Has Royal changed their dining policy?

We have found that one advantage to having a scheduled time is that you can request the same table and wait staff. Have never been disappointed!

A disadvantage to just showing up is that there is usually quite a line waiting when we are seated between 5:45 and 7:30. We usually have seating times within this window.

we like having the same time and table for dining.

Us as well. MTD does not interest us at all.

But you can still have the same table, same wait staff and even, if it is your wish, the same dining time with MTD. That is what we do and why we have become strong advocates of MTD where we formerly thought traditional dining was best.

But you can still have the same table, same wait staff and even, if it is your wish, the same dining time with MTD. That is what we do and why we have become strong advocates of MTD where we formerly thought traditional dining was best.

Why would I want to go through the trouble of having to tell them to sit me at the same table, with the same wait staff and HOPEFULLY the same fellow cruisers (I like that, by the way; I know some people don't) when all I need to do is pick 'Early Seating'.

I also won't have to prepay my gratuities months in advance, when I notify them I want MTD. I have no problem with my SeaPass card being hit daily for the tips (and we very often add a significant amount to the tips and hand that to the staff) while I am on board ship -- I just see NO reason to prepay tips months in advance of the cruise.

OP

Try emailing dining at rcldining@rccl.com to get your early dining locked up now. On our last cruise early dining was not available when we booked 10 months out. I emailed them with my Name, Address, Cruise Date, Reservation Number and a within 2 weeks early dining showed up on our reservation.

I would put all 8 cruise in the same email.

Why would I want to go through the trouble of having to tell them to sit me at the same table, with the same wait staff and HOPEFULLY the same fellow cruisers (I like that, by the way; I know some people don't) when all I need to do is pick 'Early Seating'.

I also won't have to prepay my gratuities months in advance, when I notify them I want MTD. I have no problem with my SeaPass card being hit daily for the tips (and we very often add a significant amount to the tips and hand that to the staff) while I am on board ship -- I just see NO reason to prepay tips months in advance of the cruise.

Found that it is a lot of work and stress (checking up on reservations, talking to m'aitre d', getting assistance from Concierge etc.) to have My Time Dining for same table, time and waitstaff. We do it to accommodate folks who do not late seating but who will eat a little later than early seating. Much easier to book late seating.

On our most recent cruise, we booked a future cruise for February 2015 on Independence. The Loyalty Advisor, advised us that since we wanted early seating we had to be wait listed for it. He could put us in MTD (which we don't want) or give the Late Seating and once a spot opens from the wait list be moved.

We took going on the wait list for early seating, but was not happy. Glad to hear that you always cleared the waitlist and got the seating you wanted as the cruise approached.

This strategy of trying to maneuver people into MTD, to collect the tips at the time of booking is not nice. That is how I felt and told the LA so.

It is a Manoeuvre or should I say Ploy;)

Even if you book a cruise very early out seating is in many cases "Wait listed" for both early and late MDR times which cannot be possible.

Early dinning has been popular for years but never Late dinning as is also now the case.

As more people book your Q&A defined or requested preference will be applied but your Grats will already have been "Pre Paid" at booking. You can call and have them removed if you are re assigned MDR seating but what would be your excuse for removing them at that stage?

Make sure you have your dinning preference listed in your C&A.

They learned this trick from RCCL Australia the "training ground" and its here to stay!

Those that have remove daily Auto grats in the past in favour of cash tipping will eventually be flagged for MTD only at booking stage to ensure Grats as defined in T&C,s are met;)

Next step will be Pre Paid grats for everyone regardless of dinning preference. This has now been introduced to RCCL Australia bookings.

Personally I agree with it because it gives a level playing field re grats with everyone paying the same amount:)

Edited by fishtaco

Even if you book a cruise very early out seating is in many cases "Wait listed" for both early and late MDR times which cannot be possible.

Early dinning has been popular for years but never Late dinning as is also now the case.

As more people book your Q&A defined or requested preference will be applied but your Grats will already have been "Pre Paid" at booking. You can call and have them removed if you are re assigned MDR seating but what would be your excuse for removing them at that stage?

They learned this trick from RCCL Australia the "training ground" and its here to stay!

Those that have remove daily Auto grats in the past in favour of cash tipping will eventually be flagged for MTD only at booking stage to ensure Grats as defined in T&C,s are met;)

Next step will be Pre Paid grats for everyone regardless of dinning preference. This has now been introduced to RCCL Australia bookings.

Personally I agree with it because it gives a level playing field re grats with everyone paying the same amount:)

I spoke with a very nice gentleman in Guest Relations yesterday in the Miami corporate office and within a few hours had my 'Wait List situation for Early Dining' changed to a confirmation for Early Dinner Seating on my upcoming Indy cruise in Feb 2015.

I believe it is unfair to prepay months in advance for gratuities....I believe 'it should not be a level playing field' (as you refer to it as) for services that are going to be subjective and personal. If cruise lines in general wants to do that....then just 'Raise the price of the cruise and say "ALL GRATUITIES ARE INCLUDED". As you see I have written that in big bold letters....because that is how people will know not to need to ADD gratuities later. The staff with hate that, since they will lose money.

Has anyone heard that the Oasis (and I assume the same will be true for the Allure) will be moving toward a Dynamic Dining format with reduced set dining after their dry docks? I read this on a Royal Facebook group page and several people were being told that the ships would be mostly my time dining by Royal when they were booking cruises for post Oasis dry dock. I don't know if this is just a rumour being started by Royal's Call Centre booking staff or if this is reality. If it is true I find it strange that Royal would go ahead with this dining concept on the Oasis before Quantum is even delivered. I would think that Dynamic Dining (or a similar concept) would need to be thoroughly tested by Quantum and Anthem before going to other ships.

Any thoughts?

I believe this may just be a rumor as during the webcast with Adam Goldstein this past spring he confirmed what you suggest that the program would be thoroughly tested on Quantum class ships first before any rollout - if indeed decided - to other ships would commence, and that would likely be with new build ships first. He indicated that part of the issue would be with retrofitting many of the existing ships' current single dining facilities and with adding additional venues.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We like the idea of the late seating and with Port days gives us more time to get organized from our time off ship.

That is great for you; for us rarely do we arrive back on the ship very late even on Port Days. We enjoy getting back mid afternoon, when plenty of people are still off the ship to enjoy a little less crowd on the pool deck and in the hot tubs.

If we have a long excursion, and it truly impacts our arrival for early seating by more than 10-15 minutes, there are other areas on the ship where we can enjoy dinner. I have to say, this has only happened once in 15 cruises that we have taken on Royal.

If I want early seating, I want early confirmed seating.

Us as well. MTD does not interest us at all.

But you can have that with MTD. I like MTD. Plus I don't have to eat at either the early or late time, I can eat when I want at the same table with the same wait staff. I just don't see how it is a negative.

jc

On our most recent cruise, we booked a future cruise for February 2015 on Independence. The Loyalty Advisor, advised us that since we wanted early seating we had to be wait listed for it. He could put us in MTD (which we don't want) or give the Late Seating and once a spot opens from the wait list be moved.

We took going on the wait list for early seating, but was not happy. Glad to hear that you always cleared the waitlist and got the seating you wanted as the cruise approached.

This strategy of trying to maneuver people into MTD, to collect the tips at the time of booking is not nice. That is how I felt and told the LA so.

We've never felt this to be a "strategy" to get prepaid tips - which by the way are not collected at the time of booking but are charged with final payment.

And certainly to each their own but as we agree with the amounts suggested (and usually add more on board) we don't mind the MTD policy of paying them with final payment as it is one less on board expense we will have.

Perhaps we have been fortunate, but we have also always been able to get the dining time we wanted and always in advance of the sailing date, even on the ocassions when we were wait listed. I'm sure you will as well.

But you can have that with MTD. I like MTD. Plus I don't have to eat at either the early or late time, I can eat when I want at the same table with the same wait staff. I just don't see how it is a negative.

jc

It may be good for you, and that is fine....but you are missing two other reasons why it is NOT good for me....DH and I want to have the same people at our dinner table each night (unless someone books a specialty restaurant or heads to WJ for some reason) and we DON'T want to pay our gratuities MONTHS in advance of the cruise.

What is good for you, just doesn't work for us.

I believe this may just be a rumor as during the webcast with Adam Goldstein this past spring he confirmed what you suggest that the program would be thoroughly tested on Quantum class ships first before any rollout - if indeed decided - to other ships would commence, and that would likely be with new build ships first. He indicated that part of the issue would be with retrofitting many of the existing ships' current single dining facilities and with adding additional venues.

I guess we'll find out for sure when they announce what will be happening during the Oasis dry dock. But I thought it was interesting that a couple of people were told that the option for traditional dining would be reduced by Royal's Vacation Planners as a result of the Oasis dry dock. Out of curiosity I did check the Allure TA that I have booked for next October and did a mock booking and the only option was My Time Dining and there was no option to be waitlisted for either early or late seating.

I spoke with a very nice gentleman in Guest Relations yesterday in the Miami corporate office and within a few hours had my 'Wait List situation for Early Dining' changed to a confirmation for Early Dinner Seating on my upcoming Indy cruise in Feb 2015.

I believe it is unfair to prepay months in advance for gratuities....I believe 'it should not be a level playing field' (as you refer to it as) for services that are going to be subjective and personal. If cruise lines in general wants to do that....then just 'Raise the price of the cruise and say "ALL GRATUITIES ARE INCLUDED". As you see I have written that in big bold letters....because that is how people will know not to need to ADD gratuities later. The staff with hate that, since they will lose money.

"ALL GRATUITIES ARE INCLUDED IN THE PRICE" as you say above is exactly what RCCL Carnival Princess and P&O have done in Australia so as you can see it is a "Level Playing Field" here with everyone paying grats up front regardless of Dinning preference and nobody needs to pay anything extra and nobody can pay anything less.

RCCL Australia was the last one to do this but I will say its far better with the booking price shown including all taxes and grats.

I cant see RCCL USA including taxes or grats in the advertised price as initial cost will seem higher and perhaps not such a good deal to the new cruiser but i do believe that eventually your grats will have to be pre paid for everyone at booking like RCCL Australia and remember RCCL Australia is the exact same ship fleet as RCCL USA.:)

I guess we'll find out for sure when they announce what will be happening during the Oasis dry dock. But I thought it was interesting that a couple of people were told that the option for traditional dining would be reduced by Royal's Vacation Planners as a result of the Oasis dry dock. Out of curiosity I did check the Allure TA that I have booked for next October and did a mock booking and the only option was My Time Dining and there was no option to be waitlisted for either early or late seating.

Yeah - time will tell. I guess it would be feasible to convert the Oasis class ships as they already have several specialty restaurants on board and each dining floor of the MDR could potentially be designated as a single venue. But Quantum class ships are being introduced with 18 total eating venues (about 50/50 surcharge v no charge) with four smaller venues replacing the current single MDR concept. Maybe Oasis III will be designed similarly, which would be more in line with AG's indication of rolling out to new builds first.

Per his webcast - aside from indicating that Dynamic Dining needed to be tested with Quantum class first - existing ship dining configuration would be a challenge to reconfigure. And if his stated plans are fact, Quantum not yet being launched would mean a couple years out anyway for other ships to follow conversion. But anything is possible.

Has anyone heard that the Oasis (and I assume the same will be true for the Allure) will be moving toward a Dynamic Dining format with reduced set dining after their dry docks? I read this on a Royal Facebook group page and several people were being told that the ships would be mostly my time dining by Royal when they were booking cruises for post Oasis dry dock. I don't know if this is just a rumour being started by Royal's Call Centre booking staff or if this is reality. If it is true I find it strange that Royal would go ahead with this dining concept on the Oasis before Quantum is even delivered. I would think that Dynamic Dining (or a similar concept) would need to be thoroughly tested by Quantum and Anthem before going to other ships.

Any thoughts?

We are booked on Oasis for January, 2016, post dry dock, and we are confirmed late seating in the main dining room, for all 3 sailings. I believe this waitlist/MTD problem occurs because too many people want early seating. I have never had a problem with our main dining room choice, and for those who prefer late seating, I'm guessing it is the same experience. If you have a TA, have them go to bat for you, that is what they are there for. :) If you booked direct, use your C&A status as an argument tool for getting your preference. (Waiting until you board may not get you what you want.)

If I read this correctly, many Australians were having their automatic gratuities removed from their Seapass account? I heard about this being done on our April Trans Pacific cruise from Sydney to Honolulu. If this is as common as you state, then Royal has adjusted their policies to align with the other cruise lines serving Australia. (As an unintended consequence, it may have made non removable automatic gratuities a sure thing for the rest of us.) If the employees are not receiving gratuities from guests that have them removed and then do not pay cash, that is a problem. Royal Caribbean keeps cruise prices lower and adds the gratuities, but I can foresee them being included in future, higher cruise prices.

Edited by travelgoddess1

Personally I hope they keep the concept of a dining room, for those that want it. The Specialty restaurants serve a particular type of cruiser and that is fine. Cruise lines have made extra revenue from them, and that is fine as well. WE have dined at Izumi, just like we would go to a Japanese restaurant at home....so it was just fine.

I don't want to have to predetermine where I want to eat dinner, and that is what Quantum sounds like it will be. It doesn't matter to me, that several of the options are included in the cruise price, I have to make reservations for them on the specific night I want to use them.....Phooey.

Personally I hope they keep the concept of a dining room, for those that want it. The Specialty restaurants serve a particular type of cruiser and that is fine. Cruise lines have made extra revenue from them, and that is fine as well. WE have dined at Izumi, just like we would go to a Japanese restaurant at home....so it was just fine.

I don't want to have to predetermine where I want to eat dinner, and that is what Quantum sounds like it will be. It doesn't matter to me, that several of the options are included in the cruise price, I have to make reservations for them on the specific night I want to use them.....Phooey.

Quantum is not removing the dining room per se, just dividing it into four smaller themed venues for variety. (one of which remains formal every night). They - along a total of half of all the venues - remain at no charge.

But you are correct that what is changing with Dynamic Dining is the fixed early / late seating concept, which will no longer be an option with Quantum class. But you can still request the same times, same table and wait staff, and table mates if desired - it just will have to be set up via a reservation.

Clearly this may not be for everyone and IMO it is not likely to be replaced on every ship per the information from AG's webcast. Check the pdf link I posted on my response #6 in case you missed it for more detailed information on Dynamic Dining if you're interested. It certainly will be interesting to see how this all works out!

Quantum is not removing the dining room per se, just dividing it into four smaller themed venues for variety. (one of which remains formal every night). They - along a total of half of all the venues - remain at no charge.

But you are correct that what is changing with Dynamic Dining is the fixed early / late seating concept, which will no longer be an option with Quantum class. But you can still request the same times, same table and wait staff, and table mates if desired - it just will have to be set up via a reservation.

Clearly this may not be for everyone and IMO it is not likely to be replaced on every ship per the information from AG's webcast. Check the pdf link I posted on my response #6 in case you missed it for more detailed information on Dynamic Dining if you're interested. It certainly will be interesting to see how this all works out!

Interesting is a good way to put it. I am happy to wait until the kinks are worked out before trying it. I think it will be complicated to bring Dynamic Dining to all ships, if it is even possible on the smaller classes. ;)

I understand that half of the venues will remain as 'included in the cruise fare', but that they are dividing up the dining rooms into smaller venues each with a theme. A formal night theme will be available EVERY night for those that want that. So for the other themed venues, I have to make a reservation, since I likely will be in different venues each night I won't have the same wait staff, nor have the company of the same people. I can of course with each nights reservation, request a table for 8-10 (and hope for the best).

As someone else said, I will gladly wait for the kicks and complaints to be worked through.

Vacation should not take that much effort....then it would be too much like, WORK.

I share someone else's sentiment.....'Eat Dessert First, life is short"

I believe this would mean that you'd have the same menu every night.

Edited by time4u2go

I believe this would mean that you'd have the same menu every night.

Sure I could and NOT take advantage of the various venues....or to have various themes, I have to go to different venues, and have a different a different wait staff and probably different dinner companions each night.

Time will tell....it isn't happening for awhile, so I am just not getting concerned about it.