Travel Insurance

Only if it is visiting an international port, it really depends on the insurance company as they differ and people really need to read the policy and make sure they are covered for what they want.:D

No, we've been through this before.

You don't need to go to an international port just to be covered by a regular international policy.

Read the wording but typically any international policy will cover you. Usually, you would choose the base level policy e.g. South Pacific. :D

no domestic insurance covers medical as the ships are generally not classed as Australian.:D

This is why you need base international insurance.

Eg, suppose you are in the OPT checking in, you collapse, you will be covered by Medicare, however if you slip and bang your head as you step onto the ship and the ship's doctor is called to attend, you will be up for the charge even though the ship is still tied to the wharf, as the ship Dr won't have a medicare provider number.

Edited by yatchet

I wonder if any reviews have been done on the 'free credit card insurance.' i.e we have the ANZ Platinum Card, insurance provided by QBE/Zurich.

Hi Les,

we have the same card and overseas travel insurance and they do not cover domestic cruises (those that do not visit an international port, BTW Willis island does not count).

I wonder if any reviews have been done on the 'free credit card insurance.' i.e we have the ANZ Platinum Card, insurance provided by QBE/Zurich.

It's another case of needing to read the policy specifics.

That card does cover you for medical expenses on cruises to other countries though e.g. New Zealand, South Pacific and so on.

It doesn't cover you for cruises that only visit Australia; however, some of the other premium card insurers do.

Hi Les,

we have the same card and overseas travel insurance and they do not cover domestic cruises (those that do not visit an international port, BTW Willis island does not count).

Thanks Mic and others, we do not do domestic cruises these days been there done that. All the big overseas stuff now. We actually travelled on our overseas travels earlier this year on our ANZ insurance, no claims thank God. So just paid 2 deposits on Aurora and Oriana next year, plus some UK/Ireland car touring in between, so will use the ANZ Platinum Insurance again. I have their policy book, even covers car rental excess, plus unlimited cancellation and medical costs, do us.

a bit of current information...Just paid (today) for a cruise using MasterCard platinum which provides free travel insurance. They gave me the phone number for Zurich Insurance who I rang, thinking I had to give details of my cruise which is round Australia + one day in Bali. I was directed to Citibank card holders where the consultant said they did not require any information and did not need to know where we were going. We only need to make contact with them if we have a claim. Have read everything I can find and have not found anything to suggest domestic cruises are not included (as previous posts have mentioned) however because of the Bali visit this cruise would be considered "international". Documentation says pre-existing medical conditions will be covered for $75 administration fee.

Edited by happysnapper
typo

Thanks Mic and others, we do not do domestic cruises these days been there done that. All the big overseas stuff now. We actually travelled on our overseas travels earlier this year on our ANZ insurance, no claims thank God. So just paid 2 deposits on Aurora and Oriana next year, plus some UK/Ireland car touring in between, so will use the ANZ Platinum Insurance again. I have their policy book, even covers car rental excess, plus unlimited cancellation and medical costs, do us.

Yes, we have used it for all our overseas travel (cruises/tours etc) and have claimed several times now over the years. They have been very prompt and efficient with processing the claims and I am sure there will be no hassle with any claim as long as the relevant paperwork/receipts are supplied with the claim.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

a bit of current information...Just paid (today) for a cruise using MasterCard platinum which provides free travel insurance. They gave me the phone number for Zurich Insurance who I rang, thinking I had to give details of my cruise which is round Australia + one day in Bali. I was directed to Citibank card holders where the consultant said they did not require any information and did not need to know where we were going. We only need to make contact with them if we have a claim. Have read everything I can find and have not found anything to suggest domestic cruises are not included (as previous posts have mentioned) however because of the Bali visit this cruise would be considered "international". Documentation says pre-existing medical conditions will be covered for $75 administration fee.

Good to know, I suppose if you wanted confirmation the policy may spell it out like with the ANZ card insurance.:D