St Thomas Hotels

foxland

We are joining the Legend in March 2015 in St Thomas USVI, before she crosses the Atlantic one last time .. her penultimate cruise ..

We like to acclimatise before we board, accordingly will be flying in a couple of days early ..

At this point I started reviewing hotels in St Thomas .. and it's mind boggling how bad some of the reviews are .. even for 'good' hotels ..

So, fellow Seabournites, do you have any personal experiences and/or recommendations for St Thomas, Charlotte Amalie ..

Thanks in advance ..

Allan

We are joining the Legend in March 2015 in St Thomas USVI, before she crosses the Atlantic one last time .. her penultimate cruise ..

We like to acclimatise before we board, accordingly will be flying in a couple of days early ..

At this point I started reviewing hotels in St Thomas .. and it's mind boggling how bad some of the reviews are .. even for 'good' hotels ..

So, fellow Seabournites, do you have any personal experiences and/or recommendations for St Thomas, Charlotte Amalie ..

Thanks in advance ..

Allan

As you say Allan,it's a tough one

I hear that the third cubicle in the gents at the airport is the best option.

What's your gut feeling from what you have read so far?

We stayed at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef about 7 or 8 years ago before a Legend cruise and enjoyed it. Our room was in the Morning Star Beach section just steps from the water. However, I just took a quick look at Trip Advisor and see that this property has mixed reviews. Perhaps someone who has visited more recently will weigh in. Enjoy your cruise!

St. Thomas has a reputation for poor service and it shows in the hotel reviews. In Charlotte Amalie, the Marriott is the best full-service bet but it is not perfect. Slightly better, but not full service, is Mafolie. Avoid the two Best Western properties and the Windward Passage - extremely dire with unprofessional service. They were fine in the early 90's but haven't kept up with the times. The Ritz-Carlton is not in Charlotte Amalie (far from anything) and has an unjustifiable, exorbitant premium - and expect to pay a fortune in taxi fares to go eat anywhere else. You could rent a car but it is bizarre to drive on the left with an American car (steering column also on the left instead of on the right as in Britain). The beaches at Bolongo and Sugar Bay are not chamber of commerce quality and full of sand fleas.

Sorry to be so negative, but the only "plus" IMO for cruises departing from St. Thomas is the relative ease of flight arrangements from the US mainland.

Before Pride's last crossing in March friends and I stayed at Mafolie. The hotel is in the hills with wonderful sea views and both the pool bar and dining room are quite good. It is a small hotel with personalized service. I would return in a heartbeat!

Edited by Winner

Since you have a couple of days before the cruise I definitely recommend considering St. John instead. We, in fact, just got back recently: it is much nicer IMO than STT. Plus both Caneel Bay and the Westin have private ferry transfers to/from the airport where they take your luggage at the airport and the next time you see it is in your room.

A few years ago we stayed at a B&B in St Thomas, having read the reviews on tripadvisor we too were worried then we found At Home in the Tropics and decided to chance it as we don't usually do B&B's, we spent 3 nights there before our cruise and it was simply wonderful!!!! Excellent location, stunning breakfast, extremely clean and wonderful hosts, you will not go far wrong if you book it! If we go back to St Thomas we will be staying there again without a doubt!