first time

jaxw17

We have cruised with a broad spectrum of other lines but the first time with O.

WE have booked the Istanbul to Athens cruise on the 22nd September.

In with the booking we have got the premium drinks package. We are wine drinkers and the wine is by the glass I believe. If we bring some on board for the cabin do we have to pay corkage on it if we drink it in there.

Any advice for us on anything that differs on here than other cruise lines would be welcome. Thanks

In with the booking we have got the premium drinks package. We are wine drinkers and the wine is by the glass I believe. If we bring some on board for the cabin do we have to pay corkage on it if we drink it in there.

Any advice for us on anything that differs on here than other cruise lines would be welcome. Thanks

There is no corkage fee unless you bring outside wine into one of the Restaurants, at which point it is $25 per bottle.

Enjoy your cruise, you are in for a treat! :D

If you bring it out of your cabin to a rest. Ect you pay the corkage. If you drink it in your room there is no charge.

This may give the impression that bringing outside wine directly into one of the bars or lounges is permissible, which it is not.

Outside wine may only be consumed in those areas of the ship after being uncorked in a Restaurant.

As part of the Corkage Service, unfinished bottles will be stored on the passengers behalf, and may afterward be called for in any of the public spaces.

I have to disagree from my owne experience. I took a bottle of wine to a bar, paid the corkage fee, had it opened and we all endulged in it. Maybe it depends on the bar tender!!

Explain the rules to fifty employees, and twenty of them will understand that the Corkage fee's are a method of keeping the ships' upscale, and thirty will only hear the word FEE and think money.

Add to that Oceania's dislike of saying no to any guest, and you'll see how difficult it is to be definitive about anything.

Hi there, usually no problem bringing wine onboard for cabin consumption. You won't need more than what's in the PDP for restaurants, bars etc. The standard of wine by the glass is very drinkable, in fact very good.

We too are on this cruise, you'll have a fabulous time on O. :)

Glenda and Tony

Jim & Stan-- Hope you are feeling better, and thanks again for the "right-on" reply. You have a real talent for answering questions and providing insight before they are asked. I was just wondering what abut corkage in the ship lounges, when up popped your reply. In all seriousness, you should really publish your advice to cruisers--I'd buy it!

Besides wine, spirits and beer are also allowed in your room. We purchased a few bottles of spirits for in room consumption before boarding for a pre-dinner tipple or two while getting ready for the evenings. Here's (another) example of why we love O. We met our room stewardess (who was great) when she did her rounds to meet everyone soon after rooms were all ready (about 2pm for our B3 on Marina). She asked us if we had any special requests. We simply said "we would like the mini fridge stocked with Diet Coke and Tonic Water." Also fresh ice at 4pm if possible.

From that day on for the duration of our cruise, our fridge was topped off with tonic and diet coke (she actually removed some items to make more room and placed them to the side of the fridge). And at 4pm like clockwork, two buckets of fresh ice were delivered. I don't know how much she thought we were drinking in our room, but either way it was a really nice touch. :D

Edited by corpkid

Corpkid,

Were you allowed to bring the "spirits" on during embarkation? I knew you could bring on wine. If not where did you buy your supply to keep in the room? My husband also likes to have "1" while we get ready for dinner.

Thanks,

Diane

You can bring your spirits on at embarkation or in a port stop for use in your cabin

Just put it in your carry-on

Lyn

They really don't seem to mind at all! One of the many reason why O is such a much more enjoyable experience. Oh, and if you like coffee in any way, make sure you make your way up to Baristas! Wonderful coffee and finger foods. I get a cup, snack, and head over to the comfy seats in the well-stocked library and do some reading. It's very nice and relaxing. Probably my favorite part of the ship. :) This applies to the Marina and Riviera (not sure if they installed them on the smaller ships yet).

6 1/2 months till we're back on wonderful Marina! :)

You are going to love it. Enjoy yourself and let us know what you thought.

I'm confused! If you have a premium drinks package why bring your own - drink theirs!! You can have it delivered to your room within bar hours at no cost and they do have some very nice wines. Just leave your card on the edge of your table in the dining room so they can see you have a package and you'll never have an empty glass.

We did our first Oceania cruise in june on the Nautica (with a premium drinks package) and we absolutely loved everything about it. It somehow just feels a cut above the rest and just special. . We're about to book another for next year as we loved it so much.

This applies to the Marina and Riviera (not sure if they installed them on the smaller ships yet).

Barritas were added to R ships when they were in drydock in the spring

Located on deck 5 ...just bring your book with you as it is not near the library ;)

Many of us feel that Baristas on the R ships is much better than on the O ships. There is a spacious area with comfy upholstered furniture. You can sit right there at a table or on a sofa or club chair with your latte and read or chat with friends. On the O ships you are relegated to a counter and have to go elsewhere for a comfortable seat. There was a group of regulars on my recent Nautica cruise who loved our new hangout.

I'm confused! If you have a premium drinks package why bring your own - drink theirs!! You can have it delivered to your room within bar hours at no cost and they do have some very nice wines. Just leave your card on the edge of your table in the dining room so they can see you have a package and you'll never have an empty glass.

We did our first Oceania cruise in june on the Nautica (with a premium drinks package) and we absolutely loved everything about it. It somehow just feels a cut above the rest and just special. . We're about to book another for next year as we loved it so much.

True enough if you take the drinks package, but not all of us do.

In our case, I will have a drink in the room but DH doesn't imbibe. I will have wine with dinner, he'll have a sip of mine. So we do bring on our own (not much) and will buy on board to supplement. But we don't consume enough to make the package worth it ... for US.

Another reason I'm not interested in the package is that I don't want their wine by the glass, I'd rather choose a bottle from their wine list.

Different strokes for different folks ...

Mura

True enough if you take the drinks package, but not all of us do.

In our case, I will have a drink in the room but DH doesn't imbibe. I will have wine with dinner, he'll have a sip of mine. So we do bring on our own (not much) and will buy on board to supplement. But we don't consume enough to make the package worth it ... for US.

Another reason I'm not interested in the package is that I don't want their wine by the glass, I'd rather choose a bottle from their wine list.

Different strokes for different folks ...

Mura

Oh I agree, for some it is simply not worth it but the OP did say she had premium package