Help with Hook Bracelet

azkcruizers

I just booked a cruise on the Celebrity Reflection for November 29th for just my husband and I for our 20th anniversary...:) So excited we usually bring our three kids and other family members which is a load of fun but it will be so nice to just get away the two of us.

I really want to get a hook bracelet while I'm in St. Thomas and am hoping you can help me out. I'd like to get one from the St. John Bracelet company but will definately not be going to St. John this time :( I like their quality and pricing. I know that there are hook bracelets in St Thomas but I hate to spend my time looking for price and quality. Is there anyone that can direct me to someone comaparable on St. Thomas or does the St. John Bracelet company sell their bracelets in any stores in St. Thomas?

Thanks ahead for all of your help!

Karen

We looked all over St Thomas and found nothing of comparable quality or workmanship. My wife had the owner at St John Bracelet custom make one while we enjoyed STJ.

So my recommendation would be to purchase one on line from them now and wear it on your cruise! That way you're not wasting any time on that and you can instead enjoy anniversary cocktails at Paradise Point. I also surprised my wife with vow renewals at the gazebo there, nice spot overlooking the harbor.

Enjoy your 20th anniversary cruise!

I will trust your judgement if you looked all over! Seeing our anniversary is before our cruise it would be a great idea to get it online then and spend our time there doing something more enjoyable!

Thank you for your help! I'm sure when we arrive in St. Thomas I will be especially happy to not drag my husband from store to store being difficult to please!

Karen

I agree with Bluewater. St John Bracelet has gorgeous, unique bracelets of outstanding quality. I want him to make me a hammered bracelet or bangle. Maybe with a starfish.

If you have old, broken silver, he can send it to a recycler and deduct what he gets from the price of your bracelet (well, maybe not all but some!)

The hook bracelet I had kept getting caught on fabric, so stopped wearing it and now don't know where it is! If you're taken, you may not have that problem. ;-)

I will trust your judgement if you looked all over! Seeing our anniversary is before our cruise it would be a great idea to get it online then and spend our time there doing something more enjoyable!

Thank you for your help! I'm sure when we arrive in St. Thomas I will be especially happy to not drag my husband from store to store being difficult to please!

Karen

Karen your husband will be happier! :p

Most (many) get their hook bracelets in St Croix, rather than St Thomas.

There are several bracelet threads on the St Croix board, and I have gotten 2 from Sonya, who is the originator.

I got them on island, but they are very reputable, and would not hesitate to order one off the web site, if I needed to.

There are several cheaper imitation styles from the vendors in the tents at the port.

http://www.sonyaltd.com

I bought a yellow 14K with white 14k accents hook bracelet years ago in St. Thomas. I had no idea there was a 'name' for it or that some call it collectible but the price of gold was so much lower then vs what it is now, I got a great bracelet I've enjoyed for years at a price I could only dream about today. :) Of course, the jewelry stores in all the islands had far more selection in those days than now. With the price of gold and bad economy so many of them no longer have the quantity and selection of merchandise they used to offer.

You probably can find some nice hook bracelets in St. Thomas now but it would take some 'looking'.

STJ Bracelet does an excellent job with peening ("hammering"), we've seen peened examples from other sources and they would hit it 1/4 as many times as a rush job and consider it finished. That's one of the criteria you look for in these, the craftmanship. My wife's was custom-made as I mentioned and it's beautiful.

Yellow gold inventories are lower at any jewelry store due to the prices, but he had the materials there to make whatever we wanted. I know it doesn't help you Karen, but it's even nicer when you design your bracelet with the artist and then see the end result after enjoying the island.

There's now a nice store in Red Hook that has some decent choices but they were still not as nice as the STJ bracelets and were not top quality workmanship. We saw nothing in CA but we also haven't looked in 2 years.

All of your comments are very helpful to me! Right now I'm thinking I'm going to try to work with ibdesignsvi or St. John Bracelet Company to see if they can make something incorporating a couple of elements that I would like in the bracelet.

Blue water...was it Terrell that you worked with when you had your wife's bracelet made? I had sent an email there and that is who responded to me.

Thanks for sticking with me!

St John Bracelet Co is next to Woody's, so keep straight on the road that's in front of you as you get off the ferry. It's about a block up and on your left.

I asked if he could use some of my silver, and he said he mails it to a company in the States that buys scrap metal, and deducts what he gets from your invoice.

Thanks....

I have one from St. Croix but would love one from St. John's.

We are port in St. Croix on sunday and Sonya's will be closed.

Love the hook bracelets... add another one to my collection

Thank again,

Joanne

Thanks....

I have one from St. Croix but would love one from St. John's.

We are port in St. Croix on sunday and Sonya's will be closed.

Love the hook bracelets... add another one to my collection

Thank again,

Joanne

The couple who sells for Sonya in Fredricksted will likely be at their tent on Sunday..walk a bit to the right when you get to the street. The knock offs are in the tents to the left, in the "flea market" area. I never thought of multiples..I have a big one that I wear all the time, maybe I need a smaller one to keep it company....

The couple who sells for Sonya in Fredricksted will likely be at their tent on Sunday..walk a bit to the right when you get to the street. The knock offs are in the tents to the left, in the "flea market" area. I never thought of multiples..I have a big one that I wear all the time, maybe I need a smaller one to keep it company....

I will give Sonya's called to find out which vendor works with her.

Was wanting to get infinity braclet.

If you're on St Thomas, you may find "deal" coupons in the tourist publications, but the amount of silver and workmanship may not compare to some others you may find. Nobody on St Thomas, that I know of, is making them near either cruise dock.

Many of the bracelets come from Caribbean Bracelet Company which is, I think, based in the States. These are the ones that you see in many better souvenir/jewelry stores especially on St Thomas. The bracelet is smooth, hooks come in a variety of styles, and price determined by style and precious metals used.

St John Bracelet Co, as far as I know, doesn't wholesale, so I think you can only get them on St John. He has various hook styles, too, but also his bracelets can have textured hammering. I've always loved this look. He can do custom bracelets, but I don't think he has a website, unfortunately.

Sonya doesn't do hammered bracelets, but their good quality bracelets are great if you're visiting St Croix.

IB ( Island Boy Designs), also on St Croix, has hammered designs, too, but also has matching earrings, etc. Should have a website, but haven't checked in a few years. He was a favorite of a friend of mine. Very good quality.

There may be others selling hook bracelets, but this is what I've seen during the last 10 years.

I will give Sonya's called to find out which vendor works with her.

Was wanting to get infinity braclet.

It is a man and woman, he has New Jersey accent, she has a European accent.

They have been there both times I have visited, the man said he has worked for Sonya for years, used to be in the manufacture side (hate to use that word manufacture, since they are hand made..).