Just Returned, Oasis. Frequent questions on Cruise Critic.

Are passengers allowed to get a drink and walk with it? Say we pick up a drink at 5:00, and go to our stateroom to ready for the evening. Then we would stop back by a bar before entertainment. I don't think that I can drink more than two drinks in that 3.5 hour time frame. :rolleyes: Could I order a wine and take to late dinner seating with me?

Yes, you can take a drink anywhere you wish.

Are passengers allowed to get a drink and walk with it? Say we pick up a drink at 5:00, and go to our stateroom to ready for the evening. Then we would stop back by a bar before entertainment. I don't think that I can drink more than two drinks in that 3.5 hour time frame. :rolleyes: Could I order a wine and take to late dinner seating with me?

Hi, who notified you and did the notification give the restrictions?

We got an email from RCCL. Vouchers are good at most bars, but not MDR or WJ. They are good for the cocktail hours of the Diamond/Concierge Club. They expire each day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is there a granola bar in the dining room for breakfast?

Did you ever eat at Johnny Rocket's for breakfast? How was that food?

Anything you would say is a "Can't miss," show, venue, or event?

Violet, Johnny Rocket's has very good breakfasts, and at no charge. Surprisingly decent coffee as well.

Why are you even on this thread then? This is about Oasis of The Seas, a ship that, from the sounds of it, you have no desire to experience. That's fine, I have no desire to do a river cruise. But you know what I don't do? I don't frequent threads about river cruising and then trash them. To me, doing that would be self-serving, shallow and pathetic. But look at the bright side, you wear those attributes well!:rolleyes:

Very well stated! Your response to those posts captures exactly what I was thinking as well.

Just returned yesterday from Oasis. Thought I would answer some frequent questions posed on Cruise Critic - these are just personal observations.

Boarded easily around 11:30 a.m. I am Diamond Plus. My baggage delivered around 1:30 p.m. Not sure if because DP, never had so early. Family across hall got their baggage around 3:00 p.m. We all boarded together. Might have been coincidental.

Three drinks loaded on Sea Pass Card - very convenient - but with restrictions. Used in Dazzles and Schooner Bar very easily. Champagne Bar and bar outside of Main Dining Room, Level 3, said they could not be used there. Indicated they were considered "dining room." Think this needs to be clarified - I thought you could not use when seated in MDR, not outside the door. Small point but some may find helpful.

Room service delivery was poor - tried to use - always 45 minutes to 1 hour wait time. This was particularly annoying when just ordering cartons of milk to go with cookies that we had already picked up in the Windjammer. Always same answer regardless of time of day or day of the week.

For the most part felt that people adhered to the "suggested dress" for the evening. Saw some shorts in dining room, but rarely. We were on deck 3. A lot of family groups on board - obviously dressed for a formal night out and pictures. Large percentage of passengers were Asian, Brazilian, Hispanic and dressed very nicely and according to suggested dress each evening. Had second seating.

A lot of families and children on board, but did not feel over-run with kids.

Solarium waiter bar service was excellent, and met many people with drink packages who were highly satisfied with service throughout the ship.

Mainly had dinner in main dining room - food was very good - personally thought better than Allure. Had dinner at Giovanni's one night - excellent.

Park Cafe/Windjammer/Johnny Rockets/Wipe Out Cafe all were busy at peak times, but doable. Windjammer they were seating people when it was busy - meant line moved very quickly.

Hope this will help someone!

thank you.:):)

I don't choose ships that are floating malls because I have a mall at home. I don't choose ships with an inside park because I have one down the street. I don't choose ships that are turned into giant lawns because I have a yard. I don't bring my binoculars to stare at people because I like interacting with with them and focus on the SEA!!! What's next inside cars and traffic jams for a giant asphalt themed ship? Classic cruisers must be rolling in their graves as to what this is all turning into. :eek:

Do you have restaurants at home or bathrooms or beds ? Hard to find a ship without those features.

We got an email from RCCL. Vouchers are good at most bars, but not MDR or WJ. They are good for the cocktail hours of the Diamond/Concierge Club. They expire each day.

Thank you to all that answered. :) I knew that we could not leave the lounge with a drink, but am pleased to see that we can grab a drink and go with the vouchers.

Not that we would be drinking enough to do this, but do I understand that if we have vouchers, we can also go to the Diamond lounge for an extra drink? Or do we need to use the vouchers in the lounge, as well?

Violet, Johnny Rocket's has very good breakfasts, and at no charge. Surprisingly decent coffee as well.

Is there a menu for the JR breakfast somewhere on CC? ;)

Not that we would be drinking enough to do this, but do I understand that if we have vouchers, we can also go to the Diamond lounge for an extra drink? Or do we need to use the vouchers in the lounge, as well?

? ;)[/ QUOTE]

The vouchers are in addition to what you can get in the Diamond/Concierge Club.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you to all that answered. :) I knew that we could not leave the lounge with a drink, but am pleased to see that we can grab a drink and go with the vouchers.

You can get drinks in the lounge without vouchers.

JR breakfast menu:

DSC06210_zps0e0093ab.jpg

Thank you to all that answered. :)

The vouchers are in addition to the Diamond/Concierge lounge free drinks. You do not use them in the lounges. The vouchers are valid the same time as the "happy hour" "cocktail hours" of the two lounges - I think it varies slightly from ship-to-ship, but approximately 5:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

I do not have a JR menu - but it was mainly "diner" type food - eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns, pancakes, waffles, sweet rolls, etc. Example: We ordered scrambled eggs, bacon, type breakfast - kids ordered pancakes and bacon. They loved the bacon and it was soon all gone. The waiter brought more on a plate for everyone to share.

I don't choose ships that are floating malls because I have a mall at home. I don't choose ships with an inside park because I have one down the street. I don't choose ships that are turned into giant lawns because I have a yard. I don't bring my binoculars to stare at people because I like interacting with with them and focus on the SEA!!! What's next inside cars and traffic jams for a giant asphalt themed ship? Classic cruisers must be rolling in their graves as to what this is all turning into. :eek:

I live on the Gulf of Mexico, so if I use the logic quoted above, I should avoid cruises altogether because there would be water around me. Yes, let's undo all of the enhancements we've made over the past 30 years. Maybe we can go back to using 8-Tracks again.

In all seriousness PrincessVIP, I think you should avoid the Oasis. From the sounds of it, she is much too nice of a ship for your tastes.

;)

The vouchers are in addition to what you can get in the Diamond/Concierge Club.

Yippee! I may have to rev up my metabolism for more drinks!

Kidding aside. I wonder if DH can stock up on beers to keep in the stateroom fridge.

Thank you for the JR menu. Suits me just fine, though I like to have fruit and salmon in the a.m. (which I can get at Windjammer before heading to JR) but, DH likes Eggs Benedict.

Is the OJ fresh squeezed?

Is JR open the morning of disembarkation?

Edited by Iamthesea

I live on the Gulf of Mexico, so if I use the logic quoted above, I should avoid cruises altogether because there would be water around me. Yes, let's undo all of the enhancements we've made over the past 30 years. Maybe we can go back to using 8-Tracks again.

In all seriousness PrincessVIP, I think you should avoid the Oasis. From the sounds of it, she is much too nice of a ship for your tastes.

You can do whatever you want cruising is not for everyone. Does your house turn into a houseboat and go to ports? I can't get over the fact that some people have little to no interest in the sea and want to be WOWd by mundane things they have at home.

And Go back 30 years? If you read through any these threads cruising was a premium package. We just rewatched Back to the Future the other night and maybe you need a reminder. They had lawns back then, they had parks back then, and they had malls back then too. They even had peeping toms with binoculars! Enjoy your "nice" ship where you can pretend you are at home, I go to escape completely! :)

You can do whatever you want cruising is not for everyone. Does your house turn into a houseboat and go to ports? I can't get over the fact that some people have little to no interest in the sea and want to be WOWd by mundane things they have at home.

And Go back 30 years? If you read through any these threads cruising was a premium package. We just rewatched Back to the Future the other night and maybe you need a reminder. They had lawns back then, they had parks back then, and they had malls back then too. They even had peeping toms with binoculars! Enjoy your "nice" ship where you can pretend you are at home, I go to escape completely! :)

Wow, the whole point of my response to you went right over your head, and the best part of it is you proved me right without even trying.

As other posters asked you earlier... why are you even on this thread? It's about the enjoyment of the Oasis, which is way out of your league. I think the HMS Bounty might have been more your speed.

PrincessVIP is just trying to stir everybody up here. I considered myself a Princess snob going into an Oasis cruise and fought it for the first couple of days before being totally won over there is not any ship that I have been on that compares to this one. There are a lot of things that I like about every ship We have been on they all have their strong points. Don't let one person who thinks they are a VIP tarnish your opinion of the Princess faithful. If you visit the Princess board you will find that most people there agree that the Oasis is in a class by itself. I would give Princess a big Main Dinning Room edge and Buffet edge but thats about it. I feel Princess is a more relaxing vacation where the Oasis is non stop entertainment. We cancelled a Princess cruise in December and booked the Oasis again. I think we all get stuck on one line trying to become Diamond or Elite to get a few free drinks and miss out on new experiences.

Just returned yesterday from Oasis. Thought I would answer some frequent questions posed on Cruise Critic - these are just personal observations.

Boarded easily around 11:30 a.m. I am Diamond Plus. My baggage delivered around 1:30 p.m. Not sure if because DP, never had so early. Family across hall got their baggage around 3:00 p.m. We all boarded together. Might have been coincidental.

Three drinks loaded on Sea Pass Card - very convenient - but with restrictions. Used in Dazzles and Schooner Bar very easily. Champagne Bar and bar outside of Main Dining Room, Level 3, said they could not be used there. Indicated they were considered "dining room." Think this needs to be clarified - I thought you could not use when seated in MDR, not outside the door. Small point but some may find helpful.

Room service delivery was poor - tried to use - always 45 minutes to 1 hour wait time. This was particularly annoying when just ordering cartons of milk to go with cookies that we had already picked up in the Windjammer. Always same answer regardless of time of day or day of the week.

For the most part felt that people adhered to the "suggested dress" for the evening. Saw some shorts in dining room, but rarely. We were on deck 3. A lot of family groups on board - obviously dressed for a formal night out and pictures. Large percentage of passengers were Asian, Brazilian, Hispanic and dressed very nicely and according to suggested dress each evening. Had second seating.

A lot of families and children on board, but did not feel over-run with kids.

Solarium waiter bar service was excellent, and met many people with drink packages who were highly satisfied with service throughout the ship.

Mainly had dinner in main dining room - food was very good - personally thought better than Allure. Had dinner at Giovanni's one night - excellent.

Park Cafe/Windjammer/Johnny Rockets/Wipe Out Cafe all were busy at peak times, but doable. Windjammer they were seating people when it was busy - meant line moved very quickly.

Hope this will help someone!

Thanks for the info, and yes, you've helped quite a few people here today!

I was on the Allure last November and will be on the Oasis in another year or so. It's good to see fresh and concise feedback from someone just off the ship, and as you can see from the responses in this thread, ALMOST everyone is an Oasis fan. My observations from my Allure experience were very close to what you've described here, so I can't wait to see her "twin sister".

Thanks again!

I'm going on one of the Oasis 5-night Mediterranean cruises, so this question may not translate versus the regular 7-night sailing, but how do they schedule the improv shows? You said you saw 2 - do the comedians do every other days? Or 1/2 the week is one, then the other? Etc. I think I have the comedy club scheduled on consecutive nights and I'm hoping not to see the same show. Thank you.

I'm not sure how the Improv Shows would work on a 5 day cruise but last week the Improv Shows were on Day 4 (Tuesday Night) and Day 7 (Friday night). The Comedy Show (which is in a smaller more intimate venue..think 130 seats where you need reservations and is limited to those over 18) is the same set of comedians (2 comedians and 1 MC) for each show..they run these show 2 or 3 times a night for most nights of the cruise. The same comics did a "family" friendly show on the last night of the cruise.

Thanks for your comments. Do you feel the Improv Comedy shows would be appropriate for a 12 year old or are they more for adults?

There were definitely kids in both improv shows (and some were in the 7 to 8 year old range). There is no cursing. Material is definitely PG 13. It really depends on your child and how you feel about some off color material. The comics do mention at the beginning "that the kids are welcome but they are not responsible for any future therapy sessions :)"

Personally, I don't get offended easily.. I did take my daughter (now 15) to the Cruise "Newlywed Games" a few years ago (probably when she was 12). Depending on the child, the "innuendos" would probably go over their head. Based on my opinion/track record, I would not have had an issue taking my 12 year old to a show like this. However, I also am aware that everybody is different in this particular area with their kids.