Copper need your help please - a new twist that inquiring minds want to know about

kazu

I can't believe all the fuss and nastiness over a person asking a perfectly innocent question, especially when the question was no different than those asked and answered many times in the past without the OP being ganged up on and attacked.

It makes one afraid to ask any simple question. What happened to the CC that used to be fun and helpful? Where have all the old time posters gone?

I can't believe all the fuss and nastiness over a person asking a perfectly innocent question, especially when the question was no different than those asked and answered many times in the past without the OP being ganged up on and attacked.

It makes one afraid to ask any simple question. What happened to the CC that used to be fun and helpful? Where have all the old time posters gone?

That's what I wonder, too, sapper. I guess we're in the minority these days. I don't understand where the anger comes from...we're talking vacation, people! :eek:

It makes one afraid to ask any simple question. What happened to the CC that used to be fun and helpful? Where have all the old time posters gone? /QUOTE]

"Fuss and Nastiness"??? I simply asked Jacqui if there was something bad about changing crew on the Prinsendam. Her original posted sounded like that to me. I've never cruised on the Prinsendam, so I thought I was asking for clarification. I now understand why she asked that question. I didn't think I made any "fuss" about it.

As for KK's post, I still stand by what I wrote. I believe she simply left a word out of her sentence and probably wanted to say "I rarely READ, not I rarely see posts like this."

Geeze ... maybe there is a full moon lurking out in the sky!

Edited by Linda&Vern

Jacqui,

I understand your concern. It is more than just being friendly with the officers. it is knowing that the person at the helm has the experience to handle the ship.

The year we took our South America repo cruise the Veendam went through some difficult times. It hit a crane in Buenos Aires, had an incident in Ushuaia with the locals and then failed inspection when it got to New York. It was that Captain's first run.

It is nice to know who is going to be the captain, not only from a friendship standpoint, but from the experience angle as well.

Terri

Jacqui,

I understand your concern. It is more than just being friendly with the officers. it is knowing that the person at the helm has the experience to handle the ship.

The year we took our South America repo cruise the Veendam went through some difficult times. It hit a crane in Buenos Aires, had an incident in Ushuaia with the locals and then failed inspection when it got to New York. It was that Captain's first run.

It is nice to know who is going to be the captain, not only from a friendship standpoint, but from the experience angle as well.

Terri

Excellent points, Terri. I remember that cruise on the Veendam very well...I wasn't on the ship but remember reading all about it. Not good.

A friend just got off the Prinsendam and said that Tim Roberts told them that a new captain will be coming on board as he hasn't done a certain itinerary before. Please forgive the wording as it is probably incorrect but Captain Roberts said that he would be stepping aside to let another Captain train on the Prinsendam.

Apparently Captain Roberts will go to another ship?

Do you know anything about this and can you help with whom it would be and when?

Thank you very much.

Kazu, hope you're having a good Saturday! ;)

I have not heard about that change before you mentioned it today. According to the schedule, Capt. Andre van Schoonhoven just relieved Captain Roberts on PRDM. If I'll hear something different in the future, I will send a homing pigeon

Sail, I am quoting you only to clarify. The question I posed to Copper is not a typical reassignment. This is not the case. It is a temporary situation as I understood it from what was relayed to me and that's why I was hoping for clarification. It's not a matter of new captain to be there permanently but one who has not done certain itineraries and wants experience as I understood it.

Prinsendam does not change captains often. In fact you can probably list them on less than 10 fingers. Captain Albert (whose blog many love and follow) was with the Prinsendam for some time. Captain Gundersen who recently retired was with the ship since the day she was launched (with another cruise line) and stayed with her until his retirement. When Captain Andre was ill, rather than bring in another Captain that does not know the ship, Captain Gundersen came out of retirement to command the ship until Captain Andre was well enough to take over again. rafinmd reported this I believe on his live thread.

So, to me, this situation is a bit different. I thought Prinsendam aficionados would be interested and want to know - not just myself.

thanks Vict0riann - I should have thought of that :o Appreciate the help.

Captain Gunderson was a bit of a special case as he came with the ship, so to speak. He came from Royal Viking and HAL hired him when they purchased what was to become Prinsendam from Seabourn.

We were on Zaandam and Maitre d' asked if we would agree to dine the next night, which was a formal night, with a special guest. We said sure and did not ask any questions.

The gentleman, dressed in a magnificent tuxedo, joined our table for four which we normally have set for two unless we have guest(s). It was the 'to be' Master of Prinsendam..... Captain Gunderdson. He was not in uniform as though he was a Captain, he was not The Captain of the Zaandam, the ship we were sailing.

We had an amazing evening and saw him a number of times during that cruise. He was aboard studying HAL way of doing things and meeting HAL guests.

To think Captains on Prinsendam will not rotate the way they do on all the other ships is not realistic to compare to Captain Gunderson. One would expect the terms of his contract probably were for him to sail Prinsendam given his special connection to her.

He is now retired and we all wish him a most happy, healthy retirement after a wonderful career.

Edited by sail7seas

Kazu, hope you're having a good Saturday! ;)

I have not heard about that change before you mentioned it today. According to the schedule, Capt. Andre van Schoonhoven just relieved Captain Roberts on PRDM. If I'll hear something different in the future, I will send a homing pigeon

thank you Copper:D I truly appreciate you replying:D

Have a great Saturday:)

Captain Gunderson was a bit of a special case as he came with the ship, so to speak. He came from Royal Viking and HAL hired him when they purchased what was to become Prinsendam from Seabourn.

We were on Zaandam and Maitre d' asked if we would agree to dine the next night, which was a formal night, with a special guest. We said sure and did not ask any questions.

The gentleman, dressed in a magnificent tuxedo, joined our table for four which we normally have set for two unless we have guest(s). It was the 'to be' Master of Prinsendam..... Captain Gunderdson. He was not in uniform as though he was a Captain, he was not The Captain of the Zaandam, the ship we were sailing.

We had an amazing evening and saw him a number of times during that cruise. He was aboard studying HAL way of doing things and meeting HAL guests.

To think Captains on Prinsendam will not rotate the way they do on all the other ships is not realistic to compare to Captain Gunderson. One would expect the terms of his contract probably were for him to sail Prinsendam given his special connection to her.

He is now retired and we all wish him a most happy, healthy retirement after a wonderful career.

Famous for his P/A announcement in a Norwegian accent: "Hello, it's me again!" A classic! ;)

Famous for his P/A announcement in a Norwegian accent: "Hello, it's me again!" A classic! ;)

Loved it:) He was our first captain on the Prinsendam and the ship was certainly ship shape under his command. :)

Exactly how I feel about CC these days.

It's as if people just wait to pounce.

How many times have we seen threads on who is the captain, CD, piano bar player ... Legitimate questions and not deserving of criticism.

Jacqui,

Terri

The Captain is licensed and has probably wrung more water out of his socks than you cruisers have seen. HAL will provide a capable licensed Captain to be at the helm,it's not like Hunky Dory is driving the ship.

If he has any problems,he can always summon a cruise critic member to help him navigate any treacherous inlets etc.

Edited by Wakepatrol

I am wondering if one of the chief officers has been promoted to captain and since the Prinsendam is smaller perhaps she is a short training assignment. I know that often when even experienced captains go to the next class up of ship they train with another captain several weeks. It isn't always on the ship to which they will ultimately be assigned. Some of the older captains may be getting ready to retire.

Actually, this has been a very interesting thread. I tend to be quite out to lunch about captains and such. I see I need to be more alert. We had a great captain on the Prinsendam in France in 2008 when the dock workers went on strike. He was able to reroute us to tender ports, which made the cruise even more special, but I have no idea who it was--I wish I knew.

I am wondering if one of the chief officers has been promoted to captain and since the Prinsendam is smaller perhaps she is a short training assignment. I know that often when even experienced captains go to the next class up of ship they train with another captain several weeks. It isn't always on the ship to which they will ultimately be assigned. Some of the older captains may be getting ready to retire.

There are always a number of Chief Officers, now known as Staff Captains with HAL, on the promotion list to Captain. Usually, but not always, they will do a contract or two as acting captains until a captain opening/vacancy presents itself and the full promotion takes place. Usually, but not always, that contract or two as acting captain takes places on a class of vessel on which the individual has served as staff captain and has already gained experience on as far as handling the ship. And yes, you are correct, there will be what's known as an extended "hand-over" period where the current captain will train, keep an eye on and make himself available for questions/advise to the "new" captain. PRDM, being in a class by herself however, usually does not draw "acting" captains who have not been in command before

The Captain is licensed and has probably wrung more water out of his socks than you cruisers have seen. HAL will provide a capable licensed Captain to be at the helm,it's not like Hunky Dory is driving the ship.

If he has any problems,he can always summon a cruise critic member to help him navigate any treacherous inlets etc.

NO reason to be insulting.

You were most likely not on the Veendam during that SA season. After that SA season, many Officers were let go and that captain was demoted.

Terri

...............................We had a great captain on the Prinsendam in France in 2008 when the dock workers went on strike. He was able to reroute us to tender ports, which made the cruise even more special, but I have no idea who it was--I wish I knew.

If it wasn't the aforementioned and now retired Captain Halle Thon Gundersen, the only Norwegian captain at the time, that would have been Captain Chris Turner, a Brit, who was switching off with Capt. Gundersen in 2008 on PRDM

That's exactly why I stopped visiting CC some time ago. I haven't been able to take a cruise for a few years now due to health and financial problems, so I thought it would be fun to live vicariously through others on these boards, but just couldn't handle the nastiness any longer.

Every so often I pop back in to see if anything interesting is going on, but it doesn't take long to stumble across a thread like this.

[

Copper10-8

<snip>

Captain Andre van Schoonhoven, new Captain to Prinsendam, was promoted to Captain after being Chief Officer. We sailed his first cruise as Captain on Maasdam and he's terrific. Wonderful gentleman.

Seems to me he was once Chief Officer on Prinsendam?

Anyone know?

Edited by sail7seas