Help with LAX hotel

jkw2765

Due to a change in arrival time from our overnight flight from Sydney, we will be arriving in LAX at approximatley 9 am and not leaving until 10 the next morning. I am not sure how much sightseeing we will want to do after flying all night. I am looking for hotels close by LAX that have a shuttle. If we are just looking for a quiet place to rest with a restaurant, what is the recommended airport hotel? Thanks in advance for the help!

Look at the Sheraton Four Points LAX (make sure it's the airport one on Airport Blvd.). They offer 24 hours check-in so you should be able to get a room whenever you arrive, have a free shuttle, and have both a restaurant and a brew pub that offers good bar food and a large selection of beers and a full bar, multiple TV screens tuned to sports channels. There's a pool and a small shop for any forgotten necessities. It's not in an area for sightseeing, but none of the LAX hotels are.

Edited by Kartgv

There is not a lot of 'sightseeing' by LAX - so as long you are OK with spending time at the hotel you are OK. About the only thing you might do is book some kind of pick up and drop quick tour. You do not want to walk around the airport hotel area - not much there. Plan on meals in the hotel or at the airport.

If you are looking for limited sightseeing, shopping, or dining in the area you can catch the Big Blue Bus outside of the central terminal area. BBB is Santa Monica's municipal transit and it will take you up to SM. Lots of things to do in SM from eclectic to upscale.

There are also buses to the Manhattan Beach area.

Thanks for all the info. After reading the many reviews of the airport hotels, I think we might opt for the Wingate by Wyndam in Englewood. They have a shuttle and it seems to have better reviews. Input is appreciated.

After some research, we would like to see the USS Iowa. What would be the best way to get there? Does the shuttle go by that location? Thanks again for all the help!

Thanks for all the info. After reading the many reviews of the airport hotels, I think we might opt for the Wingate by Wyndam in Englewood. They have a shuttle and it seems to have better reviews. Input is appreciated.

After some research, we would like to see the USS Iowa. What would be the best way to get there? Does the shuttle go by that location? Thanks again for all the help!

I'm guessing you mean Inglewood. The USS Iowa is by the World Cruise Center (where the cruise ships are in San Pedro at the Port of Los Angeles). I believe the two places are about some 20 miles from each other. So you would have to get a taxi.

I hope you don't mind staying the day in an industrial area for a day.

Having lived in the LA area for 40+ years, I will tell you that you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT TO STAY in Inglewood. Others here have mentioned the Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton. Pick one of those and you'll do well. All have airport shuttles

NO one has a "shuttle" from LAX to the USS Iowa, although you might take the SuperShuttle or Primetime down to San Pedro (about 20 miles) and then make arrangements to return to your hotel.

As far as the Blue Bus and other "bus" transportation, certainly not on the list of any "wise" traveler with limited time.

As an aside, we have used the Marriott and the Crowne Plaza when flying and needing a place to park while we were gone.

Wow, thanks Slomo for the info. I guess one of the airport hotels it is. After traveling all night and not being one to be able to sleep on an airplane, not sure how much we will want to do. I guess we will book the hotel and leave the rest up to arrival time and how we feel. Thanks again for all the info!;)

Wow, thanks Slomo for the info. I guess one of the airport hotels it is. After traveling all night and not being one to be able to sleep on an airplane, not sure how much we will want to do. I guess we will book the hotel and leave the rest up to arrival time and how we feel. Thanks again for all the info!;)

I was thinking the same as slomotion, but was hoping someone who's more familiar with the area would actually state it. It certainly isn't an area to take public transit through (San Pedro is a bit more safe, relatively speaking, but unless you're familiar with LA, I don't suggest taking a bus anywhere as there are some dicey areas, and certainly around Inglewood there are and between LAX and SP, there are).

I wouldn't even stay by the airport unless I have an early morning flight out of there -- we did stay at the LAX Marriott after our wedding as we had an early, early flight to Honolulu the next day, but we were stuck there for the night and when we realized our stomachs were growling, room service had run out of just about everything on their menu so we instead devoured our honeymooners' gift from the hotel, a fruit basket and a bottle of bubbly.

Definitely don't stay in Inglewood...

If you must stay near LAX, keep to the hotels along Century Blvd. within those first three blocks or so of the airport...Do not venture East of the 405...

If you want close by alternatives, look South of LAX in El Segundo or North of LAX in Culver City (but not anywhere in Culver City--specifically the Doubletree or Four Points, possibly the Courtyard or Extended Stay America--all in the area near The Westfield Mall and The "Bridge"...but, for those areas, check with the hotels about LAX shuttles--some have had them at times, other times not...

If you stay at LAX, you will be pretty much stuck at your hotel and eating at the hotel..unless you want to brave LA area public transit...or grab some pricey taxi rides. The Santa Monica Big Blue Bus isn't bad...but you'd better be very sure of your routes, schedules and stops... It's the #3 line which will take you from LAX to 4th Street ..where you'd get off around Colorado Blvd or Wilshire Blvd to be closest to the Santa Monica attractions like the Third Street Promenade, the SM Pier and Palisades Park....and, there is another bus that just does a loop from the LAX hotel area down to Manhattan Beach...where you'll also find a lot of shopping and restaurants...

If you stayed in El Segundo or Culver City, nothing exciting, but you'd find things like Restaurants, shopping and movies nearby...Note: right near the Doubletree in Culver City is one of my old favorites and an LA institution...Dinah's...great Fried Chicken and a lot of other "comfort food" in a place that looks like it hasn't been remodeled since the 50s...an absolute classic...

http://www.dinahsrestaurant.com/

If you take a taxi from LAX, you might consider going to the end of Washington Blvd--where it hits the Pacific...Marina Del Rey is to your left, the Venice Boardwalk to your right...and a great restaurant, C&O Trattoria is right there...

http://www.cotrattoria.com/

Have fun...

Edited by Bruin Steve

We always stay at the Travelodge Hotel LAX Los Angeles Int'l at 5547 W Century Blvd. They have a free airport shuttle, you have to call or get the information booth at arrivals to call for you. The hotel is an old style motel, but very clean, free WIFI, breakfast and the best, it has a Denny's next door, open 24 hours a day. So, when jetlag hits at 3am, you can go next door for food.

We have reservations at the Renaissance Los Angeles Airport. We know there is not much to see or do, but we were looking for something nearby and then get a transfer to the port. We think we did okay.

We always stay at the Travelodge Hotel LAX Los Angeles Int'l at 5547 W Century Blvd. They have a free airport shuttle, you have to call or get the information booth at arrivals to call for you. The hotel is an old style motel, but very clean, free WIFI, breakfast and the best, it has a Denny's next door, open 24 hours a day. So, when jetlag hits at 3am, you can go next door for food.

Travelodge is at the corner of Century and Aviation. Construction just started on an elevated station for the light rail system (eventually bringing the metro system into the airport...what a revolutionary concept!) The immediate area will be a major construction site for the next 2 years. The noise, traffic, and night lighting could be disruptive or bothersome to surrounding hotels. If it's a problem, reviews on Tripadvisor, Yelp, etc. will start to mention it.

Definitely don't stay in Inglewood...

If you must stay near LAX, keep to the hotels along Century Blvd. within those first three blocks or so of the airport...Do not venture East of the 405...

If you want close by alternatives, look South of LAX in El Segundo or North of LAX in Culver City (but not anywhere in Culver City--specifically the Doubletree or Four Points, possibly the Courtyard or Extended Stay America--all in the area near The Westfield Mall and The "Bridge"...but, for those areas, check with the hotels about LAX shuttles--some have had them at times, other times not...

If you stay at LAX, you will be pretty much stuck at your hotel and eating at the hotel..unless you want to brave LA area public transit...or grab some pricey taxi rides. The Santa Monica Big Blue Bus isn't bad...but you'd better be very sure of your routes, schedules and stops... It's the #3 line which will take you from LAX to 4th Street ..where you'd get off around Colorado Blvd or Wilshire Blvd to be closest to the Santa Monica attractions like the Third Street Promenade, the SM Pier and Palisades Park....and, there is another bus that just does a loop from the LAX hotel area down to Manhattan Beach...where you'll also find a lot of shopping and restaurants...

If you stayed in El Segundo or Culver City, nothing exciting, but you'd find things like Restaurants, shopping and movies nearby...Note: right near the Doubletree in Culver City is one of my old favorites and an LA institution...Dinah's...great Fried Chicken and a lot of other "comfort food" in a place that looks like it hasn't been remodeled since the 50s...an absolute classic...

http://www.dinahsrestaurant.com/

If you take a taxi from LAX, you might consider going to the end of Washington Blvd--where it hits the Pacific...Marina Del Rey is to your left, the Venice Boardwalk to your right...and a great restaurant, C&O Trattoria is right there...

http://www.cotrattoria.com/

Have fun...

Wow, thanks Bruin Steve! I will look into Culver City and El Segundo as alternitives! Dinah's sounds great!

After some more research and talking to my parents, we want to stay at the Embassy Suites. So now the question becomes, the one on Airport Road at LAX or the one in El Segundo? The help is much appreciated! Thanks!