Horizons & Track Question - small ships

roothy123

I need a refresher: I'm looking for somewhere to suggest meeting for an informal Roll Call get together if people are interested. It is hard to get people together, but most people are watching the first sailaway, and ours (Lisbon from starboard side) should be better than most for scenery. That means I will want to be taking pictures soon after departure as we pass a couple monuments on the river. I can't remember if it is easy to get outside from Horizons on Insignia, but if so, I was thinking of suggesting we meet at Horizons - or else just on the track deck above the pool near there. I suppose some folks might want drinks, and some people might want to sit down, and some folks (like me) will want to be able to jump up and take a picture. Some folks may want to be within ear shot of the sailaway music, too.

We depart at 4 and I'm anticipating the lifeboat drill around 3:15. We will have been on the ship since the previous afternoon. The scenery I'm most interested in will be on the starboard (right) side, 30-45 minutes after departure, as we pass Belem and then a half hour or so later as we pass an island with a lighthouse. Once we get to 5pm, I'm thinking it will be difficult to get people together, as they are likely thinking cocktails and dinner. At least we won't be unpacking then! I love taking pictures from the Terrace, but I don't know if they would want us there 2 hours before dinner starts, so I ruled that out. I also can't remember if there's a bar close to there (don't think so).

Does Horizons lead out to the track deck, or what? Is the track deck accessible from the elevator on 10, or do you have to walk up the steps from the pool deck? Should I suggest the pool deck back by the bar, so I can run up the stairs to take a picture? I have not been on one of the small ships so I'm drawing a blank. Answers and suggestions are welcome!

Oh, one question - does anyone know which side of the ship the phones are located on the decks that have staterooms? Just curious, as it helps me to orient myself.

Edited by roothy123

you can take the elevator to deck 10 which has Horizons & the fitness track

or you can walk up the stairs from the pool deck to either

You can view the deck plans on Oceania's website

Edited by LHT28

Oh, sorry, I should have stated we're on Insignia. I think Horizons is on 11 on Marina (our last 2 cruises) but on Insignia it's on 10 according to the deck plans. Is the layout the same, however - just walk outside from Horizons?

delete - mistake!

Edited by roothy123

Yes, I do! Ran out yesterday and didn't buy more, so actually I never got any this morning (sigh!) I looked at the plans; thanks. Just wasn't sure how to interpret that dotted line between the Horizons and elevator area and the rest of the area!

Once we get to 5pm, I'm thinking it will be difficult to get people together, as they are likely thinking cocktails and dinner.

I think 5 PM cocktails in Horizons after sailaway is the perfect time for your get-together. Dinner does not start until 6:30 PM. We have gone to several M&G's at that time. Often, friends you make there will go on to dinner with you.

With the Captain's reception now (always?) scheduled for the next evening, cocktails after sailaway is a great time IMO.

I know the Marina and Riviera phones are on the even numbered Port side. I'm almost certain they are the same on the small ships, but I always check first thing on board.

We have fun watching folks get off the elevators looking confused, then we tell them the phone trick and they are always grateful. We're just passing it forward; some told us on our 2nd or 3rd cruise.

Hhmm.. here I thought the phone on the wall was my own private way of not being among the dazed and confused! Of course I have passed my trick on to.others on marina and on cruise critic so who knows, maybe you actually learned it from me!

Saw your post about azamara vs. oceania and agree 100%. It is o all the way for me...

Just wasn't sure how to interpret that dotted line between the Horizons and elevator area and the rest of the area!

b_013323.jpg

That dotted line on the Deck Plans represents the extent that the overhang of Deck 11 shades Deck 10.

IMG_1867.jpg