Travel Insurance

After reading lots of posts on Insurance, still can't work out what to get, booked a cruise up the Qld coast that goes round Willis Is back to Brisbane, now is this Domestic or International ? Also the cruise is a year away do i book it now or wait till closer to final payment. :confused:

After reading lots of posts on Insurance, still can't work out what to get, booked a cruise up the Qld coast that goes round Willis Is back to Brisbane, now is this Domestic or International ? Also the cruise is a year away do i book it now or wait till closer to final payment. :confused:

It is classed as a Domestic cruise as you do not go to any international ports (I know you cruise past Willis Island but cannot get off) only Australian ports. There are several companies that offer cruise insurance for domestic cruises and also some that classify (in the fine print) how to buy insurance under the international heading for domestic purposes. Good luck. :D

When you decide on an insurance company I suggest you email them to get in writing confirmation of the insurance for the itinerary you are doing. The domestic/international and cruise or no cruise can be an issue. Always better to have an email confirming your cover is the correct one.

After reading lots of posts on Insurance, still can't work out what to get, booked a cruise up the Qld coast that goes round Willis Is back to Brisbane, now is this Domestic or International ?

Generally, it's just the cheapest option from the list of types they have. But each insurer does things differently so there's no one way to choose. (e.g. some you type in the places you're going to, some you select the cover, some have different grades, and so on).

Also the cruise is a year away do i book it now or wait till closer to final payment. :confused:

You can buy any time you choose, but you maximise the value the earlier you book. If you're going to buy and have selected, there's no benefit to wait imo.

Some have argued that they only buy at final payment as they can get refunds for everything else up til then, if they need to cancel, and have then saved the insurance cost if they wind up cancelling before then. If you've arranged things that way, that would be true, but if you have any non-refundable elements, or things get mixed up, you could lose more. As the cost of insurance is usually a small proportion of the trip, it's usually simpler to buy earlier so you are covered from that point on.

Mum insures with ACE for Seniors and it was explained that despite being a domestic cruise, it is on an internationally registered vessel, hence international cover.

Each company is different, so do the checks and make sure you are covered for what you want to be covered for.:D

That is good that covermore covers domestic cruises in that way and as long as people fill out the forms/websites correctly then they will be covered. They will still need to read the fine print and make sure that they are covered, especially if using other insurers, because as I said previously, some do not cover domestic cruises at all.

thanks for clearing it all up for me,have looked at the website and done a dummy run. Will ring them and talk in person, seems like this is the one

If you are still looking, we used Insure and Go for our last three holidays as it was the only one I could find to cover my husband for his heart problems (extra cost) and they also covered me at no extra cost for arthritis and knee replacement. I had a claim for a lost camera on our first trip and they were great. Sent them all the relevant claim forms and had the money in our account very quickly. Wouldn't use anyone else now.

If you are still looking, we used Insure and Go for our last three holidays as it was the only one I could find to cover my husband for his heart problems (extra cost) and they also covered me at no extra cost for arthritis and knee replacement. I had a claim for a lost camera on our first trip and they were great. Sent them all the relevant claim forms and had the money in our account very quickly. Wouldn't use anyone else now.

Good to hear about the claims, I have used them a few times now (domestic cruises) but haven't needed to make a claim.:D

National Seniors Travel Insurance and RACQ/NRMA Insurance etc will also cover most pre existing conditions and travellers over 70. When I investigated domestic/international cruise insurance I was told by an insurance company that because the doctors onboard are not registered in Australia/medicare you are not covered domestically and need international travel insurance. Once onboard and at sea you are supposedly 'not domestic'. Domestic travel normally only covers cancellations and problems that occur on land - ie missing baggage or injuries/sickness on land.

National Seniors Travel Insurance and RACQ/NRMA Insurance etc will also cover most pre existing conditions and travellers over 70. When I investigated domestic/international cruise insurance I was told by an insurance company that because the doctors onboard are not registered in Australia/medicare you are not covered domestically and need international travel insurance. Once onboard and at sea you are supposedly 'not domestic'. Domestic travel normally only covers cancellations and problems that occur on land - ie missing baggage or injuries/sickness on land.

Read the policy before purchasing.

some companies require International insurance, some require Domestic Cruise Insurance but no domestic insurance covers medical as the ships are generally not classed as Australian.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Read the policy before purchasing.

some companies require International insurance, some require Domestic Cruise Insurance but no domestic insurance covers medical as the ships are generally not classed as Australian.:D

Domestic insurance doesn't cover you for leaving Australia. All the cruises here go outside Australian territory so you need to look for at least the lowest grade international coverage, whatever it is called.

Domestic insurance doesn't cover you for leaving Australia. All the cruises here go outside Australian territory so you need to look for at least the lowest grade international coverage, whatever it is called.

Exactly, that is why you need the specific Domestic cruise insurance.:D

Except you don't. International travel insurance normally covers it. :D

Only if it is visiting an international port, it really depends on the insurance company as they differ and people really need to read the policy and make sure they are covered for what they want.:D