Need some advice - cruise first or WDW first?

In December we are taking our family of three boys (aged almost 7, 8 and 13) from NZ to Orlando. We want to spend 5 days at Disney and 2 at Universal plus do a 7 night cruise on the Disney magic (who we recently saw docked in Venice and Katakolon and fell in love with).

We have an option of the Disney Magic on the 7th of Dec (cheaper) or the 14th of Dec.

We can't leave NZ till the morning of the 6th but due to time zone changes we will still manage to get into Orlando around 5:30pm the 'same' day. We will have spent almost 24 hours in planes and airports by then and there is a time zone difference of UTC -4 hours. This means that at 1pm NZ time, it is 9pm Orlando time.

I'm undecided about whether we cruise first (and hope we don't have any delays with our connecting flights) and plan to have the boys over their jet lag by the time we hit the parks; or whether we go to the parks first and plan on having siestas.

Going to the parks earlier in Dec will mean less crowds but its pretty full on immediately and I don't know how the jet lag will affect my sons.

Going on the cruise first gives them a chance to adjust to the time zones but means we are hitting the parks mid-Dec when it reputedly gets busier. How much of an effect will this have?

Also, will the cruise be an anti-climax after five days at Disney or is it a totally different experience? Its their first cruise but I don't want them to be over-Disneyed before we get there.

I'd love any advice and insight from those who have done both - especially at this time of the year!

There is a possibility we can leave a day earlier in order to give ourselves some buffer time. I'd need to plan it carefully the 5th is the final day of the school term and I have two boys living with me till then who may not go home to their own countries till after school that day.

In my opinion, this is a "no brainer." Parks first.

Reasons are many.

First, if something messes up with your travel, you may lose a day of your parks but you won't "miss the boat." If your luggage manages to get lost, it will have time to catch up with you.

We find that kids tend to get really spoiled on the ships--blink twice and your server is bringing you whatever. The get used to things like unlimited (included) Mickey Bars, etc. Re-entry to the real world is easier when we have gone from the ship to our home. Ship to parks, they tend to expect the same things as the ship and it just isn't that way.

Parks are a lot of effort and walking. I joke that mom is still on duty in the parks. In comparison, the ship is relaxing and everyone can be on vacation.

The ship and the parks are totally different. NO WAY the ship will be a let down. Hey, the ship has Marvel Academy!

We find that kids tend to get really spoiled on the ships--blink twice and your server is bringing you whatever. The get used to things like unlimited (included) Mickey Bars' date=' etc. Re-entry to the real world is easier when we have gone from the ship to our home. Ship to parks, they tend to expect the same things as the ship and it just isn't that way.

[/quote']

We'll be heading up to New York for a week afterwards before heading home so they better not be too spoilt! :P

You make some really good points! Thank you.

We'll be heading up to New York for a week afterwards before heading home so they better not be too spoilt! :P

You make some really good points! Thank you.

You are most welcome....and your kids may be different than mine was.

I just remember one episode when the little darling piped up with "Mom, can you please get me XYZ?" We were both sitting in our living room. I responded that she could get up and get it herself--did I look like Micho? (our server on the ship who treated her like a princess). I always found the parks after the cruise to be more difficult, and then got to return to work less rested than after the cruise.

I agree with parks first. We did a 4 night Dream last year, followed by three nights at Universal. While I was fine onboard, it took me several days to get my land legs back. It is quite disconcerting to walk around a theme park while you feel like the ground is tilting.

The cruise is also a great way to relax after the stimulation overload of the theme parks.

I agree with parks first. We did a 4 night Dream last year, followed by three nights at Universal. While I was fine onboard, it took me several days to get my land legs back. It is quite disconcerting to walk around a theme park while you feel like the ground is tilting.

The cruise is also a great way to relax after the stimulation overload of the theme parks.

You make an excellent point! After mine and my husband's anniversary cruise at the start of this month it took me almost a week to stop feeling like everything was rocking. The first two days were absolutely terrible and the sensation was only relieved when I was in a plane, train, car or boat. It was horrid!

I agree with the others.

Parks first, followed by the cruise. This will give you the chance to unwind on the cruise following action packed days at the parks. You will be VERY READY for a sea day or 2 after 7 days of Disney & Universal.

Doing the parks first as my husband likes to fly in a couple of days early in case of flight problems since we are west coast. The cruise is afterwards so we can feel relaxed and pampered before heading back to reality.

To me this is the best reason to do the parks first. After a cruise it can take me a week to stop the rocking motion, and trying to maximize park time and not feeling your best while fighting crowds can make for a testy vacation.

I cast the dissenting vote for taking the cruise first.

The reasn is that I get exhausted at WDW with all of the early mornings, miles of walking and late hours just to do it again with few hours of sleep. I don't want to board the ship exhausted and spend my precious onboard time napping and resting my dogs. I don't need a cruise to relax, I can do that at home in the evenings.

By taking the cruise first, I board relatively rested and blister-free and I have a good chance of starting my WDW portion of the vacation the same way.

Edited by Host Mick

I cast the dissenting vote for taking the cruise first.

The reasn is that I get exhausted at WDW with all of the early mornings, miles of walking and late hours just to do it again with few hours of sleep. I don't want to board the ship exhausted and spend my precious onboard time napping and resting my dogs. I don't need a cruise to relax, I can do that at home in the evenings.

By taking the cruise first, I board relatively rested and blister-free and I have a good chance of starting my WDW portion of the vacation the same way.

While that was our original thought it was far from true. We did 10 days at WDW June24-July 3 a month ago. We did a ton of walking, swimming, waiting in lines for buses, for rides, etc. The cruise was perfect coming in the last 3 nights of the trip. The cruise is just naturally more relaxing. I don't think we napped at all on the cruise, we enjoyed all that the ship had to offer, it just wasn't as exhausting and tiring.

Another point to consider is at WDW you have to pay for every meal, snack, bottled water, etc. (Unless you purchase a Dining plan but even that is limited in what you get with it). The cruise virtually everything is included. Going from getting everything included free to having to pay for everything wont seem as great as the other way around!

+1, what we did last time. But if you are traveling a long ways unless you have a couple days to get time change, the cruise might be a better first choice for the younger ones.

In my opinion' date=' this is a "no brainer." Parks first.

Reasons are many.

First, if something messes up with your travel, you may lose a day of your parks but you won't "miss the boat." If your luggage manages to get lost, it will have time to catch up with you.

We find that kids tend to get really spoiled on the ships--blink twice and your server is bringing you whatever. The get used to things like unlimited (included) Mickey Bars, etc. Re-entry to the real world is easier when we have gone from the ship to our home. Ship to parks, they tend to expect the same things as the ship and it just isn't that way.

Parks are a lot of effort and walking. I joke that mom is still on duty in the parks. In comparison, the ship is relaxing and everyone can be on vacation.

The ship and the parks are totally different. NO WAY the ship will be a let down. Hey, the ship has Marvel Academy![/quote']

I prefer cruise first b/c I think getting off the ship is traumatic. Knowing you still "at least" have some fun ahead of you at parks helps to soften the blow.

But OP still has the remainder of their vacation in the states regardless of which Disney happens first.

The cure for the sadness of leaving the ship is knowing that you have another cruise booked!

Since we like to be sure that we are near the ship before the sailing date I vote for the parks first. Worked well for us both sailing out of Port Canaveral and last year out of the port of Los Angeles (where we did Disneyland first). Since we are DVC we haven't done the parks commando style in years so we still get that vacation feel without being tired like Host Mick talked about.

But OP still has the remainder of their vacation in the states regardless of which Disney happens first.

The cure for the sadness of leaving the ship is knowing that you have another cruise booked!

Yes, we will be heading up to New York for Christmas. The kids have never been there and we are hoping for snow which will be a new experience for them.

And I have to agree with your final point - I boarded my first cruise less than a month ago and already have another booked! And I suspect it will be Asia after this one. :D

I really appreciate all the advice and viewpoints that people have taken the time to post.

In the end, we have decided to cruise second with a large part of that being simply because otherwise we would be dependent on all three flights (two of them international) to go without hitch and be on time in order for us to make the Magic cruise on the 7th. Also, I think it will provide a relaxing break between the craziness of the parks and the immense amount of walking and busyness in New York. With regards to jet lag, I think that is going to happen one way or another and we will just have to schedule in a siesta each afternoon in the first week. :D

The kids are super excited and already talking about it constantly!

I think you have made the right decision, and honestly, an afternoon nap or pool break is often a good idea at WDW. Get up and go till you are tired (especially if it is a morning "Extra Magic Hours" day. Hit the hotel when people are tired (easy if you are staying on property). and then return for the evening festivities in the parks.

Have a great trip!

I don't know if you've looked at booking yet, but your dates might hit the free dining plan--book the cruise and the WDW portion separately in order to get this promotion. A good travel agent can do this easily and make it look like a seamless vacation for you but still get you the best deal on each part of the trip. You can do it on your own as well. It is just a little more effort than booking everything thu DCL, but can be a significant savings.

I looked--free dining plan is an available package for your dates.

Edited by moki'smommy

I think you are very wise doing the cruise second. We have done a seven day Disney/seven day DCL cruise combo, and were very glad we did it in that order.

I think you are also wise to be considering the potential for weather or other delays. if you miss a day at Disney it's sad but certainly not the end of the world. If you miss the cruise, it could be several days before you can catch up.