is proof of citizenship needed for cruise to nowhere

bumorgan

I have a friend who has lived here in the states for years after her visa expired. She does keep her Columbian passport up to date. I would love to take her on a cruise to the islands but this is not possible. I'm hoping since a cruise to nowhere does not stop anywhere all we would need is a photo id. Does anyone know what id we would need. Thanks in advance.

Dan

Edited by bumorgan

The documents are required to reenter the USA. This has nothing to do with what island you don't go to. You are leaving the USA and need to go through both Immigration and Customs to get back into the USA.

just to expand on Donray's response as it may or may not be confusing to some:

Even though there are no ports of call for the CTN out of NY; they do leave US Waters and thus when returning are still subject to the same laws as if was a cruise which included stops to places such as Bermuda and/or any other foreign country.

If the cruise stayed entirely in US waters this information MAY be different however the only cruise that this would apply to, would be the Pride Of America.

I know its sort of a foreign concept that since your not stopping anywhere you are not leaving the country - but as far as the country and international law is concerned - you are in fact leaving the country and just returning without any stops.

just to expand on Donray's response as it may or may not be confusing to some:

Even though there are no ports of call for the CTN out of NY; they do leave US Waters and thus when returning are still subject to the same laws as if was a cruise which included stops to places such as Bermuda and/or any other foreign country.

If the cruise stayed entirely in US waters this information MAY be different however the only cruise that this would apply to, would be the Pride Of America.

I know its sort of a foreign concept that since your not stopping anywhere you are not leaving the country - but as far as the country and international law is concerned - you are in fact leaving the country and just returning without any stops.

You have left the country, but the reentry document requirements are different. A non-enhanced license is sufficient as identification. Given the situation it would still be a risk.

Have you considered Hawaii? You could ask someone who has been on this cruise to verify, but I assume that it stays in US waters and there are no customs procedures.

The original post may have confused some folks.

This is NOT about a cruise that goes somewhere, and the passenger does not get off.

This is NOT about a Hawaii cruise.

This is about a cruise to nowhere. The ship sails out to sea for a day, or two and comes back. Since it never went to a foreign port, I believe the rules are different.

I do not remember showing any ID or filling out any forms when we did one out of NYC a few years back.

When I went on a 2 nt CTN back in January, I don't think anything other than photo id was required to get on the ship. Coming back in, we did have to fill out the customs forms, and theoretically needed the passport. That said, it was the quickest walk off ever - just handed the customs forms to the agent as I walked off the gangway, and was on my merry way. Because there is technically a customs check, there is some risk in the scenario tha the OP described.

The original post may have confused some folks.

This is NOT about a cruise that goes somewhere, and the passenger does not get off.

This is NOT about a Hawaii cruise.

This is about a cruise to nowhere. The ship sails out to sea for a day, or two and comes back. Since it never went to a foreign port, I believe the rules are different.

I do not remember showing any ID or filling out any forms when we did one out of NYC a few years back.

You still have to do on-line check in and that list does get sent to Homeland security and they can remove them from the ship or worse deport them.

I went on (6) 1 nighters on the Gem from Nov-May and I believe it was in February the atrium was flooded with cops and they were looking for someone who had an outstanding warrant. It was actually kinda scary cause they all had machine guns and full assault gear on. I happened to come around a corner by an elevator and went straight into 1 of them. (Thats how I found out it was a warrant)

Whoever thought they were having a nice party atmosphere for the night wound up with a MAJOR hangover and they never even got to drink.

Moral to the story......Don't risk it.

I don't think it would be worth the risk. It seems like there would be a good chance she could end up being deported if they do check the passengers.

After reading the responses I agree it is not worth the risk. Oh well Vegas here we come. Thanks guys.

Dan

After reading the responses I agree it is not worth the risk. Oh well Vegas here we come. Thanks guys.

Dan

Puerto Rico is another good option if you can fly. all you need is a photo ID(valid driving license or valid passport) for airlines. No customs or immigration as PR is part of USA. you have beautiful beaches there too... Make sure if you visit any islands.... it is part of USA not UK... because some islands around PR are USA's and some UK's.

I would suggest you call Norwegian to find out.

We have done at least a dozen CTN. We use a (non-enhanced) driver's license only as ID for a CTN. I will say that using a passport is quicker at check in because they have to type in our entire DL # as our ID.

Only in 2013 did we have to start filling out a CUSTOMS form to declare purchases. There is NO immigration upon returning from a CTN. You did not step foot onto any other country. You hand in your customs card only.

Note that when filling out your cruise info in your booking, it will ask citizenship questions. US citizens need only show a photo ID. Not sure how it works for anyone else.

Edited by mizlorinj

Puerto Rico is another good option if you can fly. all you need is a photo ID(valid driving license or valid passport) for airlines. No customs or immigration as PR is part of USA. you have beautiful beaches there too... Make sure if you visit any islands.... it is part of USA not UK... because some islands around PR are USA's and some UK's.

They still run passengers' names through databases and if I am understanding it correctly OP's friend is undocumented, which would show up in a database check.