Alaska on Carnival?

ldarcy

We are considering taking the 8 day Carnival cruise to Alaska - it's the only itinerary I've found that includes both Tracy Arm Fjord AND Glacier Bay. I also like the extra day scenic cruising this one has over others... however I've been reading some disappointing reviews on Carnival's Alaska cruises. Those reviews are all from the Miracle, this cruise is on the Legend.

We've cruised Carnival before (3 times) and always enjoyed it, however I know that HAL and Princess are more highly recomnmended for Alaska. They are a bit higher end companies as well.

Can anyone give me some reassurance on the Carnival Cruise? Has anyone done this one or any Alaska cruise on the Legend? Should I switch my focus to Princess or HAL?

This is likely a once in a lifetime trip, I don't want to make the wrong decision!

Thank you!

Ldarcy

I just booked that cruise yesterday, the Aft balcony's were going very fast so I bit the bullet so to speak.

Like you this will be a once in a life time trip for us. It will make the 12th cruise on the Legend since Thanksgiving. I say 12th unless the price comes down for the last sail out of Tampa.

Great ship & I'm sure it will be fine. What the heck we can't all shop at Macy's now can we. Alaska is what you are there to see not the ship anyway. I say go for less & be able to spend more when we get there.

Char

Alaska is about the itinerary. Not sure but their cruise 5-18 is a superb itinerary. (I do hope they offer the add on Tracy Arm excursion). One thing Carnival does shin at is their LONG time naturalist- Michelle. I've sailed with her back in the 90's, and she is now even better.

I do freely admit, they are severely lacking this season with their current itineraries. the worse itinerary sailing Alaska. But next year's, on paper is an excellent one. :)

We were on the Oceania Regatta in Tracy Arm on July 10th. A Carnival ship (don't know the name) was trailing us in, passed us, and then stopped. It appeared the captain did not (or could not) proceed further. We sailed on in toward the glacier, saw some nice calving, swung around, and proceeded out. The Carnival ship was still sitting where we had passed it. I am not sure the reason it did not proceed, but the thought was that it was too large to get in and out comfortably.

The fjord is beautiful, but missing the glacier would be a shame.

We were on the Oceania Regatta in Tracy Arm on July 10th. A Carnival ship (don't know the name) was trailing us in, passed us, and then stopped. It appeared the captain did not (or could not) proceed further. We sailed on in toward the glacier, saw some nice calving, swung around, and proceeded out. The Carnival ship was still sitting where we had passed it. I am not sure the reason it did not proceed, but the thought was that it was too large to get in and out comfortably.

The fjord is beautiful, but missing the glacier would be a shame.

With Carnival, the ship stops at Sawyer Island, running 2 boat tours for the add on Tracy Arm, that I mention above. My only choice in Tracy Arm is the add on tours for the access I "demand" for my trips.

All cruises are good :D I have to admit it has been my least favorite line with our one cruise and the heavy fun/party push and the forgettable hairy man contest that was played over and over on the close circuit TV and gyrating waiters dancing in the dining room. That kind of fun I can do without...

But I wouldn't hesistate to book them for the stops you are showing. Glacier will be the highlight and having Tracy Arm as well is a win and win. IMHO tracy can't compare to Glacier, but a nice second scenic cruising. If they are offering the small add on excursion it is worthwhile doing. But if you are going early I wonder how open the fjord will be.

Have fun :rolleyes:

We are considering taking the 8 day Carnival cruise to Alaska - it's the only itinerary I've found that includes both Tracy Arm Fjord AND Glacier Bay. I also like the extra day scenic cruising this one has over others... however I've been reading some disappointing reviews on Carnival's Alaska cruises. Those reviews are all from the Miracle, this cruise is on the Legend.

We've cruised Carnival before (3 times) and always enjoyed it, however I know that HAL and Princess are more highly recomnmended for Alaska. They are a bit higher end companies as well.

Can anyone give me some reassurance on the Carnival Cruise? Has anyone done this one or any Alaska cruise on the Legend? Should I switch my focus to Princess or HAL?

This is likely a once in a lifetime trip, I don't want to make the wrong decision!

Thank you!

Ldarcy

All cruises are good :D I have to admit it has been my least favorite line with our one cruise and the heavy fun/party push and the forgettable hairy man contest that was played over and over on the close circuit TV and gyrating waiters dancing in the dining room. That kind of fun I can do without...

But I wouldn't hesistate to book them for the stops you are showing. Glacier will be the highlight and having Tracy Arm as well is a win and win. IMHO tracy can't compare to Glacier, but a nice second scenic cruising. If they are offering the small add on excursion it is worthwhile doing. But if you are going early I wonder how open the fjord will be.

Have fun :rolleyes:

I have taken Carnival 7 times in Alaska. Three times this year. Your activity comments are not true of Alaska sailings, and only done in the Caribbean.

I think the Alaskan cruises are an entirely different crowd than your Carribean crowd. The only reason I am trying NCL this cruise is because of the timing I could take off work. Their schedule fit my time off. I would not have hesitated to take Carnival if it had worked out better.