Cruise identification documents

I was just reading the NCL FAQ and came across this:

For open-jaw sailings (cruises that depart from one U.S. port and return to a different U.S. port),

you are required to carry:

• A valid passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • U.S. or Canadian Enhanced Drivers License

Do you need all 3 documents?

What is a "passport card" and how do you get one?

For open-jaw sailings (cruises that depart from one U.S. port and return to a different U.S. port),

• A valid passport
  • U.S. passport card

No, you only need one of the three (we use EDL's). You obtain a passport card the same way that you obtain a passport. You can find the details on the State Department website. If you have a passport that's all that you need, the passport card is designed for people that cross the land border frequently and for cruising, it can't be used for international air travel.

You can download a passport application on line, fill it out, get the appropriate photos and once completed, take it to your local post office along with a check for the fee. You can either buy the travel passport with multiple pages, or you can now buy basically a plastic photo ID from the State Department which confirms you are who you say you are. ;)

• A valid passport
  • U.S. passport card

first you make an appointment at a local post office that you live near by, than they will give you time and date, you will need drivers license, a " long form " birth certificate, and the will take you picture there .. for a price ... or you can take it a Walgreens. Then you can get a passport, or passport card, or both at that time,

on cruises that leave and return the same port, a passport is not needed, we only got a passport card at this time, when we cruise, all you need is drivers license and passport card, if we need to fly from one of destinations , i guess we will in trouble though ...

all you need is drivers license and passport card, if we need to fly from one of destinations , i guess we will in trouble though ...

Nope, all you need is the passport card (unless you want to use your drivers license as ID when coming back to the ship from a port of call).

• A valid passport
  • U.S. passport card

Poor job by NCL by not saying you only need one. Maybe they thought it was obvious?

Anyways, they also add the following which many here would agree with.

Note: If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air. To that end, Norwegian strongly recommends all guests to obtain a passport for their voyage on any Norwegian vessel.

Edited by garycarla

[...] You obtain a passport card the same way that you obtain a passport. You can find the details on the State Department website. If you have a passport that's all that you need, the passport card is designed for people that cross the land border frequently and for cruising, it can't be used for international air travel.

Never heard of it before. Thanks.

Quite frankly a passport card really isn't worth the price unless you cruise frequently or drive up from Mexico often. A passport book will get you across any border from any place via air, rail, and vehicle.

I feel the same about the passport book- it's not worth the price unless you are planning on traveling by international air:).

I feel the same about the passport book- it's not worth the price unless you are planning on traveling by international air:).

The keyword here is *planning*. What happens if you need to fly home from a port and you haven't planned it? I look at the cost the same as any other insurance I purchase. It's also why my family always has their passports in port (along with a few credit cards), jus t in case. A photocopy won't get you home.

I also fly internationally multiple times per year, but I had a passport before that happened.

The keyword here is *planning*. What happens if you need to fly home from a port and you haven't planned it? I look at the cost the same as any other insurance I purchase. It's also why my family always has their passports in port (along with a few credit cards), jus t in case. A photocopy won't get you home.

I also fly internationally multiple times per year, but I had a passport before that happened.

Yes, in this case it is very much like deciding to get insurance- one must look at the reasons one could have to fly back from a cruise, analyze what can be done to eliminate or mitigate the risk of those reasons occurring, and determine what the likelihood is of one of those reasons occurring. For most people the risk is low.

My son has both a passport and passport card. We applied for the passport card at the time of his most recent passport renewal -- he does not drive, so his passport card serves as his general ID.

I am certain we are in the minority. There isn't really a need for both unless your passport is your only form of government-issued photo ID and you want a back-up.

My son has both a passport and passport card. We applied for the passport card at the time of his most recent passport renewal -- he does not drive, so his passport card serves as his general ID.

I never thought about using the passport card as general id for a child. We even bring my daughter's passport when traveling domestically because she's big for her age (nearly 5'6" at 11 years old!) and looks older.

I think we're getting both the book and card with her renewal next month. Thanks for idea!!