a liquor question?

SeaBands

It has been years since HAL allowed people to bring on hard alcohol.

HAL also allows only one 750 ml bottle of wine to be brought onto the ship per adult which must be in your carry on luggage.

If you bring more than that, right after you go through security, there is a table set up where they will take your name and cabin number and charge to your shipboard account $18 corkage fee for each bottle over the allotted limit.

You can pre-purchase alcohol for cabin consumption by ordering on line, or through ship services at 1-800-541-1576 or through room service once you get on the ship. The price will be the same.

We had to check in a Curacao gift set which consisted of 3 tiny 75 ml bottles of Curacao in different flavors. If was a gift for someone back home. We had purchased the Signature Beverage Package, so if we did decide to drink it, it would have been to HAL's benefit. ;)

Are you sure you aren't confusing it with the wine policy?

I think it was around 2004 when HAL suddenly imposed the rule that people could no longer bring bottles of hard alcohol onto the ships. It was done without any notice. We were on one of the first cruises when this happened. It took forever to get on the ship as people had to turn over their bottles of hard liquor and the line right behind the scanners was long. We didn't have any hard alcohol. But people were screaming and some were embarrassed over the new rule.

A couple of years ago at SD I tried bring on a bottle of Peppermint Schnapps, I had wine bottles stacked above it and got ask what I was carrying. I told them wine and they ask to see it and uncovered the Schnapps and of course it got confiscated. We were on a btb, so I got it back after the first cruise. I haven't tried since. I really didn't think they would take that bottle as I just like to have it in my Hot Chocolate but they did.:D:D

A couple of years ago at SD I tried bring on a bottle of Peppermint Schnapps, I had wine bottles stacked above it and got ask what I was carrying. I told them wine and they ask to see it and uncovered the Schnapps and of course it got confiscated. We were on a btb, so I got it back after the first cruise. I haven't tried since. I really didn't think they would take that bottle as I just like to have it in my Hot Chocolate but they did.:D:D

Funny! :)

I read all the time about people trying to bring liquor on ships and wonder what the real problem is.

I have brought a bottle on every cruise I have been on. I do not try to hide it. I put it in my checked baggage and each and every time when I get to my cabin, it's there.

I have travelled on HAL, Celebrity, NCL, Cunard, Princess, Royal Caribbean (and others) and the bottle has always arrived in my cabin.

I think, actually, on one Princess cruise out of San Juan, I bought my bottle of scotch at a duty free shop right next to the gangway.

I read all the time about people trying to bring liquor on ships and wonder what the real problem is.

I have brought a bottle on every cruise I have been on. I do not try to hide it. I put it in my checked baggage and each and every time when I get to my cabin, it's there.

As long as you understand as well as accept what the policy is on each cruiseline, you can try anything you want. Your luck isn't related to actual policy and consequences.

Unless you are using totally breakage- and leak-proof containers, you might want to reconsider. While you may be willing to risk leakage on your personal possessions, the contents of a broken bottle may well leak into the suitcases of other passengers. Not cool. :(

We find that liquor bought onboard is quite good value on HAL, especially compared to wine.

We always have some pre-purchased 1L liqour waiting in our cabin when we board. If we want more we just call room service and get 1L bottles delivered to our cabin.

10 days to go til Noordam out of BCN. I can taste the Bacardi already!

Edited by richardukcruise

We find that liquor bought onboard is quite good value on HAL, especially compared to wine.

!

Agree that this is one line it wouldn't be a great advantage to try to carry booze on undetected. The cost is pretty darn fair. And if your contraband is discovered you lose what you already spent. Not worth it on HAL.

Now wine...a totally different story.:rolleyes: We have our tote bag ( and wallet) ready.

Edited by eandj

I have travelled on HAL, Celebrity, NCL, Cunard, Princess, Royal Caribbean (and others) and the bottle has always arrived in my cabin.

I think, actually, on one Princess cruise out of San Juan, I bought my bottle of scotch at a duty free shop right next to the gangway.

When was the last time you sailed on HAL?

On our Nieuw Amsterdam cruises in March/April, they were doing a very good job x-raying the checked luggage. We had to go to the front office to straighten out a problem on embarkation day. There were tons of luggage and people lined up to go into the "naughty" room as bottles of alcohol had shown up on the x-rays.

We always have some pre-purchased 1L liqour waiting in our cabin when we board. If we want more we just call room service and get 1L bottles delivered to our cabin.

10 days to go til Noordam out of BCN. I can taste the Bacardi already!

We also pre-purchase alcohol for our cabin.

Love the idea that we can fix our own drinks when we are ready to sit out on the verandah and relax.

And many times we at lunch time we pick up cheese and crackers.

Can you still check liquor purchased in port for delivery to your cabin the last night? Or are they also not doing this anymore?

HAL is checking all packages when you get back on the ship in each port.

And they will take all alcohol -- even small sampler bottles -- and record your name and label them for delivery to your cabin for delivery at the end of the cruise.

Up till last Nov HAL was pretty lax in enforcing bringing a bottle or 2 of liquor on board. Has anyone had experience recently at Seattle or Port Everglades with this?

Three times we've had them let liquor pass, but each time it was at the last port of call before heading home. not at embarkation.

I don't ever remember HAL being Lax about enforcing the liquor ban? When we joined Cruise Critic many years ago, there were constant threads about posters who were trying to sneak liquor on board..

In 2004 we were on a trans-Atlantic on the Westerdam.. We purchased an expensive bottle of Brandy in Maderia, as a gift to our Pet Sitter before crossing the pond.. I was asked by security what the box held & told them it was a gift of liquor for our pet sitter...It still was confiscated & returned to us the last night of our cruise..

Edited by serendipity1499

HAL is checking all packages when you get back on the ship in each port.

And they will take all alcohol -- even small sampler bottles -- and record your name and label them for delivery to your cabin for delivery at the end of the cruise.

Yes. They did this back in 2006 on our first and then in 2009 on our second cruises. I was hoping the new wine regulations hadn't changed this. Thanks for confirming.

Big thanks to S7S for answering as well.

We like to bring local liquors home to family as a momento. :D

Edited by AlohaPride

Unless you are using totally breakage- and leak-proof containers, you might want to reconsider. While you may be willing to risk leakage on your personal possessions, the contents of a broken bottle may well leak into the suitcases of other passengers. Not cool. :(

So, your shampoo, sunscreen, mouthwash, toothpaste, conditioner and any other of the myriad of liquids you may be carrying are all in "totally breakage- and leak-proof" containers?

Didn't think so.

Not cool.

I pack my bottle in two plastic bags, wrap it in my clothes and place it in the middle of my luggage. Do you take the same care with your liquids?

Didn't think so.

Not cool.

So, your shampoo, sunscreen, mouthwash, toothpaste, conditioner and any other of the myriad of liquids you may be carrying are all in "totally breakage- and leak-proof" containers?

Didn't think so.

Not cool.

I pack my bottle in two plastic bags, wrap it in my clothes and place it in the middle of my luggage. Do you take the same care with your liquids?

Didn't think so.

Not cool.

I do...If we must fly, we've always packed all our liquids in totally leakproof containers, also wrap them in several 2 gallon zip lock bags, & place them in the middle of our checked luggage.. If we can we try to purchase these things at the cruise boarding point but if we can't no problem using the large zip locks.. Purchased the 2 gal size Zip locks at Target several years ago & they work very well for all liquids..