Sanctuary

atdahop

Value is in the eye of the beholder. I was on the first cruise on the Emerald Princess when the cruise duration price went from $150 pp for a 10-day cruise to $240 pp for the same time period. Even with the price increase I felt it was a good value because I had the same lounger every day (No searching for a place) that I could come and go as I pleased. No children. The loungers are much more comfortable than the standard deck chair, and you get better service. On our cruise we ended up with 4 sea days (Princess Cay was cancelled due to high winds), and the 5 port days we still used it half a day.

Keep in mind it's very popular on warm weather cruises and the cruise duration passes sell out quickly. To get a daily spot for either a full or half day you will need to go up to the Sanctuary very early in the morning of the day you want and get in line to try to secure a spot. On a sea day the line may start as early as 6 am.

The half-day times are usually 8:00-12:30pm and 1:00-5:00pm. The stewards leave at 5:00pm but you can stay longer. Afternoon tea is served at about 3:30pm with tea, coffee, little sandwiches, cookies, pastries and crumpets with clotted cream.

I will vote with those posters who don't feel the Sanctuary is worth the charge. We booked the full week last fall on Star. At most, we used the Sanctuary a couple of hours a day. The weather was very nice so that was not a problem. There was nothing wrong with the Sanctuary experience but just not money well spent, imho. The Spa Pool adjacent to the Sanctuary is open to all adults anyway. There were always lots of open deck chairs available in other areas of the ship. And this was before the recent price increases. But then, we had a really nice balcony in an aft Suite to use as well. "Worth it" is a personal choice.

if you booked for the full 10 days now, the price would be $300.

You are partially correct. I'm not sure where I came up with $240. I think I have our upcoming Caribbean Getaway in my head. Based on my calculations the price for me & DH for the 5-days will be $240. That's together, 4 days x $30= $120 x 2 PAX = $240 (And of course that's assuming we are able to get cruise duration passes).

Our price was $270 pp for the 10-day Caribbean because you could not use it on the day we embarked, so the charge was for 9 days. $30 x 9= $270. I don't know if since this past March they started charging for embarkation day or not. Guess I will find out in 4-weeks.

No, they don't charge for embarkation day so for the full cruise, if it's a 7-day cruise you'd pay for six days, a 10-day cruise for nine days, etc.

If you plan to book for the whole cruise, run up to the Sanctuary right after boarding to book. There's a limit on the number of loungers booked for the full cruise vs. by the day or half-day.

For me, I think the Sanctuary is well worth it and now I'm booking oceanview cabins rather than balconies and then booking the Sanctuary. If it's a warm weather cruise, that's where you'll find me. :)

The half-day times are usually 8:00-12:30pm and 1:00-5:00pm. The stewards leave at 5:00pm but you can stay longer. Afternoon tea is served at about 3:30pm with tea, coffee, little sandwiches, cookies, pastries and crumpets with clotted cream.

Do the beverages and pastries come with the Sanctuary pass, or is there an additional charge?

No, they don't charge for embarkation day so for the full cruise, if it's a 7-day cruise you'd pay for six days, a 10-day cruise for nine days, etc.

If you plan to book for the whole cruise, run up to the Sanctuary right after boarding to book. There's a limit on the number of loungers booked for the full cruise vs. by the day or half-day.

For me, I think the Sanctuary is well worth it and now I'm booking oceanview cabins rather than balconies and then booking the Sanctuary. If it's a warm weather cruise, that's where you'll find me. :)

Pam, I see you are doing the BVE on our upcoming cruise. Do you know someone going on this sailing?

Do the beverages and pastries come with the Sanctuary pass, or is there an additional charge?
Afternoon tea with tea and/or coffee as well as any of the goodies is no charge either in the Sanctuary or in the dining room where anyone can go for afternoon tea.

In the Sanctuary, sodas and alcoholic drinks are charged as per normal. For a $3 service charge, the attendants will bring and serve you pizza or anything from the grill along with condiments, or a choice of items from the Sanctuary menu.

Usually, I prefer to get up and move around for lunch but I've also been known to order a slice of pizza and a hot dog for lunch. :)

Pam, I see you are doing the BVE on our upcoming cruise. Do you know someone going on this sailing?
Yes, I have friends on this sailing but you don't have to know anyone to book a BVE. My friends are traveling with a family group so while it'll be nice to see them, I probably won't be spending much time with them. Edited by Pam in CA