Just Booked, North to Alaska

debnjoe1438

:D While looking on NCL.com a few days ago I saw $200.00 OBC for cruise tours, any category. So DH and I are now booked on North Bound Alyeska/Denali cruise tour.

Now the planning begins. This will be the first cruise where we have to book flights and pre cruise hotel. Anyone know what's close to the port in Vancouver?

I was just calling for information and got dooped like you...:p!! We are doing a NB as well, just a month before you on the same ship! So whatever info you get, I will be stealing because I've never had to fly to cruise!! LOL.

:D While looking on NCL.com a few days ago I saw $200.00 OBC for cruise tours, any category. So DH and I are now booked on North Bound Alyeska/Denali cruise tour.

Now the planning begins. This will be the first cruise where we have to book flights and pre cruise hotel. Anyone know what's close to the port in Vancouver?

Choices to fly into either Vancouver or Seattle. Vancouver airport is approximately 20 minutes from the airport by Skytrain (subway) or taxi. Seattle airport is a couple hours by bus or Amtrak. Lots of hotels in downtown Vancouver.

you can also get more info on the Alaska and Pacific Ports boards here on CC. Some people have found that flights to Seattle are way cheaper and there are several transportation options between Seattle and Vancouver - including train, and bus.

Since you are on a cruise tour you won't have to worry about getting from Seward to Anchorage and beyond. In Denali you might want to get your money back on the Tundra Wilderness Tour and apply it to a shuttle that goes deeper into the park. You have some time so do you homework.

I am currently on an Authentic Alaska cruisetour, but southbound. Great itinerary, started in Fairbanks, then two days in Denali. Today was Ididerod puppies followed by train trip to Talkeetna. Now in Anchorage (had fantastic dinner at Glacier Brewing Company), tomorrow is on to Homer (advised it is the Key West of Alaska). Next day we board the ship, and hopefully get rested up! Great experience...

you can also get more info on the Alaska and Pacific Ports boards here on CC. Some people have found that flights to Seattle are way cheaper and there are several transportation options between Seattle and Vancouver - including train, and bus.

Since you are on a cruise tour you won't have to worry about getting from Seward to Anchorage and beyond. In Denali you might want to get your money back on the Tundra Wilderness Tour and apply it to a shuttle that goes deeper into the park. You have some time so do you homework.

Yesterday was the Tundra Wilderness Tour, we departed the hotel at 2:15 and saw lots of carribou and dal sheep, 3 grizzly bears, 2 moose and a golden eagle. We got back about 8. Very nice!

When we did our pre-cruise stay for Vancouver a couple of years ago we stayed at the Metropolitan. I still remember it being a very nice and airy room, and the bonus point is that you don't need to get a cab to the cruise port as it's downhill the entire way!! So perfect for wheely bags.

I am currently on an Authentic Alaska cruisetour' date=' but southbound. Great itinerary, started in Fairbanks, then two days in Denali. Today was Ididerod puppies followed by train trip to Talkeetna. Now in Anchorage (had fantastic dinner at Glacier Brewing Company), tomorrow is on to Homer (advised it is the Key West of Alaska). Next day we board the ship, and hopefully get rested up! Great experience...[/quote']

We're on the same cruisetour northbound in three weeks and will be interested to hear any more thoughts you care to post. One of the reasons we went with NCL - aside from Freestyle - is that this year they're the only line that has a cruisetour that goes to Homer. Also coincidentally, I've been to Anchorage twice before on business, and became a frequent patron of Glacier Brewhouse. Will be taking the family there on our trip.

Edited by grobma

I am currently on an Authentic Alaska cruisetour' date=' but southbound. Great itinerary, started in Fairbanks, then two days in Denali. Today was Ididerod puppies followed by train trip to Talkeetna. Now in Anchorage (had fantastic dinner at Glacier Brewing Company), tomorrow is on to Homer (advised it is the Key West of Alaska). Next day we board the ship, and hopefully get rested up! Great experience...[/quote']

Please let us know all about it when you get back :D

The Pan pacific is very close to the cruise port. And seems to have good reviews. It is pricey though

Yea, I looked up the Pan Pacific last night. I agree, a little pricey. Do you by chance know the names of any other hotels by the port?

Do you know if the YMCA hotel is close to the port? (Saw this name on the West coast port blogs) It's not as pricey. :)

You could try Blue Horizon Hotel. I had reservations here, but had to cancel the trip. It's not as close to the pier as the Pan Pacific, but it was a lot more affordable.

Thanks to you and Floridanamaw, I will check it out. :)

Yesterday was the Tundra Wilderness Tour' date=' we departed the hotel at 2:15 and saw lots of carribou and dal sheep, 3 grizzly bears, 2 moose and a golden eagle. We got back about 8. Very nice![/quote']

I am glad that you enjoyed your TWT - I never said it was bad - just that there are more than one tour into the park and that the TWT is the one that goes the least distance into the park.

I encourage the OP to visit www.alaskatravel.com and check out their section on Denali - they spell out the differences in the tours.

I am glad that you enjoyed your TWT - I never said it was bad - just that there are more than one tour into the park and that the TWT is the one that goes the least distance into the park.

I encourage the OP to visit www.alaskatravel.com and check out their section on Denali - they spell out the differences in the tours.

Thank you, I will. I believe I have this website in my favorites, however at this point I have not looked at it too much.

Just a small correction - the YMCA does not have a hotel anymore - I know I worked for them for 40+years and the new building doesn't have any accomodations - the poster I believe is referring to the YWCA - you could walk there - it's about a mile and either level or downhill but a taxi would only be about $10-$12.00 dollars.

Downtown Vancouver is very compact - most hotels are within a mile of Canada Place cruise terminal and Stanley Park, Granville Island and many of the other popular attractions are only a short distance further.

Do as someone else suggested and come over to either the West Coast or Canada boards - there you will find a number of us locals answering questions about my home and native city - Vancouver.

Cheers!

Dennis

The tour that goes the least distance into the Park is the Natural History Tour, and that one is definitely pretty worthless.