Question about Purchasing Beer from Alaska?

metsmom

May seem an odd question but you guys on CC have been so helpful with info for us newbies! I had thought it would be a nice gift to bring my adult son some beers from Alaska since he loves to try sampling some new brews. We are flying back to NJ from Seattle after our cruise in 2 weeks so transporting them on plane is too much of a pain. I checked locally here and they have nothing from Alaska but I did find some nice samplers online from Alaska which were around $20 but they were charging $35-$40 shipping! I realize it's a far distance but would anyone know if I buy them from any of the ports on our cruise will the shipping to back home be more reasonable? Our itinerary includes Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, & Victoria. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

Because of tax laws in states this might be impossible. The best place

to check is Juneau, the Alaskan Brewery shop downtown, and Skagway Brewery. We suggest you buy him something (clothes and the like)

from the shops. Alaskan beer we can by in the Boston area. Check your speciality shops in your area. They Alaskan has a great tour, you go to their shop downtown, take their shuttle and taste the many kinds they offer. They sometimes also do a tour

Skagway, has bar at their shop and place to purchase items.

The problem with shipping beer is that the glass bottles are quite heavy and require a lot of packing material to keep them from breaking. Also, shipping anything to/from Alaska is expensive because it is considered a remote location and there is a limited number of shipping companies that service the area. I am not surprised at those high shipping costs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Most towns of any size should have at least one liquor store that specializes in carrying beer from all over. There's one where I live - which is not a big city (or even a medium sized city) that carries something over 400 types of beer. Ask around. You may be able to buy Alaskan beer at home.

I wouldn't mind working my way through the entire Alaskan Brewing Company listing though. Just for ummm... informational comparison. Yeah, that's right... I'd especially like to take some extra time "testing" their Smoked Porter and Oatmeal Stout offerings.

That's the real problem when people like me say to check in your home town. You may well find Alaskan Brewing Company beer available but it will almost certainly not be a smoked porter. It will be one of the "always available" beers. The very best beers are usually limited batches or only sold in a smaller area. The beers that are more "mass market" beers are the ones that get shipped.

I love beer. I made my own beer for many years. I live in the town where Sierra Nevada Brewery is located. (And yes, their most "popular" beer - the one that is shipped everywhere - is considered by many to be not be one of their best beers.)

Budweiser, Coors, Corona... things of that sort don't even make it onto my list of what constitutes beer. Princess ships don't carry acceptable beer. My wife would love to have a beer while cruising but there's nothing available that she's willing to drink. It's sad.

D'Oh! How did that happen. Who stuck this soapbox under my feet? It's 11:35 PM. Perhaps I'll just go to bed.

Thanks ok, I enjoyed your post! I tried calling about 10 stores in the Northern NJ area, even some big ones and not a one carried Alaskan beer. I've got another 2 weeks to try so I'm not giving up just yet! ;)

Did a google search of Alaskan Beer in NJ - Alaska Brewing company has this on their web site

Our beer is currently available in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming. If you live in one of these states and need help locating our beer, search here for your favorite Alaskan Beer nearest you!

so it doesn't look like its available in NJ - but good luck with your search

Last time we were in Juneau we went to the brewery. The downtown store within easy walking distance of the ship sells tours to the brewery for a very reasonable price. They took us to the brewery in a small van they operated. The tour was something else. They told us that we could have 5 "tastings" which entailed filling the pint glasses half full or more! Now that is the way to do a "tasting"! Also the tour consisted of standing in a glassed in area viewing the vats and listening to the guy talk. We had to stop in the middle and go back to get another "tasting" before he could continue the talk. As for the 5 it turned into 6. It was a fantastic tour. Luckily they sell the beer here and I like it.

We were in Juneau in June and I picked up two bombers (22oz. bottles) from the Alaskan brewery after doing the tour. Each one went in to a bubble pack wine bottle shipping envelope and then into my checked baggage. The airline gorillas didn't damage them and we'll be enjoying them this coming Friday at a friend's bottle share party.

Incidentally, when returning to the ship, they didn't even bat an eye at them and we walked straight to our cabin with them...