Travel Insurance

Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced travel insurance company. My mother is travelling to the UK and Europe later in the year and I have to find suitable insurance. She will have flights and luggage but no trips our tours as she is staying with my sister in the UK. They may take some little trips into Europe or around the UK. She is in her late 70s. A company called Insure and Go seem very reasonably priced but not sure how reputable they are or how easy to deal with if you have to make a claim.

Any help appreciated. Thank you

Sharon

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Generally its best to check who the underwriter is as there are only a few in Australia.

I have been using Covermore for all my trips since 1997. Have made two small claims over the years and everything was paid back to me promptly and no issues.

Just be careful if there are any pre-existing conditions.

I have used Covermore but they will not cover you for America if you have certain pre-existing conditions (I know you haven't mentioned the USA - just thought I would mention it).

I have now given Covermore away completely and now use InsureandGo. I must say though that I have never made a claim so am not aware of how well they respond to claims, but the price seems OK. Unfortunately you never really know how good a company is until you have a need to make a claim.:)

I have used several travel insurers recently due to domestic cruises. Insure and Go seem to cover what I want for the best price. I have overseas travel insurance through the ANZ break-free package and have had several claims which were all paid promptly.:D

Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced travel insurance company. My mother is travelling to the UK and Europe later in the year and I have to find suitable insurance. She will have flights and luggage but no trips our tours as she is staying with my sister in the UK. They may take some little trips into Europe or around the UK. She is in her late 70s. A company called Insure and Go seem very reasonably priced but not sure how reputable they are or how easy to deal with if you have to make a claim.

Any help appreciated. Thank you

Sharon

Hi Sharon for our USA trip earlier this year we used Insure and Go mainly because they were the only company that would cover previous major heart surgeries, it cost us $550 extra on top of the policy for the four weeks but was worth it for peace of mind....didn't need to claim from them thankgoodness;) so can't answer how good they are when it comes to claiming...... our trip home to the UK this Christmas we bought through webjet, don't need all the bells and buzzers for this one....goodluck

Edited by badgerbill

We too use Covermore. I have Meniere's Disease and have had to cancel because of an episode and had no trouble. I do pay more for my premium than DH who has nothing wrong with him (nothing medical anyways! LOL). Check to make sure that you are fully covered for anything pre existing and all should be well.

Check to make sure that you are fully covered for anything pre existing and all should be well.

Read the fine print to make sure you are covered for what you need cover for. So many people buy insurance thinking that they will be covered when in reality they were not.:D

As we tend to take two cruises a year :D it works out better for us to take an annual travel insurance policy. At the moment we're using CoverMore and their annual policy covers us for domestic travel as well as long as we're at least 200km from home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As we tend to take two cruises a year :D it works out better for us to take an annual travel insurance policy. At the moment we're using CoverMore and their annual policy covers us for domestic travel as well as long as we're at least 200km from home.

Does that cover the medical on Domestic cruises (no international ports but international waters) as well?

Does that cover the medical on Domestic cruises (no international ports but international waters) as well?

Yes.

BTW CoverMore allows you to customise your cover to a certain extent. I've always found their website easy to use and you can play around with different options to see how it affects your premium. We've never had to make a claim so I can't comment about that.

Any insurance is like placing a bet and hoping you lose! ;)

Edited by Sparky74

Yes.

BTW CoverMore allows you to customise your cover to a certain extent. I've always found their website easy to use and you can play around with different options to see how it affects your premium. We've never had to make a claim so I can't comment about that.

Lots of insurers will not touch domestic cruise medical, so that is good to hear.

It sure seems to be like it is better to lose your premium than to have issues where you needed to claim.:D

Ok... After investigating many options suggested on here and elsewhere I chose Virgin Money travel insurance which is underwritten by Allianz. It is amazing once you get to a certain age how much the price increases just in case even with no pre existings. My mother is 78 and very healthy. Luckily we use the free travel insurance that comes with our NAB credit card and have not had any issues when we had to make a claim. Thanks again for all the advice and input. Now to work out the best travel card for her....

Ok... After investigating many options suggested on here and elsewhere I chose Virgin Money travel insurance which is underwritten by Allianz. It is amazing once you get to a certain age how much the price increases just in case even with no pre existings. My mother is 78 and very healthy. Luckily we use the free travel insurance that comes with our NAB credit card and have not had any issues when we had to make a claim. Thanks again for all the advice and input. Now to work out the best travel card for her....

Good work sorting it all out, have a great trip and enjoy.:D

Yes.

Lots of insurers will not touch domestic cruise medical, so that is good to hear.

It sure seems to be like it is better to lose your premium than to have issues where you needed to claim.:D

Was just looking at the Covermore site and can not get Domestic cruise insurance (Medical) through their website.:confused:

Policy Benefi ts

Overseas Medical

And Dental

International Plan I -$Unlimited - Single Trip or Annual Multi-Trip

Domestic Plan D - $Nil - Single Trip or Annual Multi-Trip

Domestic Plan DA - $Nil Single Trip

Summary Of The Benefits

Cover for overseas hospital, medical, surgical, nursing, ambulance

and emergency dental expenses. Medical cover will not exceed

12 months from onset.

If you are getting International insurance,for Australia, you are still not covered.

Edited by MicCanberra

Was just looking at the Covermore site and can not get Domestic cruise insurance (Medical) through their website.:confused:

Policy Benefi ts

Overseas Medical

And Dental

International Plan I -$Unlimited - Single Trip or Annual Multi-Trip

Domestic Plan D - $Nil - Single Trip or Annual Multi-Trip

Domestic Plan DA - $Nil Single Trip

Summary Of The Benefits

Cover for overseas hospital, medical, surgical, nursing, ambulance

and emergency dental expenses. Medical cover will not exceed

12 months from onset.

If you are getting International insurance,for Australia, you are still not covered.

Shouldn't you be looking at international cover - you sail international waters, even though you're not visiting an international destination.

Depends how it's worded.

Shouldn't you be looking at international cover - you sail international waters, even though you're not visiting an international destination.

Depends how it's worded.

Reading the fine print and I have had this verified by several insurance companies in email and phone conversations, domestic cruises are not covered specifically unless you have specific Domestic cruise insurance.

It is classed as a domestic cruise if it doesn't visit an international port, (i.e. only aussie ports or cruise to nowhere), therefore you cannot use international insurance. Domestic insurance doesn't cover medical, due to medicare, so either way you are not covered to use the medical on the ship. Only a few companies offer the insurance for Domestic cruising.

Point is to read the fine print, I fear that some people may think they are covered when in fact they are not.

Reading the fine print and I have had this verified by several insurance companies in email and phone conversations, domestic cruises are not covered specifically unless you have specific Domestic cruise insurance.

It is classed as a domestic cruise if it doesn't visit an international port, (i.e. only aussie ports or cruise to nowhere), therefore you cannot use international insurance. Domestic insurance doesn't cover medical, due to medicare, so either way you are not covered to use the medical on the ship. Only a few companies offer the insurance for Domestic cruising.

Point is to read the fine print, I fear that some people may think they are covered when in fact they are not.

Good finding!

I think the average cruiser wouldn't even understand the difference of international waters v domestic cruising either. I imagine the short tasters from Bris or Sydney would be mistaken as domestic and therefore covered by Medicare!

Like I wrote, and according to covermore themselves, they say an international policy covers those cruises, which stands to reason as you are sailing internationally, even if not visiting a foreign port.

"•If you are cruising along the coast of Australia and want cover for medical expenses on-board your cruise, then you will need to select the Area ‘Indonesia, NZ and SW Pacific’ so that you have Overseas Medical and Dental and $Unlimited Additional Expenses benefits "

http://www.covermore.com.au/blogs/featured-articles/Cruising-and-Travel-Insurance/blog.aspx#.U9eHBqQcTmE

I checked and this validity is confirmed in their policy coverage:

We Will Not Pay For:

1. medical treatment, dental treatment or ambulance transportation

which is provided in Australia. This exclusion does not apply to

medical treatment provided whilst on a ship (including cruise

ship, passenger ship or passenger ferry) even if that ship is within

Australian territorial waters. However, this additional benefit does

not apply to any medical treatment provided on Australian inland

waterways or whilst the ship is tied up in an Australian port.

Given covermore encourage people to buy it for that purpose, and specifically include that coverage, the find print with them _does_ confirm that you would be covered.

Like I wrote, and according to covermore themselves, they say an international policy covers those cruises, which stands to reason as you are sailing internationally, even if not visiting a foreign port.

"•If you are cruising along the coast of Australia and want cover for medical expenses on-board your cruise, then you will need to select the Area ‘Indonesia, NZ and SW Pacific’ so that you have Overseas Medical and Dental and $Unlimited Additional Expenses benefits "

http://www.covermore.com.au/blogs/featured-articles/Cruising-and-Travel-Insurance/blog.aspx#.U9eHBqQcTmE

I checked and this validity is confirmed in their policy coverage:

We Will Not Pay For:

1. medical treatment, dental treatment or ambulance transportation

which is provided in Australia. This exclusion does not apply to

medical treatment provided whilst on a ship (including cruise

ship, passenger ship or passenger ferry) even if that ship is within

Australian territorial waters. However, this additional benefit does

not apply to any medical treatment provided on Australian inland

waterways or whilst the ship is tied up in an Australian port.

Given covermore encourage people to buy it for that purpose, and specifically include that coverage, the find print with them _does_ confirm that you would be covered.

That is good that covermore covers domestic cruises in that way and as long as people fill out the forms/websites correctly then they will be covered. They will still need to read the fine print and make sure that they are covered, especially if using other insurers, because as I said previously, some do not cover domestic cruises at all.

That is good that covermore covers domestic cruises in that way and as long as people fill out the forms/websites correctly then they will be covered. They will still need to read the fine print and make sure that they are covered, especially if using other insurers, because as I said previously, some do not cover domestic cruises at all.

Yes, as said, many don't explicitly cover "domestic cruises" as a destination. However, it's often the case, as above, that the shortest range international option is the appropriate choice.

As suggested, read the fine print.