - they had our sail and sign number for the charges), the steakhouse manager brings the check to us along with a Happy Anniversary dessert and candles (was the waiter too embarrassed to bring us the check, since he listened in on our conversation, reported it to the steakhouse manager and she came out and told us that we were overhead?). I could not believe that, after berating me like a three year old child, the steakhouse manager would bring out a dessert for our anniversary - absolutely, positively unacceptable. I refused to blow out the candles on the dessert (as this was no longer a celebration but a train wreck). My husband pinched them out and we went on our way.

If I had let it, this experience would have ruined our entire cruise. Instead, I went outside, cooled off and we then enjoyed the rest of our evening (and our cruise). The free meal was not worth the aggravation. As long as the current steakhouse manager is still in that role, I will never dine in this steakhouse again.

Sorry you had a bad experience. We have dined in Carnival steakhouses over 15 times and 3 in the Splendor steakhouse and have never received anything close to what you describe. We will be on her 8/4 and plan to visit twice (once being the first evening). I will report back on our cruise and steakhouse experience when I return.

If you were talking loud enough for the waiter to hear your plan to complain at guest services, what did you expect him to do ? ... Just let you leave and go there to complain? I think the waiter did the right thing to tell the manager and the manager did the right thing to take over service of your table from him. It seems like the manager was protecting his/her servers from being the subject of a complaint and hopefully he/she was also trying to improve your experience. So at this point in the dining experience, how do you think they should have handled it differently?

I agree with this completely!

I also believe the OP's story. We've not had as many cruises or steakhouse experiences. However, after about 1/2 dozen steakhouse experiences, we came to expect nothing but awesome service and amazing food. But on our honeymoon cruise, of all times, we had such an awful experience we didn't think we'd ever step foot in a steakhouse again.

Thankfully, a couple cruises later, we decided to give it another shot and were super happy to see service and food back up to our expectations.

As with anything, anywhere, there are going to be the (hopefully only occasional) occurences of bad service, bad food or someone's bad day. Hopefully you can put it behind you and not let it cause you to believe that the problem is specific to a certain ship and that ship will always be bad. I'm certain that's not the case. But I can't deny it puts a damper on the mood.

I visited the steakhouse on Splendor on the first evening of the cruise (July 15th)

We had a reservation for 6pm and it is my understanding that the restaurant is supposed to be open at 5:30.

We arrived at 5:55 and were told that they needed a few minutes. Then for the next atleast 10+ or so minutes they had what I can only assume was a pre-dinner staff meeting where all the staff was standing in a circle by tables near the front of the restauant.

I was mildly irritated about it because it seemed odd that they would not have done this at 5:15 before the restaurant opened.... or when guests with reservations were waiting outside that they would have at least sped it up so that they weren't making us wait until after our reservation time.

BUT after we sat down everything went great from there. I found the service and the meal to be just wonderful. We enjoyed it so much that we booked it for our last night of the cruise---which was the day after the OP dined there.

Our second visit, on Tues, July 22, was much the same. We thoroughly enjoyed the meal and were quite satisfied with the service. Neither of us had the strip loin on either visit so I cannot comment on that particular item (that the OPs DH had)

Of course I didn't have any problems, so I also cannot comment on the attitude of the staff with that regard either. The manager did visit our table on both visits and seemed to be pleasant enough, but again, I didn't have anything negative to say about the meal.

Sorry the OP had that experience, but don't let it deter you from a visit to Spendor's steakhouse cause you may just end up with my experience instead!

Now if we were to talk room service...then that's a whole different ballgame...wrong delivery and no delivery....

I will say that the Ahi Tuna Tartare was excellent and the Filet Mignon good (but I have had better). Can't comment on dessert as we did not try it on this cruise but I would recommend the Chocolate Sampler - did not disappoint on the Carnival Sunshine.

Having cruised for 17 years, I guess I am used to great food and great service and never having any issues. My husband did not want me to book the steakhouse and was happy when I did (as many of the meals on our cruise were not great). I was so disappointed that his meal did not live up to his expectations.

Now if we were to talk room service...then that's a whole different ballgame...wrong delivery and no delivery....

Talking room service, we had one morning when it arrived 45 minutes late with no fork for the salmon (of course, the day we were going to Half Moon Cay when the entire ship is going to the same beach). The other two days, room service arrived promptly.

Very hard to believe that everything was bad.

I don't find the story unbelievable at all. But it goes to show you that there can be very inconsistent results, even in the same steakhouse! While the OPs experience was negative, others have raved about their positive experiences even in this same steakhouse.

It's a mark of poor management to have such inconsistent results. And the manager definitely could have handled this much differently in order to delight their customer in spite of some of the issues.

Wow! That is crazy and I can see why you were upset. I definitely would have let guest services and the CD know about your experience (I still would if you have not). One thing I have learned about Carnival is they are good at tightening things up such as that when it is brought to their attention. That type of situation falls upon the manager of the steakhouse. He could have been new and was not ready for the responsibility, whatever the case he needs some more training before he is allowed resume in that role.

As a chef I know that sometimes a piece of meat can be tough as shoe leather and another piece on another day smooth as butter, both cooked exactly the same. Was also taught in Dining room service class that the entree course is the star attraction of the meal and the most costly. A server should always check back after guests have tasted it, especially a steak to see if it was cooked to the proper temperature and if it is tender. I would not have waited 30 minutes... If 10 minutes had gone by with the server AWOL I would have asked the hostess or another server to find them for me. They should have responded with a replacement entree that would have become the next ticket in line for the line.

I know one thing no biggie, two things a little irritating, one more oops starting to worry. But it seems this night went wheels off. Getting his charge removed would have been my goal. So I would not have cared how it came to be as s

Long as it did.

Sorry you had a bad experience. We have dined in Carnival steakhouses over 15 times and 3 in the Splendor steakhouse and have never received anything close to what you describe. We will be on her 8/4 and plan to visit twice (once being the first evening). I will report back on our cruise and steakhouse experience when I return.

Looking forward to your comments about the steakhouse when you return.. Hope it's a positive experience!

Looking forward to your steakhouse experience report when you return.

Looking forward to your comments about the steakhouse when you return.. Hope it's a positive experience!

Me too lol. I will do a full review as well. I finally got around doing one when we sailed on the Oasis in March. Before that I was both apprehensive in doing one (there are so many here who do really good ones) and I thought it would be like homework while in the cruise. Not that I can remember that far back. I found I really enjoyed doing it. You can count on both from me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If I experienced a long wait or had an issue with a meal, I wouldn't wait for them to come to me, I would get up and find someone. I know it shouldn't work like that, but I wouldn't just sit and wait and grow increasingly frustrated.

If the staff overheard me complaining, I would hope that they would address it. Some people are passive aggressive and will complain loudly without directly voicing specific complaints and allowing the staff to have an opportunity to address and resolve the issues. Therefore, staff should be ready to handle problems whether voiced directly or indirectly.

If anyone on staff had shrugged off problems or failed to take the initiative when a problem or disappointment was mentioned, I would be disappointed. If they told me that they would look into what could be done without the inconvenience of a trip to guest services, I would appreciate it. If they offered the disappointing meal for free, I would feel that the matter was pretty much settled. If they brought out a celebration dessert, I would accept it graciously and enjoy it with my wife.

So I can understand why this was a disappointing meal and I sympathize with the person who posted about it, even though I think I would have felt and responded a bit differently. If I did choose to have a meal there, I would keep this negative review in mind but still give it a shot, being mindful of the potential problems.

Edited by dad2my3

Just to be clear on this post - when I mentioned going to Guest Services, this was done in a low voice as there was a table sitting next to us and I was keeping my voice down. Unbeknownst to me (as my back was to the dining room - we were sitting in a corner), the waiter had come up behind me when I made that comment (coming to bring our dessert menu). Therefore, this was said quietly and discreetly, not in a loud booming voice.

What upset me the most was how this was handled. I work with customers all the time. It is rude to not only let a customer know that a private conversation was overheard but also rude to walk away after a complaint without at least saying, "Let me see what I can do for you." If the manager treated the situation in a more classy way, I wouldn't have been so upset over it.

Our only steakhouse experience has been on the Pride, multiple times per cruise and it has always been fantastic. Sorry to the OP that they had such a terrible experience there. The steakhouse is always one of the things that DW looks forward to the most (she isn't a fan of the MDR food) and if we had an experience that bad, it would be a huge hit to DW & I's enjoyment of the overall cruise - it is always a highlight of our time spent on-board the Pride.

I will be on the 9/13 Splendor sailing. I have a reservation booked for the steakhouse. i will look out for your review. Hopefully everything is excellent. I dined in the Splendor steakhouse twice on my Jan 2014 cruise and it was outstanding. I loved the shrimp cocktail and the surf and turf. Hopefully everythig is up to par and not downgraded.:cool:

I will be on the 9/13 Splendor sailing. I have a reservation booked for the steakhouse. i will look out for your review. Hopefully everything is excellent. I dined in the Splendor steakhouse twice on my Jan 2014 cruise and it was outstanding. I loved the shrimp cocktail and the surf and turf. Hopefully everythig is up to par and not downgraded.:cool:

I will post my review (and am not disparaging the op in any way). Dry rub ribeye is already calling me:D