Sell me on Solo Sailing

Elsisi

I'm seriously considering booking my first solo cruise for next month. It would be my 8th cruise overall, all with Carnival. I want a vacation by myself so I can just relax, but I'm afraid within a cruise buddy I will be bored. Suggestions?

Being an experienced Carnival cruiser, I think it is safe to assume that you enjoy a fun atmosphere and being around like-minded people.

While I have sailed with friends, most of my travel experiences have been solo. I love the "freedom" of not having to coordinate what I want to do with another's wishes. I love having a stateroom where I can put what I want to put where I want to put it.

I enjoy meeting people at the bar in the lounges and interacting with the bartenders and stewards.

I enjoy dining in a specialty restaurant by myself, people watching if nothing else. (I am not and have never been a solo so insecure that I felt I needed to take "something to read" while dining alone at any restaurant, on land or sea.)

GO! I hope, and think, you will enjoy the experience!

My husband is my best friend and we love to cruise...

However, I needed a quick getaway and he couldn't get the time off so I went alone for the first time. As much as I adore DH, being on my own schedule, having the bed to myself and basically just decompressing solo for 3 days was the best experience...I also enjoyed different activities that DH and I usually blow off while cruising (towel animal tutorial, Love & Marriage, dancing in the nightclub, etc....).

Best 3 days ever! Sometimes I feel a tiny pang of guilt when I look at solo options down the road...LOL!!

I'm seriously considering booking my first solo cruise for next month. It would be my 8th cruise overall, all with Carnival. I want a vacation by myself so I can just relax, but I'm afraid within a cruise buddy I will be bored. Suggestions?

I've done two solo cruises - the rest with my son. While I enjoy the time spent with my son, the solo cruises are the most relaxing I've done. As others have and will say, there is a lot to be said for being able to do whatever you want whenever you want. As a parent, when my son is on vacation with me, it is about him and us, but when I cruise alone is about me and only me. I think I'm a better parent when I spend some time away.

I will be taking my third solo in September. I'm not sure who is looking forward to the break - him or me ;)

I had my first solo cruise on Victory back in late March/early April. It was a great experience and I wouldn't hesitate to cruise solo again if I desired.

First off, there are two ways you can go about it. You can just keep to yourself or you can branch out and meet new people to hang out with. I mixed a little of both.

I was in Miami for a music festival, with friends for a couple days. I wanted a shorter cruise after to use as time to unwind. My friends and I didn't really have that great of a time in Miami and I then decided to have the cruise redeem my vacation. I forced myself to meet new people by doing assigned dining and hanging out around the ship. I made a few new friends and we'd chill around the ship most nights after dinner. When it came to ports, it was cool because I did what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it. There was nobody to be a wet blanket or a person who needed to be baby-sat after having too good a time. There were times when I missed a few of my peers, but I felt that I could go anywhere and make some new ones. Just about everybody I interacted with was having a good time.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

You will have to try it. That's what I am doing in Sept. I booked cruises last month as a solo for the first time.

Kind of seems like I was solo on my last 2 cruises anyway. My cruise buddy and I do different stuff once we get on board the ship and been that way since 2007. Last time she had family members that she hung around with so it really seemed like I was solo.

Basically we just sleep in the same room and eat in the MDR together.

I take a kindle, people watch, eat and sleep when I have a travel buddy. Perfect vacation for me.

Figured I would go on some cheap solo's and make some new cruise buddies.

Edited by tbbtravels

Solo cruising is great. I done 4 or 5 and it great to be on your own schedule. Find I meet more people on solo cruises than when traveling with someone and seem to participate in more activities.

You have to factor in the increased price of going solo but if you can afford it I say go.

You have the option of being as alone or as busy as you like. Getting involved with your sailings roll call is a wonderful way to pre meet people.

I'm taking my 7th solo cruise this year, and I've taken many land trips solo as well. Cruising solo is actually my favorite way to sail. You get to do what you want, when you want. Sometimes they seat all the solo cruisers together at dinner. Go and have a great time!

I'm taking my 7th solo cruise this year, and I've taken many land trips solo as well. Cruising solo is actually my favorite way to sail. You get to do what you want, when you want. Sometimes they seat all the solo cruisers together at dinner. Go and have a great time!

Taking my 8th solo in a few days. This is your time to completely decompress. Everything is on your schedule. Get out of your comfort zone and try EVERYTHING:D Like GAPEARL said..."Do what you want, when you want."

My husband is my best friend and we love to cruise...

However, I needed a quick getaway and he couldn't get the time off so I went alone for the first time. As much as I adore DH, being on my own schedule, having the bed to myself and basically just decompressing solo for 3 days was the best experience...I also enjoyed different activities that DH and I usually blow off while cruising (towel animal tutorial, Love & Marriage, dancing in the nightclub, etc....).

Best 3 days ever! Sometimes I feel a tiny pang of guilt when I look at solo options down the road...LOL!!

Same thing happened to me, my g/f went on a family vacation so I took a 5 day cruise by myself, had a great time. I sometimes look at solo rates

& dream about doing it again.

Total relaxation!!!!!!! Do not have to worry about what others want to do.

Totally agree with that statement !!!

I was sold on solo cruising by a great number of members here, I wasn't before. I finally did the solo thing in may on the ecstasy out of miami and got a no solo supplement outside cabin. Enjoyed myself. If nothing else you get your own cabin and get to do whatever you want, whenever you want. I met new people at the concert, in the hot tubs, on the lido at feeding time, and in the mdr. It's perfectly safe also as long as you are aware of your surroundings and what you say to people and where you go when in port, etc. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

P.S. gapearl check your email. :)

Thanks for all your advice. I don't really know why I'm so apprehensive. I travel alone for work frequently and usually have no problems.

During sea days, I mostly do my own thing anyway - my cruise friends go their own way and I mine. But we always met for dinner each night. I think that may be what I am most apprehensive about. I don't know why - I dine alone all the time on land.

And I think I would miss having someone to go exploring with in port. But since I've been to all the ports on the cruise I'm looking at before, I would probably just stay on board and chill.

Edited by Elsisi
misspelled word

This October will be my 33rd cruise with CCL and 31 have been solo. The only thing that I can say about anyone who chooses to cruise solo is that you have to be out going. If you are introverted I would not go solo. all the people I have met I broke the ice . I think most people are shy ( unless they get alcohol in them )and want to keep to themselves so if you do not approach someone chances are they will not approach you. With that being said I have always had a good time on a cruise when going solo. So go have fun!!!!

Gary

Thanks for all your advice. I don't really know why I'm so apprehensive. I travel alone for work frequently and usually have no problems.

During sea days, I mostly do my own thing anyway - my cruise friends go their own way and I mine. But we always met for dinner each night. I think that may be what I am most apprehensive about. I don't know why - I dine alone all the time on land.

And I think I would miss having someone to go exploring with in port. But since I've been to all the ports on the cruise I'm looking at before, I would probably just stay on board and chill.

I understand. You sound like me. Those were my exact thoughts. I read where the MDR puts solo's together - most of the time. If we don't like our table we can ask to be moved. Read where other people have requested the change and then just wave when they see their first table people on the ship. Wasn't awkward at all. I am not real outgoing either. But I can speak first when I need to. So I think I will be ok going solo. Might miss my dh and kids - but that's the point. LOL

Edited by tbbtravels

I did my first solo cruise on Carnival in 2000. I had travelled before solo on land vacations, so it was not really that big a deal, but I was quite fearful of going to the dining room the first evening and meeting my table mates, but I did, and met some really nice people, and had a great 7 day cruise. I have done two solo cruises since, and am about to go on my fourth solo cruise in November.

Even though you are solo, there is no reason to feel alone. I have always found many people to talk too. But I do have to say, that I absolutely love the freedom of being able to do what I want on my own schedule. Love having the room all to myself:)

Lots to do on board, even if you are solo. Read your Fun Times and mark off the things you are interested in, and go.

Until you take your first solo cruise, you wont know what it is like, but most solo cruisers I meet, or read reviews from on here, say that they are so glad they took their first solo cruise and found out how much fun you can have.

You should give it a try.:)

Edited by SMSACE6

I love travelling solo. Have done half of my cruises solo. I don't think I'm particularly outgoing but have met others just by smiling and saying hello.

I admit the first one was a bit uncomfortable, second was much much better and by the third I'd relaxed enough to just truly enjoy the freedom travelling solo gives me and never looked back. I found most of the uncomfortable moments from the first (and second) were all about me worrying what others "might be thinking about me being alone" by the third I'd realized no one really cared or noticed:) For me I don't do the MDR just a preference since not a foody and 2 hours for a meal isn't my thing.

I plan excursions in the morning and never a problem meeting people with the small groups. Usually do private excursions I plan from tripadvisor and the port boards here. They are always open to solo travelers joining and the smaller groups are great for meeting people, very friendly and never felt like I was out of place.

I do the deli/lido for meals which works for me when I travel solo although may try MDR solo one day just to say I did.

Love my kindle and movies for evenings. When no solo supplement there is no better way to travel inexpensively. I admit I tend to think of the ship as hotel/meals and don't do lots of the entertainment but I don't think I would be uncomfortable if I did, live in a place with lots of live entertainment so not looking particularly for that on board.

Give it a try, you might love it as much as alot of us do. I have actually had people willing to travel with me recently but I still try to alternate with solo cruises in between. Love the family but also love, love the freedom and relaxation of a solo cruise.

Edited by dolfndreams

I cruised solo a few years ago and had a great time. I was also a little nervous about sailing alone and feeling lonely or bored while everyone else was mingling with their spouse or family or whoever they cruised with. Then I realized I would rather be alone on a cruise ship in the Caribbean than alone on my couch in my apartment for my much-needed vacation week from work, and since no one was free to join me, I went ahead and booked solo. Soooo glad I went for it because it was a great cruise and I made a bunch of friends on board so it didn't even matter that I was technically sailing solo. Plus, it was great to be able to do what I wanted, when I wanted, between activities in port or on the ship at night. I hope you do decide to sail solo, and if so, have a wonderful vacation!

This October will be my 33rd cruise with CCL and 31 have been solo. The only thing that I can say about anyone who chooses to cruise solo is that you have to be out going. If you are introverted I would not go solo. all the people I have met I broke the ice . I think most people are shy ( unless they get alcohol in them )and want to keep to themselves so if you do not approach someone chances are they will not approach you. With that being said I have always had a good time on a cruise when going solo. So go have fun!!!!

Gary

I'm more of an introvert than extrovert and I don't have a problem with cruising solo. I'm very comfortable in my own skin and enjoy being alone, but can be very social if I feel like it.

I've been on 5 cruises with only one being solo, but have another solo cruise booked in August. I love cruising solo because as someone mentioned above, you can do want you want to, when you want to.