Pooh-sized Alaska on NCL

April7901

I'm booked to head to Alaska next May, and trying to plan my budget for shore excursions.

For a variety of reasons, I'd strongly prefer to book my excursions through NCL on this particular trip (i.e. mudslides, train derailments, heavy dense fog, etc). I've booked excursions on my own in Europe, I know it saves a ton of money, and I'm basically saying I don't care about that. So... let's save the lectures on that for another time. :)

That said - I'm genuinely interested in doing one helicopter tour, likely out of Juneau (since the Tracy Arm Fjords excursion likely won't be offered during my cruise). I'm also thinking about flightseeing out of Ketchikan.

As I've been researching on my own, I'm seeing all the mentions of surcharges for guests over 250 lbs - which makes perfect sense. What I'm wondering is - how much is that surcharge? Is it truly double the price (i.e. the dreaded "single supplement" - which I'm also subject to), or is it merely an added fee of something less than full fare? Let me be very clear in saying that I absolutely understand the necessity of the fee, and am more than willing to pay it. I'd just like to know what to expect, particularly from NCL-sponsored excursions.

Many thanks, in advance.

I know you said you don't want a discussion about using private tours, so please ignore this if you want, but I really would recommend you consider them, and not because of money.

We did a bear spotting flight in Ketchikan last year, using a private tour. We met up with some people who were on a cruise excursion and they were extremely unhappy with their tour. They got a fraction of the time that we did at the viewing spots. Other feedback we got from other NCL tours were similar.

I would really recommend you do a bit of research on what you actually get on these tours, compared to ones booked privately. From my research, the cost is comparable, but the experience is often a lot different.

Again, apologies if you didn't want this mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just picking a random helicopter excursion:

Guests 250 lbs. and over are charged an additional rate to reserve two seats for safety and comfort. These spaces are capacity controlled. You will not be able to book this option online. Please call 1.866.625.1167 for assistance with these reservations.

Probably wouldn't hurt to just call NCL.

I'm booked to head to Alaska next May, and trying to plan my budget for shore excursions.

For a variety of reasons, I'd strongly prefer to book my excursions through NCL on this particular trip (i.e. mudslides, train derailments, heavy dense fog, etc). I've booked excursions on my own in Europe, I know it saves a ton of money, and I'm basically saying I don't care about that. So... let's save the lectures on that for another time. :)

That said - I'm genuinely interested in doing one helicopter tour, likely out of Juneau (since the Tracy Arm Fjords excursion likely won't be offered during my cruise). I'm also thinking about flightseeing out of Ketchikan.

As I've been researching on my own, I'm seeing all the mentions of surcharges for guests over 250 lbs - which makes perfect sense. What I'm wondering is - how much is that surcharge? Is it truly double the price (i.e. the dreaded "single supplement" - which I'm also subject to), or is it merely an added fee of something less than full fare? Let me be very clear in saying that I absolutely understand the necessity of the fee, and am more than willing to pay it. I'd just like to know what to expect, particularly from NCL-sponsored excursions.

Many thanks, in advance.

I know you said "helicopter", but I'll give you this info anyway as I just checked the vendors website and they have NO weight restrictions or extra fees. They ask for your weight, but then will distribute the passengers in the planes so as not to be overweight. Everyone has a window seat.

We did this tour on our Alaska cruise in Juneau and it was THE highlight of our trip. It is through Wings Airways, and they are the tour provider for NCL and many other cruise lines. Their website will provide a link to the cruise for booking.

The tour is the Taku Lodge Feast and 5 Glacier Discovery Tour, 3 hours. You travel via float plane with 40 minutes of glacier flyover time and a landing on the Taku River at the remote and historic Taku Lodge where you'll relax and walk around the grounds or inside on the comfy couches, while they prepare the feast. There are only about 30 or so people there on the tour. Wood fire Grilled King Salmon or Chicken and lots of sides. I still think longingly about that food. The lodge is across the Taku river from the Taku Glacier, the largest in Juneau, and still moving. I can't tell you how spectacular the scenery was or what a thrill landing on that river was. If you are lucky, the smell of the grilled fish may attract the local bears onto the grounds. It was too early in the season for us.

The price is $297 per person for the 3 hour one. They have a short one, 40 minutes for $210, but not worth it in my book. It is pricey, but if I had to, I'd forego everything else to do it again.

I was doing research for our Alaska cruise next May as well... maybe the same one?? Anyway, I cannot recall which company it was but I recall seeing a $100.00 supplement fee for over 250lb.

We typically do outside tours as well, but I'm nervous like you and may end up booking with NCL.

I was doing research for our Alaska cruise next May as well... maybe the same one?? Anyway, I cannot recall which company it was but I recall seeing a $100.00 supplement fee for over 250lb.

We typically do outside tours as well, but I'm nervous like you and may end up booking with NCL.

Look at the Alaska board for good info on which private tours come highly recommended by those who are Alaska experts, and info on what there is to do in each port. For some tours, the trip you book through the ship may be exactly the same tour with the same vendor who also provides the same excursion for those not cruising.

But for some tours, for instance Whale watch ones, if you book through the ship you will be on a large boat with tons of other people. But there are a couple of private small boat tours, probably less than 10 people, which gives you a much superior experience, and are highly reliable and recommended.

Most tour operators in Alaska work frequently with cruise ship passengers. They are well aware of cruise schedules and are very reliable. They are not going to ruin their business by getting you back to the ship late. It is easy to check their reviews here on the Alaska board or over on Trip Advisor.

This may be the reason the OP wants to stick with NCL tours..........

Westerdam - July 15

Hope this works!

Yes, these things very rarely happen. For example, the Taku Lodge Flightseeing IS offered by the ship, so if a problem happens, you are covered. The example of the whale watch tours, both the ship and the private excursions go to the same area. You are not really that far from the ship, and none of them schedule so that you are arriving back with moments to spare.

For excursions which are remote, like flightseeing, or glacier hikes, I might lean toward the ship's excursion, but for many in which you go by road, or are not that far from port, I will go with the tour operator which provides the superior experience, but each must make their own decision.

Guests 250 lbs. and over are charged an additional rate to reserve two seats for safety and comfort. These spaces are capacity controlled. You will not be able to book this option online. Please call 1.866.625.1167 for assistance with these reservations.

If you are not a lot over 250lbs, talk to the tour operator. Every aircraft has it's own weight and balance calculation, which must be done before every flight. As long as aircraft is under MTOW (Max Takeoff Weight), you should be ok. MTOW is calculated with a weight of everything factored, even fuel. So, let's say, pilot will let you go on his last run before refueling, you may squeeze under MTOW and avoid the surcharge.

Company rules may not allow it, but never hurts to ask. And if you call them, ask them about what I said in this post.

I fly planes for fun, and usually calculations work out that I can take extra person after I burn off some fuel.

I also weighed the pros and cons, and decided to book the Taku Lodge Flightseeing (seaplane) excursion through NCL for late September on the Pearl. That way if weather or itinerary becomes an issue, no worries about refunds or missing the ship.

Helicopters are odd...they are very weight dependant...and even if you are under 250 lbs, they will seat each passenger to have the weight distributed correctly....so even if you pay extra, it's not that you'll get 2 seats "for your comfort"...it's just that they won't be able to put that extra person on the helicopter!

I also weighed the pros and cons, and decided to book the Taku Lodge Flightseeing (seaplane) excursion through NCL for late September on the Pearl. That way if weather or itinerary becomes an issue, no worries about refunds or missing the ship.

Great choice. You will have exactly the same tour they offer non cruise ship passengers. When you get to the lodge, look at the table set ups. We parked our stuff in our chosen chairs right away. The table closest to the big side window looks right out at the glacier. We were able to eat our meal with a glacier view. We did the little hike out behind the lodge with the guide after dinner. Easy walk. You go out to a little waterfall, and hear a lot about the trees, etc. Hope you get to see some bears. They should be very active in Sept., I think. They were still high up in the hills when we were there in May.

I know you said you don't want a discussion about using private tours, so please ignore this if you want, but I really would recommend you consider them, and not because of money.

We did a bear spotting flight in Ketchikan last year, using a private tour. We met up with some people who were on a cruise excursion and they were extremely unhappy with their tour. They got a fraction of the time that we did at the viewing spots. Other feedback we got from other NCL tours were similar.

I would really recommend you do a bit of research on what you actually get on these tours, compared to ones booked privately. From my research, the cost is comparable, but the experience is often a lot different.

Again, apologies if you didn't want this mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, I appreciate the dialogue, as it might help others. I'm definitely not looking to be part of a cattle call, and I'll be avoiding the "big bus" excursions. Truthfully, for things that are boat/sea based and only a couple hours duration, I may well book a private excursion. My roll call is also a far cry from active at this point, so who knows what will happen there. For things like float planes and helicopters - the groups can only be so big, you know? :)

I am another that actually recommends people to take the Shore Excursions from the Cruise Line ESPECIALLY in Alaska. Many cruisers become complacent when it comes to Alaska Tours, they figure what can go wrong I am still in the US, it is not like I am in a foreign country. To be truthful I have seen more bad things happen to people on Alaska Excursions than anywhere else. Remember many of these tour operators are not required to carry the amount of liability insurance (if any) that those do for the cruise lines. Also remember something silly like in Alaska most Teens learn to fly a plane before they learn to Drive a car, To receive your FAA Pilots license you can be 17 yrs of age. A few years ago I know of someone that decided to go with all non Cruise Line vendors for excursions some they found on CC and a few others I think they waited till they got to the port. They had pre reserved a float plane for Juneau but They got to Juneau and two young kids, boy and a girl had their sign so they went to them and yes they were on the list. At that point these people figured it was the pilots kids doing the shuttle service to get to the plane. Well to make a long story short. The Dad did own the company but his 17 yr old son and his 15 yr old sister were the guides, Dad was no where around and So the 17 yr old was going to be the pilot. These people did not feel at all comfortable with this so they backed out. They lost their deposit but they just did not feel safe especially since just a week before an Helicopter had crashed with cruise passengers on board and that was also a private excursion. Not trying to scare anyone but you should be. Unless you can verify many factors of who is taking you up in the air and the safety inspections of things like float planes and helicopters then you really should be purchasing from the cruise lines because the cruise line is constantly checking the safety of these tours and their equipment. Ever wondered why often it seems that some of the tours for the upcoming year are not out as early as others.... well it is because the cruise line will not renew the contracts until they have re verified that these operators are in total compliance. I personally would rather pay a few dollars more than to save a buck or two.

Yep, clearly. Just hoping for some personal experience. Anyone who reads these boards knows you can call (any) customer service twice and get three different answers.

My roll call is also a far cry from active at this point, so who knows what will happen there. For things like float planes and helicopters - the groups can only be so big, you know? :)

Our roll call never got going at all last year. The only cruise I've been on where there was no meet & greet. From comments I see on here, that seems to happen a reasonable amount for Alaska cruises for some reason.

I know you said "helicopter", but I'll give you this info anyway as I just checked the vendors website and they have NO weight restrictions or extra fees. They ask for your weight, but then will distribute the passengers in the planes so as not to be overweight. Everyone has a window seat.

We did this tour on our Alaska cruise in Juneau and it was THE highlight of our trip. It is through Wings Airways, and they are the tour provider for NCL and many other cruise lines. Their website will provide a link to the cruise for booking.

The tour is the Taku Lodge Feast and 5 Glacier Discovery Tour, 3 hours. You travel via float plane with 40 minutes of glacier flyover time and a landing on the Taku River at the remote and historic Taku Lodge where you'll relax and walk around the grounds or inside on the comfy couches, while they prepare the feast. There are only about 30 or so people there on the tour. Wood fire Grilled King Salmon or Chicken and lots of sides. I still think longingly about that food. The lodge is across the Taku river from the Taku Glacier, the largest in Juneau, and still moving. I can't tell you how spectacular the scenery was or what a thrill landing on that river was. If you are lucky, the smell of the grilled fish may attract the local bears onto the grounds. It was too early in the season for us.

The price is $297 per person for the 3 hour one. They have a short one, 40 minutes for $210, but not worth it in my book. It is pricey, but if I had to, I'd forego everything else to do it again.

I appreciate this. This is actually on my short list :)

That's actually far more reasonable than I anticipated. Looks like you ended up booking a few weeks later than I. Have a great time!

Look at the Alaska board for good info on which private tours come highly recommended by those who are Alaska experts, and info on what there is to do in each port. For some tours, the trip you book through the ship may be exactly the same tour with the same vendor who also provides the same excursion for those not cruising.

But for some tours, for instance Whale watch ones, if you book through the ship you will be on a large boat with tons of other people. But there are a couple of private small boat tours, probably less than 10 people, which gives you a much superior experience, and are highly reliable and recommended.

Most tour operators in Alaska work frequently with cruise ship passengers. They are well aware of cruise schedules and are very reliable. They are not going to ruin their business by getting you back to the ship late. It is easy to check their reviews here on the Alaska board or over on Trip Advisor.

Honestly, it isn't the tour operators' reputations I'm concerned with. It's the unpredictable nature of Alaska, particularly in early May. Especially in Alaska, I would suspect that the number of tour operators is far less than in, say, the Caribbean, though I could have that wrong. Ultimately, though, there isn't much anyone can do about insane amounts of fog, mudslides on roads, etc. At least if I'm booked through NCL, I can have a bit more peace of mind.

To your point, though - with the whale watching and the like, somehow being on sea seems far less unpredictable than on land, and would probably be the one type of excursion I would consider booking on my own.

Thanks!

I am another that actually recommends people to take the Shore Excursions from the Cruise Line ESPECIALLY in Alaska. Many cruisers become complacent when it comes to Alaska Tours, they figure what can go wrong I am still in the US, it is not like I am in a foreign country. To be truthful I have seen more bad things happen to people on Alaska Excursions than anywhere else. Remember many of these tour operators are not required to carry the amount of liability insurance (if any) that those do for the cruise lines. Also remember something silly like in Alaska most Teens learn to fly a plane before they learn to Drive a car, To receive your FAA Pilots license you can be 17 yrs of age. A few years ago I know of someone that decided to go with all non Cruise Line vendors for excursions some they found on CC and a few others I think they waited till they got to the port. They had pre reserved a float plane for Juneau but They got to Juneau and two young kids, boy and a girl had their sign so they went to them and yes they were on the list. At that point these people figured it was the pilots kids doing the shuttle service to get to the plane. Well to make a long story short. The Dad did own the company but his 17 yr old son and his 15 yr old sister were the guides, Dad was no where around and So the 17 yr old was going to be the pilot. These people did not feel at all comfortable with this so they backed out. They lost their deposit but they just did not feel safe especially since just a week before an Helicopter had crashed with cruise passengers on board and that was also a private excursion. Not trying to scare anyone but you should be. Unless you can verify many factors of who is taking you up in the air and the safety inspections of things like float planes and helicopters then you really should be purchasing from the cruise lines because the cruise line is constantly checking the safety of these tours and their equipment. Ever wondered why often it seems that some of the tours for the upcoming year are not out as early as others.... well it is because the cruise line will not renew the contracts until they have re verified that these operators are in total compliance. I personally would rather pay a few dollars more than to save a buck or two.

I'd certainly agree that you need to be very careful when selecting tours, especially if they involve planes etc.

If they aren't extremely well rated on Tripadvisor, have good comments from reliable sources on here, and have been in business for a long time then I wouldn't go anywhere near them. Even with all those things, do more research to be sure.

For that reason, I don't think that you would be saving money by doing private tours in Alaska. The advantage would be a better experience. None of the tours we did last year were much, if any, cheaper than the NCL tours were.

Yes, these things very rarely happen. For example, the Taku Lodge Flightseeing IS offered by the ship, so if a problem happens, you are covered. The example of the whale watch tours, both the ship and the private excursions go to the same area. You are not really that far from the ship, and none of them schedule so that you are arriving back with moments to spare.

For excursions which are remote, like flightseeing, or glacier hikes, I might lean toward the ship's excursion, but for many in which you go by road, or are not that far from port, I will go with the tour operator which provides the superior experience, but each must make their own decision.

This sums up my feelings quite well, actually.

Helicopters are odd...they are very weight dependant...and even if you are under 250 lbs, they will seat each passenger to have the weight distributed correctly....so even if you pay extra, it's not that you'll get 2 seats "for your comfort"...it's just that they won't be able to put that extra person on the helicopter!

I had no delusions of anything being for my comfort, for sure. I am absolutely aware that any extra fee is making up lost revenue for the tour company, and I am 100% fine with that. They're ultimately in business to make money - it's just a side benefit that they let me have fun too :)

Our roll call never got going at all last year. The only cruise I've been on where there was no meet & greet. From comments I see on here, that seems to happen a reasonable amount for Alaska cruises for some reason.

That's not altogether surprising. I tend to be a vacation loner anyway, so I won't miss not having a meet & greet. I don't even think I went on my last cruise, though that RC was made up of a huge group of people who were traveling together and not a group I was particularly comfortable with.

I have found them helpful for planning purposes, though, and am missing it for that reason. Perhaps I'll poke around some of the other lines!