Nice for a day...DIY suggestions

midwestchick

We'll be arriving in Nice on 18 September and probably won't feel like doing much because of jet lag, etc.

We have a full day on the 19th before we sail on the 20th. I had thought about a half day excursion to see Eze and maybe a couple other places but also want to spend time in Nice.

If we do a half day excursion, we'll be doing it on our own so want to keep it reasonable.

Suggestions for a DIY would be appreciated. We're staying at Hotel Victor Hugo and understand it's pretty central to many things.

Ok, so lets talk about the 19th. We suggest you walk from your hotel to the Nice Flower Market which is on the Cours Selaya in the Old Town (ask your hotel for a local street map and have them mark a route). That is a great place to start the day and will give you a great feel for Provence. As to Eze Village, its a bit tricky for DIY since its only served by a local bus about once every 1 1/2 - 2 hours. But your hotel can give you info on the bus (less then 2 Euros) and the schedule ( I believe its bus #82). You will also want to explore the old town neighborhood and perhaps later take a stroll on the famous Promanade.

Hank

Ok, so lets talk about the 19th. We suggest you walk from your hotel to the Nice Flower Market which is on the Cours Selaya in the Old Town (ask your hotel for a local street map and have them mark a route). That is a great place to start the day and will give you a great feel for Provence. As to Eze Village, its a bit tricky for DIY since its only served by a local bus about once every 1 1/2 - 2 hours. But your hotel can give you info on the bus (less then 2 Euros) and the schedule ( I believe its bus #82). You will also want to explore the old town neighborhood and perhaps later take a stroll on the famous Promanade.

Hank

Thank you. I will do some research on doing Old Town. I've seen videos about the flower market. I wonder if I can do part of the time in Eze and then the rest of the time in Nice on the 19th. Maybe we could do the area close to our hotel once we check in. I'm really not planning on much on the day we arrive but hopefully a few hours can possibly be worked out.

Since you seem to know the area, where would you suggest we have dinner?

Thank you. I will do some research on doing Old Town. I've seen videos about the flower market. I wonder if I can do part of the time in Eze and then the rest of the time in Nice on the 19th. Maybe we could do the area close to our hotel once we check in. I'm really not planning on much on the day we arrive but hopefully a few hours can possibly be worked out.

Since you seem to know the area, where would you suggest we have dinner?

ARGH! Tripadvisor rates more then 1000 restaurants in Nice and we suspect they missed a few. Since we view cuisine as a very personal experience it is so difficult to recommend a place to strangers. And in France, your budget will be a major factor. One can certainly dine in Chanteclar (in the Negresco Hotel) which has long been a favorite restaurant...but one could easily spend over $500 at this venue. Then there is the small La Meranda restaurant which is chef/owned by the rather interesting Dominque Le Stanc. Just getting into this little place can be a challenge and its a love it or leave it kind of experience. Chef Le Stanc actually once was the Executive Chef at the Negresco Hotel and took Chanteclar to its 2nd Michelin Star. He then abruptly quit and started his own tiny restaurant which focused primarily on regional cuisine at a much lower cost.

There are also lots of restaurants/cafes located in the old town area (our favorite part of town) which tend to focus on regional cuisine. Our personal favorite dish in this part of France is their very popular fish soup (Soupe de Poisson) which is usually accompanied by Aoli, croutons, cheese, etc.

Hank

If you are interested in art, the Chagall Museum in Nice is a very special place. Chagall designed it himself, and the centerpieces are his large 12 works illustrating scences from Genesis to Exodus.

It's an easy bus ride after the previously noted suggested visit to the Nice Flower Market. (There also is a Matisse museum not far away but I have not yet visited there.)