Alaska Northbound

Shaf143

We are on the Crown 30 Aug and my DW is wondering about hats and mittens. Are they needed.

Thanks in advance from you seasoned vets.

Not very likely. Aug is usually dry and sunny in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest (Vancouver & Seattle)

We are on the Crown 30 Aug and my DW is wondering about hats and mittens. Are they needed.

Thanks in advance from you seasoned vets.

We did Alaska with a departure date of September 7 (SF to AK - 10 day round trip) and ended up with great weather. Cruising in Glacier Bay we did bundle up a bit but didn't need mittens or heavy hats. My wife did wear a stocking cap that day and later she bundled up with a blanket, her hat, and a muffler in a lounger on the Promenade deck. (We were on Sea Princess which has the wide Promenade.)

Most of our trip was quite nice. People in all the ports were amazed as they said they hadn't seen the sun in almost two weeks and we had sunshine everywhere we went.

Note: The first night and sea day out of SF we had rough weather but, after that, it was clear sailing. On our trip we didn't need coats or anything in any of the ports. I went ashore with an open flannel shirt over my regular shirt in Skagway and Ketchikan but ended up taking it off and stuffing it into my day pack.

Weather in AK can be changeable. Take things that can be layered.

Edited by Thrak

We have done Alaska several times and needed gloves and hat maybe 2/3 of the trips. We leave on the Coral on Aug 9th and we will pack light weight polar fleece head bands and gloves just in case!! Rather have them than not.

We have done Alaska several times and needed gloves and hat maybe 2/3 of the trips. We leave on the Coral on Aug 9th and we will pack light weight polar fleece head bands and gloves just in case!! Rather have them than not.

I agree 100%, when you don't take them is when you will need them. :eek:

We always do and are glad we did as we spend hours on our balcony rain or snow! :D

You can sign out a couple of pendleton blankets from the pool attendants if you need some. Alaska weather can vary all over the place. Friends sailing in July couldn't use the pool because it was so cold. We like late September, and on two trips it was over 70 onboard (except in Glacier Bay) and also over 70 in Anchorage and Fairbanks.

Light gloves can be useful, but if you have a sweater and hooded rain resistant jacket you will usually be just fine. You WILL get rained on at least one day. We had a Neets Bay tour (Ketchikan) cancelled due to unable to fly on one trip and it poured in Juneau on the other but didn't affect whale watching. On Coral/Island we sit in the covered pool area in shorts and step outside for viewing and pictures (sorry, Crown doesn't have a covered pool).

We went to Alaska last yr in Sept. The weather was mixed. Although never really, really cold, I wore a fleece headband and ball cap and gloves on horseback ride in Skagway and on small boat whale trip in Juneau. That way I was very comfortable. I took layers with 2 fleece jackets and waterproof jacket-waterproof jacket also served as a windbreaker. I did wear both fleece jackets and the waterproof with hood at one point over the ball cap and fleece headband.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app