Has Royal changed their dining policy?

Correct, however, if you want these same table or the same waiters, peak time - or other requirements it's better to make a reservation.

But if you ar ok with different tables every night and a bit of waiting time, you do not need a reservation.

Not necessarily true. We rarely, if ever, make reservations and in most cases we are still able to get the same wait staff every night. We have been on 14 night cruises and still got the same wait staff and never made one reservation. Just show up when we feel like it, usually anywhere between 7:30 and 8:30. we just tell them we want the same waiter. We have never waited more than 10 minutes to get where we wanted to be

I believe this would mean that you'd have the same menu every night.

Correct - if you stayed in the same dining room each night. Don't misunderstand me - I mentioned that only to say that you could do that. But in practicality you would most likely not as you would probably experience different themed venues each night.

Dynamic Dining will be a big change to the current early / late / MTD options by essentially making all dining on Quantum class expanded MTD. It will be interesting to see how it all works in practice.

We are booked on Oasis for January, 2016, post dry dock, and we are confirmed late seating in the main dining room, for all 3 sailings. I believe this waitlist/MTD problem occurs because too many people want early seating. I have never had a problem with our main dining room choice, and for those who prefer late seating, I'm guessing it is the same experience. If you have a TA, have them go to bat for you, that is what they are there for. :) If you booked direct, use your C&A status as an argument tool for getting your preference. (Waiting until you board may not get you what you want.)

Thanks, but I've got late seating for the October Allure TA, so no problems there unless Royal does opt to go with all/most My Time Dining later on. :D I was just curious if anyone else heard the possibility that there would be reduced traditional dining after the Oasis/Allure dry docks.

It didn't make sense to me as I agree the Dynamic Dining concept needs to be thoroughly tested before spreading it to other ships. I would have dismissed the comments if it was only one person who mentioned it, but a couple of others mentioned they were told the same thing by the Royal Vacation Planners.

We are booked on Oasis for January, 2016, post dry dock, and we are confirmed late seating in the main dining room, for all 3 sailings. I believe this waitlist/MTD problem occurs because too many people want early seating. I have never had a problem with our main dining room choice, and for those who prefer late seating, I'm guessing it is the same experience. If you have a TA, have them go to bat for you, that is what they are there for. :) If you booked direct, use your C&A status as an argument tool for getting your preference. (Waiting until you board may not get you what you want.)

If I read this correctly, many Australians were having their automatic gratuities removed from their Seapass account? I heard about this being done on our April Trans Pacific cruise from Sydney to Honolulu. If this is as common as you state, then Royal has adjusted their policies to align with the other cruise lines serving Australia. (As an unintended consequence, it may have made non removable automatic gratuities a sure thing for the rest of us.) If the employees are not receiving gratuities from guests that have them removed and then do not pay cash, that is a problem. Royal Caribbean keeps cruise prices lower and adds the gratuities, but I can foresee them being included in future, higher cruise prices.

The higher percentage of Australian grat removers may or may not be true but on my past few cruises out of U.S many first time cruisers I have spoken to seem to think daily grats are unnecessary and just a last night last day tip is sufficient! So rather than a Nation being labelled non cruise tippers it is more a New cruiser problem worldwide.

Frequent cruisers in Australia always understood the gratuity possess and most abided by it but with more affordable prices and advertising aimed at new cruisers far too many can opt out far too easily.

My next RCCL cruise was booked well over a year ahead and even Late MDR dinning was not available but ship was almost empty so my price included pre paids even though it had not yet been introduce with RCI Australian sailings.

I am sure I will get my Late MDR seating which I still want even though I have pre paid grats but this is how RCCL in my opinion will ensure most grats are paid even for U.S cruisers in the near future.

When Daily Auto grats charged to onboard account were first introduced by RCCL even many experienced U.S CC cruisers vowed to now choose traditional dinning so they could remove autograts on principal and pay in cash.

It is a simple system really and those that shun pre paid because it is so far in advance do not actually have to pay them until final payment because deposits remain the same only total price changes:)

Interesting is a good way to put it. I am happy to wait until the kinks are worked out before trying it. I think it will be complicated to bring Dynamic Dining to all ships, if it is even possible on the smaller classes. ;)
Hope that they do no bring Dynamic Dining to the other classes of ship. We really like late traditional with the same table, waiter and tablemates. The two times that we have done My Time, we have had the same, time, table and waitstaff.

It may be good for you, and that is fine....but you are missing two other reasons why it is NOT good for me....DH and I want to have the same people at our dinner table each night (unless someone books a specialty restaurant or heads to WJ for some reason) and we DON'T want to pay our gratuities MONTHS in advance of the cruise.

What is good for you, just doesn't work for us.

I have to agree with Paulette here. Not interested in MTD at all; nor are we interested in Dynamic Dining as it is featured on the Quantum ships. We like fixed, early seating, at a larger table. This way, we get to meet some interesting, and very nice people. Like Paulette for instance. We shared a table with Paulette and her DH on our last cruise, and it was awesome.

I won't say never, but at this time, I have no desire for MTD, nor Dynamic Dining. The way the system is now, I can avoid MTD on all of the current ships by selecting traditional, early seating dinner. On the Quantum, I can not avoid Dynamic Dining, so I will avoid the Quantum.

Edited by sleepless

I understand that half of the venues will remain as 'included in the cruise fare', but that they are dividing up the dining rooms into smaller venues each with a theme. A formal night theme will be available EVERY night for those that want that. So for the other themed venues, I have to make a reservation, since I likely will be in different venues each night I won't have the same wait staff, nor have the company of the same people. I can of course with each nights reservation, request a table for 8-10 (and hope for the best).

As someone else said, I will gladly wait for the kicks and complaints to be worked through.

Vacation should not take that much effort....then it would be too much like, WORK.

I share someone else's sentiment.....'Eat Dessert First, life is short"

That was me, thank you. :) I agree, it is becoming more complicated to rest and relax these days. :eek:

fishtaco, we have cruises booked well into 2016, in fact as far out as the schedules are open at the moment, and we have not had any trouble booking late seating, nor have gratuities been added to our booking. If this is happening to customers from other markets, then I would presume it is for a specific reason.

Edited by travelgoddess1

Good idea to refuse it MTD....we just booked on IOS and were told that only MTD was available, so we are wait listed on early dining; therefore gratuities were added immediately which means we can't use our OBCs to pay for them. Since we don't drink and do our own excursions at ports we don't have a large bill at the end of the week and have always used our OBCs to offset the gratuities.

It's all about how can they get more money from you.

Good idea to refuse it MTD....we just booked on IOS and were told that only MTD was available, so we are wait listed on early dining; therefore gratuities were added immediately which means we can't use our OBCs to pay for them. Since we don't drink and do our own excursions at ports we don't have a large bill at the end of the week and have always used our OBCs to offset the gratuities.

Remember to remove prepaid gratuities if you clear the waitlist. That won't happen automatically.

I respectfully disagree. It may seem like that, but knowing how to tiptoe through the minefields of travel can lessen the stress.

That was me, thank you. :) I agree, it is becoming more complicated to rest and relax these days. :eek:

fishtaco, we have cruises booked well into 2016, in fact as far out as the schedules are open at the moment, and we have not had any trouble booking late seating, nor have gratuities been added to our booking. If this is happening to customers from other markets, then I would presume it is for a specific reason.

The trouble seems to be getting Early Dinner Seating. When we booked we were told by the LA that either Late Seating or MTD was only available. They were clearly pushing us towards MTD....and I said no....but us in Late seating and waitlist us.

Then I sent an email to rcldining@rccl.com. I explained what I wanted. I gave them my Reservation # and C&A # (which they did not need from me, because it is on my reservation). Later that day, it was changed and we are now confirmed for Early Dinner Seating.

The trouble seems to be getting Early Dinner Seating. When we booked we were told by the LA that either Late Seating or MTD was only available. They were clearly pushing us towards MTD....and I said no....but us in Late seating and waitlist us.

Then I sent an email to rcldining@rccl.com. I explained what I wanted. I gave them my Reservation # and C&A # (which they did not need from me, because it is on my reservation). Later that day, it was changed and we are now confirmed for Early Dinner Seating.

As I posted earlier, early seating on cruises that originate in Florida is hot.

As I posted earlier, early seating on cruises that originate in Florida is hot.

And you are making that assertion based on what biased view?

Just to be clear, when I was booking this cruise it was more than 6 months prior to sailing and well more than half of the cabins were available to choose from.

I respectfully disagree. It may seem like that, but knowing how to tiptoe through the minefields of travel can lessen the stress.

You should not have to 'know how to tiptoe through the minefields of travel' to choose a dining option you want for your cruise to 'lessen the stress'.....vacations should be stress and 'hassle free' -- especially when booking them.

You should not have to 'know how to tiptoe through the minefields of travel' to choose a dining option you want for your cruise to 'lessen the stress'.....vacations should be stress and 'hassle free' -- especially when booking them.

I agree. It seems like they only release portions of the dining room for booking at any one time. Maybe so TAs have a supply? I don't know. But the last few cruises I have booked, early dining has been unavailable. For most of these cruises, I went on the waitlist, and I did get it, but I don't see how it was unavailable so early in the booking process.

I also dislike having to book each night for Dynamic Dining. The dining hour is very important to me as it is our time to get together as a family on our cruises. When they cut costs on the food, and make it difficult to book, it really aggravates me. They are diminishing what is, for me, a very important part of the cruise experience.

And I'm sick of people saying that you have to expect disappointment, things going wrong, unforeseen problems, etc, when you travel. We are booking a one week cruise, we aren't going backpacking in Burma.

I agree, you should not have stress and hassle, but I am speaking of the the reality. I shouldn't have to pay extra to check my bag with the airline, or to have an aisle seat, either. And I should be able to check into a hotel before 4pm if there is a room available, and not have to pay extra for WIFI.

I suspect that RCI is holding back early seating assignments until closer to sail date.

Edited by travelgoddess1

I agree. It seems like they only release portions of the dining room for booking at any one time. Maybe so TAs have a supply? I don't know. But the last few cruises I have booked, early dining has been unavailable. For most of these cruises, I went on the waitlist, and I did get it, but I don't see how it was unavailable so early in the booking process.

I also dislike having to book each night for Dynamic Dining. The dining hour is very important to me as it is our time to get together as a family on our cruises. When they cut costs on the food, and make it difficult to book, it really aggravates me. They are diminishing what is, for me, a very important part of the cruise experience.

And I'm sick of people saying that you have to expect disappointment, things going wrong, unforeseen problems, etc, when you travel. We are booking a one week cruise, we aren't going backpacking in Burma.

Then please don't read my post. :rolleyes:

Then please don't read my post. :rolleyes:

Lots of people post it, not just you.

Booking dining on a cruise ship shouldn't have to be considered 'navigating a minefield', as you put it. So put down your pom poms.

And I agree with the post about wanting to get more money upfront from MTD: they don't make you pay gratuities upfront for Dynamic Dining; there's no reason to continue to require advance payment for MTD. Except that they want your money sooner.

Lots of people post it, not just you.

Booking dining on a cruise ship shouldn't have to be considered 'navigating a minefield', as you put it. So put down your pom poms.

And I agree with the post about wanting to get more money upfront from MTD: they don't make you pay gratuities upfront for Dynamic Dining; there's no reason to continue to require advance payment for MTD. Except that they want your money sooner.

Too early in the morning for the attitude. I am expressing my opinion, just as you are. I am not interested in making it personal.

I agree, you should not have stress and hassle, but I am speaking of the the reality. I shouldn't have to pay extra to check my bag with the airline, or to have an aisle seat, either. And I should be able to check into a hotel before 4pm if there is a room available, and not have to pay extra for WIFI.

I suspect that RCI is holding back early seating assignments until closer to sail date.

On some things you mention I will agree, you should not have to pay extra to check your bag with the airline or to have an aisle seat or WIFI.. But they don't aggravate you to get it....from the get go the traveler knows, if you want it 'just pay for it' -- without stress or aggravation about it. Yes, you should be able to check into a hotel before 4pm (I always have, without extra payment, so I don't know where you are staying -- and I stay in 4 and 5 star hotels when travelling).

I fully know how to navigate around the issue that I was presented with....and I reached out to someone in a department at Royal corporate headquarters who could 'fix my issue' and did....but they would have been doing other things, if my request had been taken care of at the time of booking.

I love when you say: "And I'm sick of people saying that you have to expect disappointment, things going wrong, unforeseen problems, etc, when you travel. We are booking a one week cruise, we aren't going backpacking in Burma." So, So true.

My expectations are high, and gee 98% of the time, they are achieved; should something unexpected happen, I deal with it, with a smile and positive attitude. BTW, you won't catch me backpacking anywhere -- not Burma, not ????? (fill in the place).

While respectfully understanding the reasons behind other people enjoying traditional dining I have a different perspective.

I look forward very much to the option of dynamic dinning. I have obviously not experienced it yet but in general like the concept. We enjoy doing things a little off the cuff and it gives us options. The booking process was easy but we only booked for the first three nights on each of our Quantum legs. I believe it will be quite simple to change or book day to day once on board but conversely it is also possible that there will be immense teething problems making it a lengthy wait or it may even not be possible to get the restaurant of choice. on any given day.

As far as meeting people by dining with them I agree somewhat that this is great BUT I have met many more people that we hit off with while playing trivia, shooting hoops, in the bar, at the meet and greet, on pre arranged excursions, eating in the buffet etc. I now have the opportunity to invite them to share dinner with us (or to be invited by others) or to dine privately if we feel inclined. Previously one had to visit a specialty restaurant to do this unless the other parties were on MTD.

I always leave my gratuities in place. Coming from a non tipping culture we love the concept of someone deciding what is fair taking the stress that is associated with the whole concept of tipping. The big issue with MTD and prepaid is exactly what others have said. You can't use OBC to pay for them. This is inherently unfair IMO. If the OBC could be used to pay them and the pre paid money refunded I have no issue with when I pay them.

Interestingly though gratuities for dynamic dining don't have to be pre paid.

While respectfully understanding the reasons behind other people enjoying traditional dining I have a different perspective.

I look forward very much to the option of dynamic dinning. I have obviously not experienced it yet but in general like the concept. We enjoy doing things a little off the cuff and it gives us options. The booking process was easy but we only booked for the first three nights on each of our Quantum legs. I believe it will be quite simple to change or book day to day once on board but conversely it is also possible that there will be immense teething problems making it a lengthy wait or it may even not be possible to get the restaurant of choice. on any given day.

As far as meeting people by dining with them I agree somewhat that this is great BUT I have met many more people that we hit off with while playing trivia, shooting hoops, in the bar, at the meet and greet, on pre arranged excursions, eating in the buffet etc. I now have the opportunity to invite them to share dinner with us (or to be invited by others) or to dine privately if we feel inclined. Previously one had to visit a specialty restaurant to do this unless the other parties were on MTD.

I always leave my gratuities in place. Coming from a non tipping culture we love the concept of someone deciding what is fair taking the stress that is associated with the whole concept of tipping. The big issue with MTD and prepaid is exactly what others have said. You can't use OBC to pay for them. This is inherently unfair IMO. If the OBC could be used to pay them and the pre paid money refunded I have no issue with when I pay them.

Interestingly though gratuities for dynamic dining don't have to be pre paid.

I appreciate your well thought out POV about the Dynamic Dining program that will be on Quantum, and for those it works for -- that is great.

It is odd to me that for 'pre-arranged' Dynamic Dining the gratuities are not required to be prepaid. There is a double standard in place, since if you choose MTD you do have to pre-pay them.

I am not sure what non tipping culture you come from.....but having grown up in a tipping culture their is no more stress on me when I have to tip or what that tip should be. I don't like others determining what the tip should be for the services I receive, however, in tipping environments.

I agree with you on the double standards for the dynamic V pre paid. That was one of my points.

By the way I am Australian. Surely you understand that tipping is not customary in most places outside of the USA.

This again is my perspective and not a criticism of others.

I find it stressful because it is something I have to think about while enjoying whatever I am doing. I don't like wasting money while on the other hand I also understand that people need tips to supplement their wages because they are underpaid at their base wage. So I am always treading that line between cost and fairness. It just doesn't sit right with me that I have to make this decision rather that a collective one that is made between employees and their employer.

In Australia I look at the cost of something and that is it. No decisions to make. Service is provided and how well that service is provided along with the quality of the product helps me to decide if I will return or not. Managements job to deal with staff performance not mine. With auto grats people who know better and the staff who get paid have come to agreement on what is fair. Just like at home. I know the cost of my trip and don't have to think about what to do or carry small notes around with me.

Edited by woodyren

I agree with you on the double standards for the dynamic V pre paid. That was one of my points.

By the way I am Australian. Surely you understand that tipping is not customary in most places outside of the USA.

This again is my perspective and not a criticism of others.

I find it stressful because it is something I have to think about while enjoying whatever I am doing. I don't like wasting money while on the other hand I also understand that people need tips to supplement their wages because they are underpaid at their base wage. So I am always treading that line between cost and fairness. It just doesn't sit right with me that I have to make this decision rather that a collective one that is made between employees and their employer.

In Australia I look at the cost of something and that is it. No decisions to make. Service is provided and how well that service is provided along with the quality of the product helps me to decide if I will return or not. Managements job to deal with staff performance not mine. With auto grats people who know better and the staff who get paid have come to agreement on what is fair. Just like at home. I know the cost of my trip and don't have to think about what to do or carry small notes around with me.

I have never really realized just how many cultures are different on the 'tipping issue' from ours. Obviously when we travel to other countries, we tip for services we would tip on here in the USA.

It was interesting to hear your point of view of the double standard on tipping, since you come from a different cultural background.