Disembarking in Rome

Baby basil

When disembarking in Rome, how much much time does it take? Is it worth walking off with your bags if you are travelling lightly?

Thank you.

Do you have an early flight? It's about 1 hour to the airport from the port. The ship arrived at 5am, and we disembarked at 7am, picking up our luggage and in the transport and on our way no later that 7:30am.

It also depends on how you are getting to the airport. If you plan to take the train, then you may want to self disembark to give you the most time to navigate that. We have disembarked twice in Rome, and both times hired a private car service. We use Rome Cabs but there are several. Your driver will be waiting for you after you collect your bags, you'll get into the car and be off for the hour's drive to the airport. Cost is about 130 euros for 2 people, but that's no more than the Celebrity transfers which are $92 pp. Lots of cruisers on these boards use private car services, you'll get many recommendations.

When disembarking in Rome, how much much time does it take? Is it worth walking off with your bags if you are travelling lightly?

Thank you.

We always do the self disembarkation so we are in the first group off, usually within 15-30 minutes of docking.

I seem to remember reading in another thread that the port coaches that used to take you to the port gate for free, now run to a bus terminal a long way from the rail station, due to cruise terminal rebuilding works or some such thing.

Not sure how long for, or indeed whether still happening, but any one looking to take the train into Rome should check further.

I seem to remember reading in another thread that the port coaches that used to take you to the port gate for free, now run to a bus terminal a long way from the rail station, due to cruise terminal rebuilding works or some such thing.

Not sure how long for, or indeed whether still happening, but any one looking to take the train into Rome should check further.

I have a car to drop off in the morning of the cruise and plan to catch the free bus from the port entrance to the ship. The busses normally were staged at the port entrance right at Fort Michelangelo. Have they moved the drop off/pick up point?

I have a car to drop off in the morning of the cruise and plan to catch the free bus from the port entrance to the ship. The busses normally were staged at the port entrance right at Fort Michelangelo. Have they moved the drop off/pick up point?

I think so. We have a NCL Christmas/New Year cruise booked ex Rome and I remember seeing something when doing research for that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

More detailed information on the temporary relocation of the port shuttle drop-off/pick-up location in Civitavecchia can be found here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057798

Thanks. that will be a hike from the rental car agency. Maybe they will give me a courtesy ride to the pick up location. At least I can drop my wife & the luggage off.

Thanks. that will be a hike from the rental car agency. Maybe they will give me a courtesy ride to the pick up location. At least I can drop my wife & the luggage off.

Which rental agency are you using? The new spot is just across the street from Europcar which worked out perfectly for us. If you're not already totally committed, check pricing on Kemwel and AutoEurope; we paid half of what Europcar was charging and still rented through them--less than $200 (dollars) for a week, picking up in Civitavecchia and dropping in Venice.

Which rental agency are you using? The new spot is just across the street from Europcar which worked out perfectly for us. If you're not already totally committed, check pricing on Kemwel and AutoEurope; we paid half of what Europcar was charging and still rented through them--less than $200 (dollars) for a week, picking up in Civitavecchia and dropping in Venice.

I usually go with Sixt, but I think they closed down their office which used to be at Forte Michelangelo. Made it convenient to catch the bus to the pier. This time going with Hertz, pick up at FCO and drop at the port, not too far from the port entrance where the busses pick up. Hopefully they will have the construction taken care of by 31 October.

I'll have to check out Kemwel and AutoEurope. Thanks for the tip.

Check with the transport company you booked with to see if they have a permit to enter the port area. Ours did and we were dropped off and picked up directly off the ship. There were lots of companies right next to the luggage drop off/pickup area, so I'm guessing that most of the more popular companies have these permits. There was no need for us to take the shuttle bus and we appreciated the convenience.

Check with the transport company you booked with to see if they have a permit to enter the port area. Ours did and we were dropped off and picked up directly off the ship. There were lots of companies right next to the luggage drop off/pickup area, so I'm guessing that most of the more popular companies have these permits. There was no need for us to take the shuttle bus and we appreciated the convenience.

We rented with Hertz. There office is a couple of blocks up from the port entrance at the Forte.