Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal

What year are you planning, 2014 or 2015?

The wife and I are doing the 17 night out of San Fran on September 15, 2015 (Aqua A1).

Aqua Class A1 has 1 cabin left, A2 has 12 left.

For the $100 difference I would do A1.

CaptDave

I think this sails out on Sept 18th. No?? That's what we booked, anyway. My sister in law said she saw it leaving on the 17th. Oh, guess we will deal with it when that day comes. hahaha

I think this sails out on Sept 18th. No?? That's what we booked, anyway. My sister in law said she saw it leaving on the 17th. Oh, guess we will deal with it when that day comes. hahaha

Yes, the wife pointed out my typo.

CaptDave

We just canceled our March 2015 cruise from San Diego to Ft Lauderdale as we saw there was one leaving from San Francisco to Ft Lauderdale in Sept. and booked that one instead.

While the port of San Diego is located so conveniently to the airport, you won't have the pleasure of sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge....I still get shivers every time I do that.

However, there are some special oceanview rooms available on the M-class ships. I was booked in 3112 -- if you do a search, you will notice a LOT of people rave about this room. It is a small price compared to a balcony and larger than the average stateroom as well as having a huge window....almost floor to ceiling. So, if you are considering going as soon as March, this room just opened up yesterday. You probably won't see it advertised online...you probably would have to call in for it. It is also in a nice midship location.

I would absolutely go in Aqua Class but way outside my budget....I mean, so far outside my budget that it would mean my last cruise ever.

The canal is such an amazing engineering feat. I last went through the canal on the Mercury and it was one of the best cruises ever. I don't think it would matter much going east or west but I do like cruising to home. This one that goes west to east means I can actually take less time off from work and my time off is limited. I can work on the morning of embarkation day and catch the train to the pier...and on disembarkation day, I can fly straight home and be to work the next morning. If leaving from Ft Lauderdale, I would have to take an extra day off to fly out and get a cab to a hotel and back into a cab the next day to get to the ship. So, as much as I like sailing into the port of San Francisco, this direction is actually a money saver.

What year are you planning, 2014 or 2015?

The wife and I are doing the 17 night out of San Fran on September 15, 2015 (Aqua A1).

Aqua Class A1 has 1 cabin left, A2 has 12 left.

For the $100 difference I would do A1.

CaptDave

I am on that same cruise and in a A2, what is the difference between a A1 & A2?

$100 and your on deck 11.

CaptDave

Dave, I just checked my documentations for my room # and Infinity's deck plans, I am on deck 9. Deck 9, for Aqua, only has A2s. Deck 11 has the A1s.

I can see the advantage of Deck 11, you are in the back and nothing really around you.

I been on all the S class ships but never a M class ship, so I kind of looking forward to this not to mention a great itinerary.

Edited by Banjo

Dave, I just checked my documentations for my room # and Infinity's deck plans, I am on deck 9. Deck 9, for Aqua, only has A2s. Deck 11 has the A1s.

I can see the advantage of Deck 11, you are in the back and nothing really around you.

I bring my camera everywhere. When I see something super important from my Aqua A1 deck 11 room it's only 1 deck up to the observation deck just above. This is great so I don't miss shots. Like this waterspout by the Pitons on St Lucia. I like A1 a lot.

14765826986_fe35d9533e_z.jpg

CaptDave

• 4 weeks later...
I so appreciate all your responses! Thanks so much. I have a little goofy thing about wanting to sail on Infinity, and it kind of weird, but I want to dine in the SS United States dining room. Why is that? I had my first birthday on the actual SS United States in July 1953. I so much want to see the artifacts, and some how connect with my past. Weird I guess, but I'm thinking it will be fun!

I also want to see the canal of course!:D

Thanks for this post. I knew nothing about the SS United States and now I can't wait to eat in that dining room. Did a little research just now, very interesting reading about that grand ocean liner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for this post. I knew nothing about the SS United States and now I can't wait to eat in that dining room. Did a little research just now, very interesting reading about that grand ocean liner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not many folks know the back story of this once great ocean liner. It is a very interesting bit of our nautical history. I believe, although I could be wrong, that the SS United States still holds the transatlantic record for the fastest crossing, Southhampton to New York. Hope you have a great cruise and a great meal!!

We are on the trip leaving Sept 18, 2015. We live in NYC so I wanted to get the long flight out of the way early and spent a few pre cruise days in SF. We are in A2 on deck 9. I like the shade from the overhang of deck 10. It is VERY hot down there and that helps keep the veranda cool. We love to sit out there so this a plus for us.

We are on the trip leaving Sept 18, 2015. We live in NYC so I wanted to get the long flight out of the way early and spent a few pre cruise days in SF. We are in A2 on deck 9. I like the shade from the overhang of deck 10. It is VERY hot down there and that helps keep the veranda cool. We love to sit out there so this a plus for us.

Deck 11 Aqua A1 for us.

We are only 1 deck away from the rear observation area, a quick run will get you there. Food & bar are just 1 deck below also.

I'm bringing all my pro camera gear so I want to ready for anything.

CaptDave

We did our first Panama Canal transit from SD to FLL aboard Infinity in a 1A side verandah cabin. While we watched a great deal of the transit from our balcony, we also wandered around to different decks throughout the day for different perspectives --- highly encouraged for a first time crossing.

I would also stay on for the full transit (esp if you end up going from FLL and not the other way around, ship's offer pax a chance to get off at Gatun Lake via ship excursions; as interesting as the excursions are, if you have read up on the history of the canal [The Path Between the Seas is a must]) going through the canal in its entirety is not to be passed up.

Our second trip was on a Princess ship; just a partial, but fun nonetheless, we watched most of that from a front-facing deck ... few people seem to know about those decks on Coral Princess, so we had it almost entirely to ourselves. Since it was a partial, we did get off the ship (only ship's excursions allowed) and did a Gatun Lake boat tour with a stop at the locks to see the lock operations from the landside. Coincidentally, we saw our own ship go through, and that was very interesting.

We are returning to the Panama Canal this year on a cruise that then continues down the west coast of South America ... coincidentaly on Infinity. This time we have one of those sought after aft cabins. We've stayed in those concierge cabins several times, and they are ideal as a base for a crossing. Except for a small section at the very front of the over-sized balcony that is open, it is mostly covered, which offers great protection from the sun (or rain) ... if you're booking far out, then I'd try to get one of these cabins for sure. An FV cabin on the aft side would be even better, but unless you're traveling with 4-5 people, they are not an option until a few months prior to the sailing when Celebrity releases them to everyone. We'll still wander around the ship, but most of our day will be on the balcony ... even breakfast and lunch ;-)