Is tipping included in your price?

cards10

I was told from several people that on NCL tipping is included in your price. I did not believe them. So, I am coming here for the answers.

Thanks

If you mean the price of your cruise, the answer is no.

A 15% gratuity is added to drinks & a service charge ($12.50? pp) is charged to your account daily but that's pretty much it. Not sure how they handle things at the spa.

I was told from several people that on NCL tipping is included in your price. I did not believe them. So, I am coming here for the answers.

Thanks

No the Daily Service Charge ($12 per day per person) (tips) is not included in the cruise basic price. A lot of people (myself included) choose to prepay the DSC as part of the cruise package.

We also normally pre-pay the $12.00 per day (per person) gratuity. That way when we get the final statement it's only for the things we purchased and no sticker shock. As far as the bar and spa go, we don't use them so we don't have to pay the automatic gratuities. :)

It is possible, if you have booked through a travel agency, that they have opted to prepay the $12pp per day Daily Service Charge (DSC).

You can also prepay it personally before the cruise.

Otherwise, it will be added to your on-board account and listed daily $12 for each person in the cabin.

Just remember that the $12 a day service charge is DISCRETIONARY

The Daily Service Charge may be discretionary for some people but IT IS NOT FOR ME. The staff work long hard hours, many miles from their families. I glad pay the fee and occasionally add more.

The Daily Service Charge may be discretionary for some people but IT IS NOT FOR ME. The staff work long hard hours, many miles from their families. I glad pay the fee and occasionally add more.

Thank you for your input. I was merely pointing out to the OP that the $12 a day service charge is discretionary. NCL are quite keen to point this out in their literature.

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programmes that your service charge supports.

Who pays the service charge?

All guests three years or older.

At what point in the booking process can the pre-paid charges be added?

They can be added at any time up to 24 hours before sailing.

Why would I pre-pay my service charge?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget before your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise is the service charge refundable?

Yes! The service charge is 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charge be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction programme designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board reception desk staff know right away, so that we can address it in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.*

*Where your service charge has been pre-paid before departure, refunds are not available on board and you must apply for a refund, if applicable, after your return home by writing to our Guest Relations department.

Edited by Ewoodspark

Neither tipping nor the service charge is included in the fare. The service charge is $12 per person per day and this covers the traditionally tipped and tipped out crew (steward, waitstaff, buffet staff etc.) and this is where most of their income comes from. The service charge is adjustable however NCL does ask if you have a service issue that you provide management the opportunity to fix the situation. If someone does provide exemplary service you may proffer a cash tip or add it to your onboard account. Some people believe that the service charge is discretionary as in it is optional, but as I said this is where most of the crew's income comes from so it clearly isn't optional.

Neither tipping nor the service charge is included in the fare. The service charge is $12 per person per day and this covers the traditionally tipped and tipped out crew (steward, waitstaff, buffet staff etc.) and this is where most of their income comes from. The service charge is adjustable however NCL does ask if you have a service issue that you provide management the opportunity to fix the situation. If someone does provide exemplary service you may proffer a cash tip or add it to your onboard account. Some people believe that the service charge is discretionary as in it is optional, but as I said this is where most of the crew's income comes from so it clearly isn't optional.

It is optional, and the tips may not be going where you think they are. I will be removing the discretionary service charge and tipping directly.

If the front desk gives me a hard time, I will just dispute the charge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

It is optional, and the tips may not be going where you think they are. I will be removing the discretionary service charge and tipping directly.

No, it isn't optional- they will let you remove them because they don't want to argue with a customer but nothing in their literature suggests that it's optional as in you may pay it or not. The expectation is that it will be paid, otherwise they wouldn't bother adding it to everyone's account. I personally don't care where it goes just as I don't care what happens to a tip that I leave in the restaurant, I have fulfilled my obligation. I am not arguing with you in an effort to try to convince you because I realize that I am not going to, I am merely providing a counter-point for those who are following this thread.

As someone said, if you booked with a travel agent your fare may include the DSC.

Thank God 99% + of cruisers do not find it necessary to dispute the DSC.

I have rode in airport shuttle with a few people who wear the fact that they got cuts in the DSC as badge of honor.

Edited by Va. Plumber

Thank you for your input. I was merely pointing out to the OP that the $12 a day service charge is discretionary. NCL are quite keen to point this out in their literature.

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programmes that your service charge supports.

Who pays the service charge?

All guests three years or older.

At what point in the booking process can the pre-paid charges be added?

They can be added at any time up to 24 hours before sailing.

Why would I pre-pay my service charge?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget before your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise is the service charge refundable?

Yes! The service charge is 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charge be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction programme designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board reception desk staff know right away, so that we can address it in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.*

*Where your service charge has been pre-paid before departure, refunds are not available on board and you must apply for a refund, if applicable, after your return home by writing to our Guest Relations department.

For somebody "quite keen" to point out how 'discretionary' something is, you'd think they'd actually employ that word, wouldn't you?

In fact, they call it 'fixed', and stress how important it is. Instead, it can be adjust IF you have a service problem AND if that problem can't be addressed.

Quite the opposite of discretionary, according to my dictionary.

You are one of only 3 people who appear to advocate for this. And, frankly, I'm becoming more convinced by the day, that you're actually all the same person.

You, Love My Butler, and Ewoodspark are the 3 advocates of not paying the Daily Service Charge which most people pay, because they realize that this is the basic compensation scheme for the crew.

Stephen

Edited by sjbdtz

I'm also having trouble finding where the word discretionary is in this which I copied from NCL's FAQ page:

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge? The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account. Are service charges across the board for all guests? All guests 3 years or older. How do I prepay my service charges? Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added. At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added? They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing. Why would I prepay my service charges? The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable? Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable. If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board? Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

I also looked on my reservation from NCL and don't see the word discretionary there either:

Service Charges:

Norwegian Cruise Line now offers you the ability to pre-pay your Onboard Service Charges of $12 per person per day for guests 3 years and older. Please contact your travel professional to add to your reservation. See our brochure or http://www.ncl.com for details.

Maybe it's there and I just need to see my ophthalmologist? :cool:

I'm also having trouble finding where the word discretionary is in this which I copied from NCL's FAQ page:

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge? The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account. Are service charges across the board for all guests? All guests 3 years or older. How do I prepay my service charges? Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added. At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added? They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing. Why would I prepay my service charges? The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable? Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable. If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board? Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

I also looked on my reservation from NCL and don't see the word discretionary there either:

Service Charges:

Norwegian Cruise Line now offers you the ability to pre-pay your Onboard Service Charges of $12 per person per day for guests 3 years and older. Please contact your travel professional to add to your reservation. See our brochure or http://www.ncl.com for details.

Maybe it's there and I just need to see my ophthalmologist? :cool:

Click in terms and conditions on their website. Its item 2 or 3. Guess they don't want to advertise it, as many would be appalled to where the thought the tips are actually going.

For somebody "quite keen" to point out how 'discretionary' something is, you'd think they'd actually employ that word, wouldn't you?

In fact, they call it 'fixed', and stress how important it is. Instead, it can be adjust IF you have a service problem AND if that problem can't be addressed.

Quite the opposite of discretionary, according to my dictionary.

You are one of only 3 people who appear to advocate for this. And, frankly, I'm becoming more convinced by the day, that you're actually all the same person.

You, Love My Butler, and Ewoodspark are the 3 advocates of not paying the Daily Service Charge which most people pay, because they realize that this is the basic compensation scheme for the crew.

Stephen

DSC = Discretionary Service Charge.

The passenger contract trumps any and all other literature according to ncl.

The DAILY service charge (DSC) covers a lot of staff. Many of them you might not even think about. (Laundry personnel, bakery personnel and others.)

The idea of arguing about it and having it removed from your final bill, or even adjusted down, is appalling to me.

The DAILY service charge (DSC) covers a lot of staff. Many of them you might not even think about. (Laundry personnel, bakery personnel and others.)

The idea of arguing about it and having it removed from your final bill, or even adjusted down, is appalling to me.

Wrong. Sorry.

Click in terms and conditions on their website. Its item 2 or 3. Guess they don't want to advertise it, as many would be appalled to where the thought the tips are actually going.

You must be referring to this:

Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is

intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier

is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

It does not say "discretionary service charge" it says "subject to adjustment at your discretion". My critical reading skills teacher would say that there is a difference between the two statements. Since it is distributed to employees based on the Carriers evaluation of job performance you have no say in how it gets distributed.

You must be referring to this:

Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is

intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier

is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

It does not say "discretionary service charge" it says "subject to adjustment at your discretion". My critical reading skills teacher would say that there is a difference between the two statements. Since it is distributed to employees based on the Carriers evaluation of job performance you have no say in how it gets distributed.

I will tip who I want and not let the carrier decide who gets my tips based on their evaluation.