If Princess calls......

Rosethorn40

These folks get your number because some commercial enterprise you give it to sells it on.

A trick some folks do here in the UK, is to purchase a premium rate number, which shares a line with their regular number. Then whenever any commercial organisation, particuarly on-line stores, insist they enter their telephone number on the order form, they give the premium rate number.

If that number is then sold on, anyone who uses that number to call them pays around $10 per hour of which they get around 50%.

Sort of makes it worthwhile talking to them.

Although purchasing premium rate numbers for this purpose is frowned upon by the UK equivalent of FCC, but nobody appears to have ever made a complaint!!

Another trick when ordering on line, is to enter the number of the organisation you are purchasing from. Then, if they sell on 'your number', they also get the nuisance calls.

I'm just brainstorming here, but have you tried actually answering the phone? I find that's a surefire way of determining who's calling me.

LOL!:D:D:D

Doesn't Princess send emails for upsells? That is how I received an offer in an email..

Unless you are using a travel agent and they are in Miami....

I received an upgrade offer (not an upsell offer) by telephone from Princess. It was a few years ago and evidently there was a solo traveler who really wanted my aft Aloha deck cabin on the Sapphire. The Princess rep called me and asked if I would be willing to give up my cabin for a mini-suite with no extra charge. I said yes and loved that mini-suite.

What shows up on Caller ID? I'm just a little curious, because it always seems that about 2-3 weeks before we sail on Princess I get a call from Miami. FL. I don't know anyone in Miami, and the calls seem to come when I'm about to go on a cruise, and no other time. There a large number of unsold cabins on our upcoming cruise on August 23rd, and I was thinking they might start be making upsell offers. Don't think we would get one though. We already have a balcony that I'm happy with the location. The mini-suites are sold out, and there are 3 window suites and a handful of mid ship suites left. There are a large number of balcony's though throughout the ship available.

I am surprised that this close to sailing there are so many cabins unsold. I'm guessing that people who live in Florida are going to be able to take advantage of some amazing deals.

What usually shows up on my phone is toll free number from my PVP or the general toll free number .

These folks get your number because some commercial enterprise you give it to sells it on.

True in some cases, but most phone spam (at least in the USA) is robo-dialers just dialing every possible phone number.

We get repeated calls ranging from "Microsoft has detected a virus in your system" to "A free personal alert system has been purchased by a friend for you."

My numbers are on the Do Not Call registry and they receive telemarketer calls every day. None of them even care that you're registered. We block as many as our Comcast allows. And still more call...

Then you need to report them to the do not call registry.

https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx

We have never had an upsell from Princess. We have had upgrades when we booked gty cabins and with those w never got a call to ask us if we would accept. they would show up when we printed the boarding pass and once a the pier when we checked in. Most of the time we get exactly what we pay for.

Edited by dorisis

I received one of the magical free upgrade phone calls about a week before a March 2013 Caribbean cruise. We had booked one balcony and one inside cabin for our family of four and Princess offered us an upgrade to a full suite for the same price because they had people wanting our cabins. Of course we took it and absolutely loved our suite and the perks that went along with it. It was a once in a lifetime thing, though, and now we're back to two inside cabins for our next cruise. :)

Anyway, I'm almost positive our caller ID said Princess. I had decided to go home during my lunch hour from work - which I very rarely do - and so happened to be home when the call came in. I never answer our home phone unless I recognize the number or name, so I wouldn't have picked up if it hadn't identified as coming from Princess. Boy was I happy I came home and picked up! When I made our most recent booking, I made sure to give them my cell phone number just in case lightning strikes twice. ;)

You can find out who's calling you by googling the number. For unwanted calls you can put your name on the Do Not Call list, works for cell numbers as well.

It does not work for charities and political calls...they are exempt.

It does not work for charities and political calls...they are exempt.

Or for surveys or many sales calls. Despite being on the registry my land line still gets sales calls.

I know what an 'upgrade' is. From reading, I'm thinking a 'move over ' is a call from Princess asking you to change your cruise date, yes? But what is an 'upsell' ? I am surprised that I never heard these terms before.

Do the latter two happen frequently? And is it from a Princess rep directly on the phone?

Thanks in advance for clarifying this for me.

Barbara

I know what an 'upgrade' is. From reading, I'm thinking a 'move over ' is a call from Princess asking you to change your cruise date, yes? But what is an 'upsell' ? I am surprised that I never heard these terms before.

Do the latter two happen frequently? And is it from a Princess rep directly on the phone?

Thanks in advance for clarifying this for me.

Barbara

An upsell is when Princess has people wanting to book the category of room you have but they have sold all of that category. They offer to move you to a higher category for a nominal fee.

If you take the offer you end up with a higher category of room without paying the full cost of that category. Sometimes the upsell offer is really good. Sometimes it isn't all that good. You have a limited time frame to take the offer or reject it.

If nobody takes the upsell offer they will start making the offer sweeter until somebody does take it.

You can find out who's calling you by googling the number. For unwanted calls you can put your name on the Do Not Call list, works for cell numbers as well.

Sorry, but the Do Not Call list is useless. Our unwanted sales, silent, & political calls have not changed since registering.

Then you need to report them to the do not call registry.

https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx

o Most of the telemarketer scam calls are from outside the USA and no US agency can do anything to stop them

o For the illegal calls made within the USA the agency still rarely tries to stop them, just keeps a log of the complaints.

We don't have call waiting or display. But just like if anyone comes to our door we get their contact info and then call them back. It pays to be paranoid and double check things. On one of the Facebook groups I belong to there was a letter being sent that said people had been given a free cruise and it was dismissed as a scam.

Go Princess Cruiser's !!fb

o Most of the telemarketer scam calls are from outside the USA and no US agency can do anything to stop them

o For the illegal calls made within the USA the agency still rarely tries to stop them, just keeps a log of the complaints.

Maybe it has something to do with my telephone provider which is through my cable company because I haven't received any solicitation in years. As a matter of fact the only calls I receive on my home phone are from my parents and now that my 82yr old father started texting on his flip phone even that's tapered off.