New Beach Shuttle service

cyntil8ing

No way I would loose 2 hours of my short and precious time in Bermuda on a line for a bus...

I agree. But what would you do on Sunday, then? Just hang out at the Dockyard poke around there? Would you take a taxi to the beach? There are no ferries to St. Georges, and the shops in Hamilton are closed on Sunday, our arrival day.

I agree. But what would you do on Sunday, then? Just hang out at the Dockyard poke around there? Would you take a taxi to the beach? There are no ferries to St. Georges, and the shops in Hamilton are closed on Sunday, our arrival day.

Well most do plan on beach on first day and Dockyard on last day, with whatever else on day 2...so, one could switch first and last day and stay at the Dockyard since everything is open there, and make day 3 a beach day...

But, I would find an other couple and share a taxi to the beach and split the cost...so the cost would be about 35$ round trip for 2 person...pretty close to the "new" service at 32$ for 2.

I can understand saying to "give it a chance" to an extent. Of course there is going to be confusion when something new is implemented.

However, why roll a new system out mid-tourist season, with very little explanation? As someone who has never been to Bermuda and is really looking forward to her family's cruise next week, the government has to understand that tourists like me are going to be upset if our vacation is eaten up by standing online for a few hours. We only have 2.5 days to spend in Bermuda. This system should have been implemented in May, or they should have delayed it until next May, with enough warning for everyone to understand the changes.

Just returned this morning on Grandeur OTS from Bermuda. Options for Horseshoe Bay Beach: 1) Taxi/minivan Taxi at $35 each way - but can be split among the group ; 2) Shared Shuttle for $15; 3) Ship excursion on private mini-bus to the beach ($33.75 RT pp) on Grandeur; 4) public bus (token $4 each way). The Taxi is most expensive - but readily available and will bring you directly to the beach entrance. There is a rush for taxis back to the dockyard at day's end so you might have to wait, The shared shuttle - less expensive option - but in high demand- especially if two ships in port (Grandeur and Dawn). There will likely be a line to get on each way. The ship excursion is not a bad price given the other options and will take you directly there and back worry free - but you will only have 3 hours on the beach. The bus is very inexpensive and they come every 30 mins. Good luck getting on - there will be a line at the bus stop. Friends of ours waited over two hours to return to the dockyard - so beware if you go to the beach on the last day of your port stay - and need to be back in time for departure. If you want to go to St Georges or Hamilton - the ferry system is awesome!

So now it looks like the "new" shuttle at 16$ replaces both the "special bus" and the 7$ pp per way shuttle also.

I know this 7$ shuttle never was an "official" means of transportation to HSB...but it was available.

So now we have : TAXI at 35$ per way for up to 4 passengers

PUBLIC BUS at 4$ pp per way

NEW SHUTTLE at 16$ pp round trip

SHIP EXCURSION at 29$ pp ( on the Dawn ) with 3 hours at HSB

I hope they fix that 2 hours wait for the buses fast....

So now it looks like the "new" shuttle at 16$ replaces both the "special bus" and the 7$ pp per way shuttle also.

I know this 7$ shuttle never was an "official" means of transportation to HSB...but it was available.

So now we have : TAXI at 35$ per way for up to 4 passengers

PUBLIC BUS at 4$ pp per way

NEW SHUTTLE at 16$ pp round trip

SHIP EXCURSION at 29$ pp ( on the Dawn ) with 3 hours at HSB

I hope they fix that 2 hours wait for the buses fast....

This is a good summary. I'm starting to think that people would be smarter to use the taxi if they have a group of four; a little more expensive than the shuttle, but you probably avoid lines. We have five people, though, and I thought I read that there was a surcharge on Sunday for taxis, which is the day that many of those on the Dawn would be the most impacted.

This is a good summary. I'm starting to think that people would be smarter to use the taxi if they have a group of four; a little more expensive than the shuttle, but you probably avoid lines. We have five people, though, and I thought I read that there was a surcharge on Sunday for taxis, which is the day that many of those on the Dawn would be the most impacted.

Yes there is a surcharge of 25% on Sunday and on holidays.

But since the Dawn is approx 2000 pax VS 4000 pax of the Breakaway, I would think the lines should be much shorter.

But since the Dawn is approx 2000 pax VS 4000 pax of the Breakaway, I would think the lines should be much shorter.

Does everybody on the Breakaway go to the beach the first day, though? The beach is one of the few things to do on a Sunday in Bermuda, since there are no ferries to St. Georges and the shops in Hamilton are closed. If I were on the Breakaway, I'd probably do something other than the beach the first day to avoid the rush, especially now.

Thanks for the summary, Sebas.

I thought I had it all figured out when we were in Bermuda, but now it seems we will have to rethink getting to HB next year.

Breakaway is there Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Beach will def not be 1st day. Maybe ferry to St. George and/or Hamilton or Swizzle Inn.

Got time to think on it.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

I hope they work out all the kinks of this system when we arrive on Explorere in October...Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread for updates. We are only in Bermuda 2 days not wanting to waste any time in line...

We were in Bermuda on the Breakaway during this bus issue. Wee took a ships excursion Day 1 which I initially wasn't happy about paying for but I just thought it would be easier. Were met so many fellow passengers upon our return who were more than ticked off at the 2+hour wait.

Day 3 we decided to get out early, took a cab at 8 am to Horseshoe at $32.50, had the beach almost to ourselves.

We had a wonderfully friendly driver and I would do the taxi again in a minute. We were there in less than 30 minutes and dropped off right at the beach entrance not at the road. I know when traveling with a family or a large group this may seem expensive but like another poster noted, for my time in Bermuda I'd rather be swimming or walking a beautiful beach than waiting for an unpredictable bus schedule..

As a party of 6 we were planning to spend $39 ($8 x 3 adults + $5 x 3 kids) to get back and forth to HS via the express/special/direct bus.

Not going to wait 2 hours for the #7 bus so now we're looking at $96 for the shuttle.

We'll probably still do it but I'm going to investigate some excursions.

Thanks.

$43.50 seems like a very specific approximation. :p

I'm sure it's calculated on the mileage between the points using the metered fare rates and typical traffic conditions. As the sign says, they're approximate metered fares.

Edited by njhorseman

We just did a taxi from Dockyard to Horseshoe last week. It was a Friday. Each way was 32.50. no traffic.

Both drivers btw were wonderful, careful drivers and very interesting to talk to about the island.

Thanks, I see that the one way rate to HS for 5-7 passengers is $43.50 plus tip.

So round trip for the 6 of us is pretty much the exact same as the new shuttle.

We just did a taxi from Dockyard to Horseshoe last week. It was a Friday. Each way was 32.50. no traffic.

Both drivers btw were wonderful, careful drivers and very interesting to talk to about the island.

The price being quoted by the poster was for 5-7 passengers in the taxi. Your fare was undoubtedly for 1-4 persons.