I'm sorry...another tipping question.

They are "paid" $50 a month.

Their "lodgings" are a tiny cabin with no window shared with three others.

Their "board" is mainly chicken & rice, rice & chicken, chicken & rice, and rice & chicken.

They work more than eight hours a day - often MUCH more than eight hours a day - day after day after day after day..... without a day off, for months at a time.

They MORE than earn every penny from every passenger at the most basic level of the automatic tips. Anyone who gives less is CHEATING the staff.

PERIOD.

How do you know what they eat,and how they live.And if anyone is cheating the crew it is Royal Caribbean.You should worry more about what you do.And not what other people do.Have a great day.

Edited by caribbean sailor

Without starting a skirmish I was wondering what your definition of above and beyond means. What anybody's definition of above and beyond means. My wife and I are very accommodating travellers, about the only request we tend to make anywhere is extra towels, we'll shower 2-3 times a day and maybe an extra pillow.

What does the staff and crew have to do go beyond what they are supposed to do?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"Above and beyond" is whatever YOU think "above and beyond is. I may find extra towels as "their job," or I may consider it "above and beyond." I have had some cabin stewards (very few) who simply "did their job." Little or no extra tip there. But almost every one has done many little, sometimes big, extras for me. So I tip accordingly. The "standard tip" is suggested, not mandatory. If you think they deserve the amount, then tip it. If you think they deserve more for whatever reason that means something to you, then up tip. If you think they deserve less, then remove tips and tip less in cash. The only reason these posts become heated is that we all have different assumptions, expectations, demands, and standards. Some are overly generous, others are overly stingy. But most fall into the "generous" category. Usually it isn't whether or not a Cruise Critic member adds tips, it's usually how MUCH they add. And then a small number are simply "different," and don't want to tip, will not add a tip, and some even "test" the Cabin Steward to make them "earn" their tips.

So, bottom line, I tip whatever I feel is appropriate. Only I can determine if a crew member has gone "above and beyond."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last year I took my first Med cruise. If you've ever had the experience, you know it is port intensive where you are off the ship for 10 or more hours when in port.

The highlight of the trip for me was finally getting to see the Vatican. The night before, I saw my cabin steward and told her I was so excited and fearful that I wouldn't wake up in time to be off the ship at 7:30 as I was so exhausted. I told her I had my travel alarm and a wake up call on my phone so I wouldn't oversleep. Five minutes before the alarm was to go off, she called me with the sweetest voice, wished me a good morning and a wonderful day in Rome.

I literally started to cry at her thoughtfulness because I had also shared that this trip was a promise I made to my mother who is now deceased.

I was so grateful, that upon my return, I wrote a letter commending her for her thoughtfulness and turned it into Guest Relations. The following day she saw me and with tears in her eyes, told me my letter was read at their staff meeting and she was given a Visa Gift card from the Captain. The letter was also posted on I 95 for the staff to see.

Another cruise, I was in Grand Cayman and missed applying sufficient sunscreen on my feet.

Returning to my cabin, I was limping and wincing in pain when my cabin steward saw me and asked if he could assist. I told him I would be fine once I elevated my feet and applied the aloe I brought with me.

A few minutes later, there was a knock on the door and he arrived with a large bucket of ice water with vinegar in it and a stack of wash cloths. He told me to apply it to the swelling and get the heat out of my skin.

It was so effective, I was able to wear heels that night for dinner and dance in the club afterwards.

Those are just a few examples but I have many more.

So yes, I have been very lucky and like to show my gratitude with monetary rewards above and beyond the recommended amount.

celebrity...great heartwarming recollections of the hard-working and thoughtful folks that you have encountered. Peter

They are "paid" $50 a month.

Their "lodgings" are a tiny cabin with no window shared with three others.

Their "board" is mainly chicken & rice, rice & chicken, chicken & rice, and rice & chicken.

They work more than eight hours a day - often MUCH more than eight hours a day - day after day after day after day..... without a day off, for months at a time.

They MORE than earn every penny from every passenger at the most basic level of the automatic tips. Anyone who gives less is CHEATING the staff.

PERIOD.

Surely that's to do with staff welfare?

It's not the under tipping passengers who are cheating the staff, it is the underpaying cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This, oh yes this. A tip for service beyond their job description is civilized. Paying people to work long hours for little compensation is not. I am not responsible for making up the difference, out of pocket, between their actual wages and their perceived worth. That is RCI's responsibility.

This, oh yes this. A tip for service beyond their job description is civilized. Paying people to work long hours for little compensation is not. I am not responsible for making up the difference, out of pocket, between their actual wages and their perceived worth. That is RCI's responsibility.

What you don't seem to comprehend is that if the cruiseline paid their staff more, they would simply charge more for the cruise. Maybe one day the mainstream cruiselines will do this - the high priced ones already do.

What you don't seem to comprehend is that if the cruiseline paid their staff more, they would simply charge more for the cruise. Maybe one day the mainstream cruiselines will do this - the high priced ones already do.

One way or another, you pay it. But now it is not very opaque.

I personally would be happy to pay $10 or $12 a day more for a cruise because I pay the added tips anyway. It's a funky way of doing business and it probably makes the cruise lines's profit appear to be less so they pay fewer taxes or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the info....but can someone tell me how I can determine if my OBC is refundable or non-refundable? Thanks.

You can ask Guest Services once you are on board the ship.

Don't forget they get paid, get board and lodgings and get auto tips from lots of other passengers as well.

Going above and beyond to me is what you do in any job and you shouldn't expect to be paid or tipped more then the 'usual'.

Actually I have chatted with more than one room steward who has told me that their only income is from the tips they receive.

Plus remember that the tips that are automatically applied benefit others in addition to the people you see.

I just use the auto tips, and then give extra where warranted. To me it is being a cheapskate if you opt out of auto tips.

[quote name='bling19572010']Thanks for the info....but can someone tell me how I can determine if my OBC is refundable or non-refundable? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You can call Crown and Anchor and ask them to check for you. They have access to the meaning of all the codes that are attached to your reservation.