Tablemate assignments for 2 adults

MadMark

My dw and I are going on our first Disney Cruise and was wondering if we will be seated with families with children or will Disney put us with other adults. We love children but leaving our four behind seems less special if we are dining with others kids. LOL!

My dw and I are going on our first Disney Cruise and was wondering if we will be seated with families with children or will Disney put us with other adults. We love children but leaving our four behind seems less special if we are dining with others kids. LOL!

In our experience, we've only been seated with other couples within 5 years of our ages.

As 2 adults, we have never been seated with a family with kids. If you want to be seated as "just us," let DCL know. Ignore the "this is only a request " speech. We've always gotten it. If you make no request, you will be seated with one or more adult couples. We've been at tables for 6 and 8 will other pairs; one time it was a table for 8 with 3 pairs and a single.

No kids unless you have them with you. They KNOW you do'nt want to deal with other people's children,

In our experience, we've only been seated with other couples within 5 years of our ages.

Same here. Interestingly enough, the first time was with two Canadian couples, and the second time with two British couples. We had a great time both times.

When we've had our adult children along (early 20s), we've either been seated at our own table, or with another family of adults only.

Disney also tries to make one of the late seatings with mostly adults. Kids will still be present and maybe next to you, but not at the same table.

Disney also tries to make one of the late seatings with mostly adults. Kids will still be present and maybe next to you, but not at the same table.

They used to, a long time ago....I WISH they still did this, but it has been many years since there has been an "adults/older kids: rotation.

They used to' date=' a long time ago....I WISH they still did this, but it has been many years since there has been an "adults/older kids: rotation.[/quote']

Back in April I called to have our rotation adjusted so we could be in Lumiere's on Formal Night for our Med cruise. DCL told me that this might take us out of the "mostly adult" rotation. As it was, the rotation we were in was mostly adults and older kids, though there were some younger kids but not many. One of our servers told us we our seating rotation had the fewest children.

Edited by Sir William

Back in April I called to have our rotation adjusted so we could be in Lumiere's on Formal Night for our Med cruise. DCL told me that this might take us out of the "mostly adult" rotation. As it was, the rotation we were in was mostly adults and older kids, though there were some younger kids but not many. One of our servers told us we our seating rotation had the fewest children.

Maybe they started it again. If so, YEAH. We cruised in May, but our entire cruise was mostly adults, so certainly couldn't judge on that basis. On our last Fantasy cruise, even late seating was LITTLE kid city with some particularly neglectful parents. Not nice at all.

Maybe they started it again. If so' date=' YEAH. We cruised in May, but our entire cruise was mostly adults, so certainly couldn't judge on that basis. On our last Fantasy cruise, even late seating was LITTLE kid city with some particularly neglectful parents. Not nice at all.[/quote']

On the other hand, maybe that CM on the phone doesn't know that rotation isn't really "done" anymore. ;)

I have four experiences on DCL sailing as just two adults. The following were our experiences:

Sailed with my mom (me-43, DM-68) - we had late dinner seating with three other married couples ranging in age from late-40's to mid-60's.

Sailed with my DH (both in our 40's) - we sailed concierge with late dinner seating and were seated alone, which I later found out is the norm for concierge (we would have requested otherwise had we known)

Sailed with my DH (both in our 40's) - we had late dinner seating on a sailing that was not nearly full at all and ended up at a table alone (saw many other tables at late seating with just a single family/couple at them)

Sailed with my best friend (both in our mid to late 40's) - we had early dinner seating and were seated with two married couples, both in their 40's.

Edited by iloverags2

Not disagreeing with others experiences but we (grandparent age) were placed at a ten top that was all families with young children (I think 6 was the oldest child). None of the parents at the table could understand why we were seated there. Top it off it was late seating so all the youngsters were tired and out of sorts most nights. Most nights at least one child fell asleep at the table. We felt bad for them.

We were also told we couldn't be relocated. Can't say it was fun but we survived.;)

Not disagreeing with others experiences but we (grandparent age) were placed at a ten top that was all families with young children (I think 6 was the oldest child). None of the parents at the table could understand why we were seated there. Top it off it was late seating so all the youngsters were tired and out of sorts most nights. Most nights at least one child fell asleep at the table. We felt bad for them.

We were also told we couldn't be relocated. Can't say it was fun but we survived.;)

WOW, first time I've ever heard of such a thing. Couldn't be relocated? Never heard of that either.

Three Disney Cruises (a fourth next month) and on all three we have had a table for two. Actually a table for 4 but with only two people at it since Disney doesn't technically have tables for two.

My understanding is if you're adults with no kids, Disney will automatically seat you at a table with fellow adults and no children unless you request otherwise (such as a table for two or you actually want to sit with kids).

WOW' date=' first time I've ever heard of such a thing. Couldn't be relocated? Never heard of that either.[/quote']

I have heard of a little mis-matching done once in a while. I think it has to do with when DCL gets down to the end of their list for seating (table) assignments there may be fewer exact matches and a few people sort of get "lumped" together.

We had that on one of our MR cruises. It was DH & I (somewhat older couple ;)) and our son - 18. We were seated at an 8 top with a mom (I'd guess her age in the 40s, her daughter 13, son 16, and older daughter 20, with her son 3. The closest match there was our 18 year old son and her 16 year old son. And that's not really a match, since our son was an adult and hers wasn't. :confused:

But, I agree, I've not heard of "can't be relocated".

I have heard of a little mis-matching done once in a while. I think it has to do with when DCL gets down to the end of their list for seating (table) assignments there may be fewer exact matches and a few people sort of get "lumped" together.

We had that on one of our MR cruises. It was DH & I (somewhat older couple ;)) and our son - 18. We were seated at an 8 top with a mom (I'd guess her age in the 40s, her daughter 13, son 16, and older daughter 20, with her son 3. The closest match there was our 18 year old son and her 16 year old son. And that's not really a match, since our son was an adult and hers wasn't. :confused:

But, I agree, I've not heard of "can't be relocated".

While I agree that this is not an ideal match, you could argue that there were "young adults (your 18 and their 20) or you could see it as their 16 year old son and your 18. But placing a family of 3 adults with a 3 year old is just wrong. But that's still a lot different than older adults being placed with very young children.

I think we've only asked to be moved on one cruise (after meeting the table mates) and I know we had a family ask to be moved from us--but it was obvious from minute one that they were angry at having someone else at "their" table. They would have taken offense at anyone. We've more often made lasting friendships with table mates.

Bottom line--if a guest has a request, let DCL know in advance (whether "just us" or anything else!)

We were seated as a couple with a family of 14! The minute we sat down the first night, the server asked us if we would like our table split off so we could sit alone, of course we said yes, and they had our table split for us each night following. The one down side was that because our server had such a large party, our food took forever!

We were seated as a couple with a family of 14! The minute we sat down the first night, the server asked us if we would like our table split off so we could sit alone, of course we said yes, and they had our table split for us each night following. The one down side was that because our server had such a large party, our food took forever!

Each serving team is normally assigned 18 guests. So, while your server had one large party, it is likely that the reason your food was delayed was that your server was not efficient.

What the server could have done--if you were on time and a member of the other party was late, your order could have been taken and turned into the galley before he even took the order for the other table. Not all servers will do this, but the efficient ones will!

We had one cruise with a table at our station that was ALWAYS late. I'm not talking 5 minutes, I'm talking about 30 minutes or even more. After the first night, the server told us that he was going to try to get our orders in very quickly so that we'd be on our entree by the time the late table arrived. That way, he could spend appropriate time with them, but we were well cared for. We felt really bad for the servers.

I've not heard of "can't be relocated

Not interested in getting into a debate on the subject, you're free believe it or not, I don't much care either way as I know what happened. I know we were told nothing else was available so...

Not interested in getting into a debate on the subject, you're free believe it or not, I don't much care either way as I know what happened. I know we were told nothing else was available so...

Sorry, my point was not to debate or to dis-believe your statement. It was totally that I've never heard of this happening on our nearly 30 DCL cruises (mostly Magic). Especially in the last few years, the answers you get can totally depend on who you talk with. We experienced that with several different departments--one CM says "no way," and another makes it happen.

I believe that you were told you couldn't be moved.; I've just never heard of it happening prior to your report.