I will continue to sail on HAL if balcony smoking is permitted.

legalslave

As non-smokers, we will continue to sail on HAL with its current smoking policy. The current smoking policy has not deterred us thus far and will not deter us in the future. We have sailed next to passengers who have smoked on their balconies next to us and below us and it does not bother us.

I am a firm believer, based on my cruising on HAL ships, that smoking on HAL ships is just an issue for a small number of CC posters only and not an issue for HAL and the vast majority of its passengers. Smoking is a Cruise Critic issue, not a HAL issue. There is a considerable difference between the two.

Here here! animated-smileys-drinking-004.gif

I will continue to sail on HAL until they ban smoking on the verandahs, after that, who knows. I may take my hard earned money elsewhere.

Have over 400 days but if they take away veranda smoking we are finished. Have always been polite and discreet with it but some people on the board makes us feel like pariahs. Just don't need the hassle.

Have over 400 days but if they take away veranda smoking we are finished. Have always been polite and discreet with it but some people on the board makes us feel like pariahs. Just don't need the hassle.

I feel the same way. It amazes me how rude the non-smoking cadre can be around here. I'm also amazed at the number of cruises completely ruined by cigarette smoke. Surely HAL recognizes this...or maybe not.

I feel the same way. It amazes me how rude the non-smoking cadre can be around here. I'm also amazed at the number of cruises completely ruined by cigarette smoke. Surely HAL recognizes this...or maybe not.

Something of a generalisation! From the other side of the fence, I have seen most of the vitriol come from the smokers, who have been in defensive mode. I know - I used to be one.

I've noticed many names on this thread that I've never seen on the HAL board. Some may be from other boards or just don't post that often. I'm sure some will fill up the balconies until HAL changes their policy.

Edited by kjw869

Once again, I can't help but be amused by the huge response to this thread, not to mention the number of views, when so many people groan about another smoking thread or how they'd like to see them banned. CC members obviously love them! Personally, I've found it quite helpful in that I learned how balcony smoke can hug the side of the ship, among other things. But I do believe that what some have said is probably true--that it is more of a non-issue on the cruises themselves than on these boards!

Edited by lollytw

Once again, I can't help but be amused by the huge response to this thread, not to mention the number of views, when so many people groan about another smoking thread or how they'd like to see them banned. CC members obviously love them! Personally, I've found it quite helpful in that I learned how balcony smoke can hug the side of the ship, among other things. But I do believe that what some have said is probably true--that it is more of a non-issue on the cruises themselves than on these boards!

The interesting thing about this thread is that they question (and accordingly the replies) can be read two entirely different ways.

A smoker may be inclined to say he will not continue to sail HAL if smoking is banned on balconies, but that he will, of course, continue to sail HAL if balcony smoking remains.

A non-smoker migh be inclined to say he will no longer sail HAL if balcony smoking remains; or he might not care.

For the answers to have meaning, the smoking/non-smoking status of the responder has to be taken into account.

Please reply ONLY if you will continue to sail on HAL if smoking is permitted on balconies. No other replies asked. Please respect the statement.

Diane

I would never book a balcony on HAL due to their smoking policies.

As for the "no other replies asked" is kinda silly; why even bother posting this if all you want is the same answer.

As for the "no other replies asked" is kinda silly; why even bother posting this if all you want is the same answer.

To gauge the number of people who are either smokers or are not bothered by smoke?????????????

The interesting thing about this thread is that they question (and accordingly the replies) can be read two entirely different ways.

A smoker may be inclined to say he will not continue to sail HAL if smoking is banned on balconies, but that he will, of course, continue to sail HAL if balcony smoking remains.

A non-smoker migh be inclined to say he will no longer sail HAL if balcony smoking remains; or he might not care.

For the answers to have meaning, the smoking/non-smoking status of the responder has to be taken into account.

Reply only if you will continue to sail on HAL if smoking is permitted on balconies

Seems to be straight forward and should not need to be dependent on smokers vs non smokers

If you will sail answers the question If you will not no reply or explanation needed

To gauge the number of people who are either smokers or are not bothered by smoke?????????????

Really???? Oh yes, this is a very scientific poll, of course, accurate and giving a true picture of what all HAL's regular cruisers would prefer.:D

No, it also involves people who are not smokers, who are bothered by smoke, but perhaps not to the extent that they will give up HAL because their fondness for HAL outweighs their dislike of breathing other people's smoke.

However, their allegiance to HAL might not survive if ALL other lines became so restrictive that all cruisers who smoked wound up on HAL. Given this not altogether unimaginable variable, a non-smoker who today would elect to sail with HAL if they continued to permit balcony smoking might find HAL uninhabitable if all other lines became much more restrictive.

In this context the poll is largely pointless because it is trying to function in a vacuum by ignoring evolving policies on other lines.

No, it also involves people who are not smokers, who are bothered by smoke, but perhaps not to the extent that they will give up HAL because their fondness for HAL outweighs their dislike of breathing other people's smoke.

However, their allegiance to HAL might not survive if ALL other lines became so restrictive that all cruisers who smoked wound up on HAL. Given this not altogether unimaginable variable, a non-smoker who today would elect to sail with HAL if they continued to permit balcony smoking might find HAL uninhabitable if all other lines became much more restrictive.

In this context the poll is largely pointless because it is trying to function in a vacuum by ignoring evolving policies on other lines.

I think your observation is true and, of course, brand loyalty extends to all cruise lines so that the scenario of all smokers flocking to HAL probably is an "unimaginable variable."

Well said on both counts.

Really???? Oh yes, this is a very scientific poll, of course, accurate and giving a true picture of what all HAL's regular cruisers would prefer.:D

The Op's question is an Action question not an Opinion question! It's asking will someone continue to sail which requires a simple answer of Yes or No. It's not asking what someone "prefers"!

The Op's question is an Action question not an Opinion question! It's asking will someone continue to sail which requires a simple answer of Yes or No. It's not asking what someone "prefers"!

Yes, maybe the question was too simple. A simple yes or no. This was not a some silly "scientific" poll, but a very basic simple question.

No where in this simple question did it ask what HAL cruisers "prefer", or if they smoked or didn't smoke. Anyone could give a simple yes or no answer.

Of course, it only could be seen by a few percent of regular HAL cruisers.

As you all may know we are implementing a new approach for discussions of smoking policies on Holland America ships.

For information on how the new approach was originated, please see this thread: Poll: Single Smoking Thread on the HAL Board - a Sticky.

Accordingly please continue the discussion in this, now closed, thread in the new thread which you will find in this link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2084364

Thanks.

Edited by Host Walt