GeoBlueTrekker, Blue CrossBlue Shield

sail7seas

For those in U.S. on medicare and who have Blue Cross as Medex plan, have you used GeoBlue Trekker for medical/evacuation coverage for travel?

Any information about it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
For those in U.S. on medicare and who have Blue Cross as Medex plan, have you used GeoBlue Trekker for medical/evacuation coverage for travel?

Any information about it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I am in the same situation and considering buying GeoBlue . I too would like any information.

Thanks, G

Yes, we have had GeoBlue for some time...as they replaced our previous annual HTH Policy. And I am on Medicare with an Aetna Supplemental policy. GeoBlue is typical of most decent secondary policies which essentially become primary for Medicare covered folks traveling outside the US (unless you have one of the rare supplementals that give some coverage outside the US).

Hank

Yes, we have had GeoBlue for some time...as they replaced our previous annual HTH Policy. And I am on Medicare with an Aetna Supplemental policy. GeoBlue is typical of most decent secondary policies which essentially become primary for Medicare covered folks traveling outside the US (unless you have one of the rare supplementals that give some coverage outside the US).

Hank

Did you ever make a claim?

If so, how was the experience?

They're all great until you make a claim. :) None of us know how good our coverage until our claim is approved.

All so true. We personally spent over thirty years working in the Health Insurance Industry and know this all too well. However, experience tells us that the Blues are pretty good at paying claims. A majority of claim payment problems (with legit companies) happen because the initial claim is not accurate or does not have all the required info...or there is a so-called Third Party Liability (called TPL) issue.

With this type of travel insurance, one needs to always be cognizant that its a "secondary" payor. So if you can get a rejection from your primary payor and submit it with a claim...it goes a long way to speeding up the payment process. With Medicare, there is no issue with out of country claims since they do not provide any coverage (there are 2 exceptions). But if you have a supplemental Medicare policy it might have some out of country coverage which will have to be resolved prior to getting a claim paid.

Hank

All so true. We personally spent over thirty years working in the Health Insurance Industry and know this all too well. However, experience tells us that the Blues are pretty good at paying claims. A majority of claim payment problems (with legit companies) happen because the initial claim is not accurate or does not have all the required info...or there is a so-called Third Party Liability (called TPL) issue.

With this type of travel insurance, one needs to always be cognizant that its a "secondary" payor. So if you can get a rejection from your primary payor and submit it with a claim...it goes a long way to speeding up the payment process. With Medicare, there is no issue with out of country claims since they do not provide any coverage (there are 2 exceptions). But if you have a supplemental Medicare policy it might have some out of country coverage which will have to be resolved prior to getting a claim paid.

Hank

Are you referring to the $50,000 lifetime limit?

I have noticed that Geoblue cannot be used in the US protectorates. Does Medicare cover in these areas? What about Med Evac from these areas (Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, etc.)?

That is a great question. The policy is for "foreign travel" and PR and the US Virgin Islands are considered part of the US by most insurance policies. And Medicare does cover those territories. As to the Med Evac, it does appear that the GeoBlue policy considers PR and the USVI as part of the "Home Country" which means they would not provide evacuation from those places.

As to Medicare, the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa are considered part of the U.S.

Hank

Did you ever make a claim?

If so, how was the experience?

Had to revisit this issue since these policies are complex. We had originally obtained the policy through HTH International which later changed the policy name over to GeoBlue. But when reading the policy it appears to be the same policy administrator. 2 years ago, while on a HAL cruise, DW got a respiratory infection and went to the ship's physician. He told her "she was not sick enough" and sent her packing with an over the counter cough medicine and a bill of about $105! Two days later the nurse called her and suggested she return so they could take another look...(and charge us another $105) and probably say "you are not sick enough."

When we got home DW (who was not on Medicare at the time) submitted the claim to her primary Blue Shield PPO provider. They approved the claim, but paid zero dollars because of her out-of-network deductible. We then submitted this info (along with the claim form) to HTH who paid $55 (the bill less the normal $50 deductible).

And as an aside, when we returned home (which was about 2 weeks after seeing the ship's doctor) DW still had some respiratory problems and went to our own physician. Apparently the "not sick enough" problem had led to some chronic inflammation in her bronchial tubes...which was eventually resolved with some steroids.

Hank

That is a great question. The policy is for "foreign travel" and PR and the US Virgin Islands are considered part of the US by most insurance policies. And Medicare does cover those territories. As to the Med Evac, it does appear that the GeoBlue policy considers PR and the USVI as part of the "Home Country" which means they would not provide evacuation from those places.

As to Medicare, the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa are considered part of the U.S.

Hank

Thanks Hank. DH turns 65 just before our Caribbean in December. It leaves from PR, but every other island would be considered foreign. He just better stay healthy for the one night stay in PR because I can't think of a way of getting the med/evac covered, without buying a specific evacuation plan.

It just occurred to me that I'm also not covered for med-evac in PR, since I'm pretty sure that isn't a covered benefit under my health plan. Oh we'll, guess we'll just have to hope that we are happy with hospitals in PR if anything happens.

Thanks Hank. DH turns 65 just before our Caribbean in December. It leaves from PR, but every other island would be considered foreign. He just better stay healthy for the one night stay in PR because I can't think of a way of getting the med/evac covered, without buying a specific evacuation plan.

Medical/evacuation policies can be purchased for a very low premium. What sends travel insurance premiums high is coverage for cancellation. If you only insure for medical/evacuation, it is almost silly to not for such low cost. (In the range of around $100 for two people.)

Medical/evacuation policies can be purchased for a very low premium. What sends travel insurance premiums high is coverage for cancellation. If you only insure for medical/evacuation, it is almost silly to not for such low cost. (In the range of around $100 for two people.)

Yes, I have done that in the past....putting in the trip cost as $1 (on the advice of the Trip Insurance Store people. Last trip we just went with the GeoBlue,, single trip (basically the same as the Trekker, but not annual.

I guess the issue is just what do the Med-evac cover under regular plans, vs. GeoBlue. Theoretically, if a couple on Medicare did a cruise leaving from Miami, visiting PR, San Juan and San Croix, and bought a GeoBlue (or had a GeoBlue annual Trekker) it seems they really don't have anything more than would be covered under Medicare. Well, at least in ports - I haven't the foggiest if Medicare covers (and supplemental or Advantage) on Medical on ships......Hank Help!!!!

Just occurred to me that Alaska cruises leaving from Seattle have basically the same issue.

Edited by buggins0402

Buggins answered the question, but we once had a debate at work about the "6 hour" rule. The way the Federal Regulation is written leaves much open to interpretation. Although it does say within 6 hours of a US port, it does not define the speed that would be used to determine the 6 hours. So lets say that you are on a ship that loses all power (like the Carnival ship) 15 miles outside Miami and somebody has a heart attack on the ship. (this is fiction so lets forget about the Coast Guard evacuation the person). Now that person runs up a huge medical bill onboard but since the ship broke down...it takes 2 days for them to get towed back to the port. So where they truly "6 hours" from the port? Of if a ship as 100 miles outside a US port and cruising at 12 knots it would be more then 6 hours from the port...but the ship could speed-up to 20 knots and easily be within 6 hours. This is the kind of thing that drives government/insurance technocrats nutz.

As to a great Med Evac plan, we think the best is offered through Medjet Assist. Their policy is somewhat unique in that it lets the patient make the determination when they want to be evacuated. The reality is that almost none of the other policies makes it a physician and insurance company decision. That is why evac is so darn cheap. It is rarely ever approved.

Hank

Buggins answered the question, but we once had a debate at work about the "6 hour" rule. The way the Federal Regulation is written leaves much open to interpretation. Although it does say within 6 hours of a US port, it does not define the speed that would be used to determine the 6 hours. So lets say that you are on a ship that loses all power (like the Carnival ship) 15 miles outside Miami and somebody has a heart attack on the ship. (this is fiction so lets forget about the Coast Guard evacuation the person). Now that person runs up a huge medical bill onboard but since the ship broke down...it takes 2 days for them to get towed back to the port. So where they truly "6 hours" from the port? Of if a ship as 100 miles outside a US port and cruising at 12 knots it would be more then 6 hours from the port...but the ship could speed-up to 20 knots and easily be within 6 hours. This is the kind of thing that drives government/insurance technocrats nutz.

As to a great Med Evac plan, we think the best is offered through Medjet Assist. Their policy is somewhat unique in that it lets the patient make the determination when they want to be evacuated. The reality is that almost none of the other policies makes it a physician and insurance company decision. That is why evac is so darn cheap. It is rarely ever approved.

Hank

Thanks Hank! Guess you are right about the evac - since they make the determination under the cheap policies.

Another wrinkle....I looked up the GeoBlue plan wording:

Trip Coverage Start Date: The Insured Person's coverage under the Policy for a trip during the Period of Insurance starts as stated below:

1. For a scheduled trip to a Foreign Country, when the Insured Person boards a conveyance at the start of the trip.

An Insured Person is eligible for benefits during his/her Period of Insurance ONLY during the Trip Coverage Period.

All applications, if applicable, must be approved by the Insurer for coverage to go into effect.

In no event will an Eligible Dependent’s coverage become effective prior to the Insured Participant’s Effective Date of Coverage.

How Period of Insurance Coverage Ends

Insured Persons

The Insured Person’s coverage ends without notice from the Insurer on the earlier of:

1. the end of the last period for which premium payment has been made to the Insurer;

2. the date the Policy terminates;

3. the date the Maximum Trip Coverage Period Benefit of the Plan has been exhausted;

4. the date of fraud or misrepresentation of a material fact by the Insured Participant, except as indicated in the Time Limit on Certain Defenses provision.

Trip Coverage End Date: The Insured Person's coverage under the Plan for a trip during the Period of Insurance ends as stated below:

1. For a scheduled trip to a Foreign Country, when the Insured Person alights from a conveyance at the completion of the trip.

2. On the Period of Insurance Termination Date. However, if the Insured Person has not canceled his/her coverage, then coverage for a trip will extend past the Period of Insurance Termination Date if the Insured Person's return is delayed by unforeseeable circumstances beyond his/her control. In this event, coverage will terminate as stated immediately above or, if earlier, 11:59 p.m. on the seventh day following the Period of Insurance Termination Date.

3. If the Insured Person is covered under the Medical Evacuation Benefit, upon the Insured Person's evacuation to the U.S.

The way I read this - someone is covered under the policy as long as soon as they start a trip to a foreign destination.

Yes, I have done that in the past....putting in the trip cost as $1 (on the advice of the Trip Insurance Store people. Last trip we just went with the GeoBlue,, single trip (basically the same as the Trekker, but not annual.

I guess the issue is just what do the Med-evac cover under regular plans, vs. GeoBlue. Theoretically, if a couple on Medicare did a cruise leaving from Miami, visiting PR, San Juan and San Croix, and bought a GeoBlue (or had a GeoBlue annual Trekker) it seems they really don't have anything more than would be covered under Medicare. Well, at least in ports - I haven't the foggiest if Medicare covers (and supplemental or Advantage) on Medical on ships......Hank Help!!!!

Just occurred to me that Alaska cruises leaving from Seattle have basically the same issue.

That proposed itinerary is illegal under PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act) by a non-U.S. flagged vessel. They cannot do it.

What is the reasoning for declaring the value of the trip as $1? Why make a declaration of value, at all? I have heard that suggestion before and do not understand it.

Thanks.

{/B]

That proposed itinerary is illegal under PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act) by a non-U.S. flagged vessel. They cannot do it.

What is the reasoning for declaring the value of the trip as $1? Why make a declaration of value, at all? I have heard that suggestion before and do not understand it.

Thanks.

{/B]

You're right...now it fits that most cruises (not a Mississippi River Cruise) would be covered under a GeoBlue - they all go to a foreign destination because of the PSVA.

Haven't a clue why the people at the Trip Insurance Store said that - perhaps it's a computer program issue?

My head is really spinning on all these medical insurance issues right now - along with looking at trip medical (annual vs. trip only), I'm looking at what Medicare supplement and Advantage policies for DH, and then buying the group plans here at work. Yikes!

Edited by buggins0402

Thanks.

{/B]

The declaration of value is only an issue with "Trip Insurance" which also covers trip cancellation/interruption. It is not relevant for medical.

As to that itinerary, the ships that do that type of itinerary will always make another stop...often at an out-island in the Bahamas in order to avoid PVSA issues. Places like Princess Cays not only are fun to visit, but serve the purpose of complying with the law.

Hank

Hank

Just to clarify and avoid confusion, MedJetAssist only applies once one is an INPATIENT in a hospital somewhere (more than 150 miles from 'home', I think).

Then, yes, and the important part we most like about this plan, the insured - not the insurance company - makes the decision about whether to be evacuated, and also the choice of specifically to which hospital, anywhere.

We like that we don't need to rely upon beancounters to decide if one is "sick enough" and that the local medical folks don't need to be put in the position of declaring themselves unqualified for the necessary care.

GeezerCouple