a liquor question?

SeaBands

Here's another question. I know, I know. I will find out when we board in Venice on 26aug. But I was just wondering.....how much does a beer cost? Or a coke?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

PDF version of scanned bar menu that includes cognac:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/HAL-Bar-Menu.pdf

Edited by Crew News

Agree that this is one line it wouldn't be a great advantage to try to carry booze on undetected. The cost is pretty darn fair. And if your contraband is discovered you lose what you already spent. Not worth it on HAL.

Now wine...a totally different story.:rolleyes: We have our tote bag ( and wallet) ready.

Not if you refill your old wine bottles at home with your favorite liquor. ;)

HAL is checking all packages when you get back on the ship in each port.

And they will take all alcohol -- even small sampler bottles -- and record your name and label them for delivery to your cabin for delivery at the end of the cruise.

Those size bottles fit very nicely into pockets. No need to put them through the scanner. :D

the last 2 you suggested are wines not brandies or distilled like Armanac. I am sure that they don't have that on board or a grappa or marc.

There's a grappa. (Banfi, methinks.) I know that the last two I listed were Sherry. I was just trying to list some things they didn't have on the ship. I wasn't implying that they were the same as a brandy.

The one thing I was surprised not to see was Vandermint. If you aren't going to find it on a Dutch ship....

Edited by POA1

Vandermint, Cherry Suisse, and Pasha Coffee are no longer manufactured. Besides brandy I sometimes bring a good bottle of port also. Last May, November, and the prior May no problem in our packed luggage.

Not if you refill your old wine bottles at home with your favorite liquor. ;)

Those size bottles fit very nicely into pockets. No need to put them through the scanner. :D

We just buy the liter bottles from HAL rather than smuggle anything onto a ship -- not even the small bottles.

Not judging anyone ... just curious. I think HAL's liquor pricing is very fair and not over-priced. So why would you smuggle liquor onto the ship, when purchasing it on-board would be so easy and meet HAL requirements? I truly am curious.

I agree with you. We always purchase a bottle of Bailey's to have in the room to add to our fancy coffee from Explorations. Considering it is a 1 litre bottle compared to the 750ml we would get at home it is very comparable in price in my opinion. I just can't imagine dealing with the hassle and chance of getting caught to save a few bucks, lol.

Not judging anyone ... just curious. I think HAL's liquor pricing is very fair and not over-priced. So why would you smuggle liquor onto the ship, when purchasing it on-board would be so easy and meet HAL requirements? I truly am curious.

My nephew did it because he was 18 at the time. Legal to drink in Europe (where we were) but not allowed to drink on the ship and didn't want Grandma to know! Ssshhh! :eek: And it was that or sail on NCL where the age of consumption is 18 for European sailings. No thanks!

I personally had a bought a bottle and had it waiting in my room but I must say I would have preferred Captain Morgan over what they offered- Bacardi white rum.

I think it must be a European thing but we don't drink liquor much only wine and the prices are very high from what I can see. We are not used to drinking expensive wines just a decent New World Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc which you can get here in UK for around £6 to £8 a bottle in a supermarket or around £20 in a restaurant. On HAL it seems that even the house wine is much higher than this and for a bottle of anything half decent it's getting on for $40!

Please could any wine drinkers out there give us some idea on what the wines are like - we just want to be able to sit on our verandah with a nice bottel and watch the world go by!

As long as you don't mind paying outrageous prices. :D

We live in PA where all wines and alcohols have to be bought in a state liquor store. Beer in beer stores. Prices are high -- we still have an extra tax to pay for the 1936 Johnstown flood.

And now our state is thinking about raising the prices by 35%!! That will make our liquor prices than HAL.

I agree with you. We always purchase a bottle of Bailey's to have in the room to add to our fancy coffee from Explorations. Considering it is a 1 litre bottle compared to the 750ml we would get at home it is very comparable in price in my opinion. I just can't imagine dealing with the hassle and chance of getting caught to save a few bucks, lol.

Many times I order a Bailey's after dinner drink on HAL & pour it into my after dinner coffee.. This often takes the place of dessert for me..

The Stewards give me clean lovely HAL glasses the Bailey's come in..

At the end of several cruises we had a few boxes of the HAL glasses.. The Steward gave me clean ones in a box instead of the ones I've used.. I've had so many & have also given the complete boxes to our Friends who have cruised on HAL as gifts..

I broke one of my glasses several months ago, so it's time to book another cruise!:)

Edited by serendipity1499

We live in PA where all wines and alcohols have to be bought in a state liquor store. Beer in beer stores. Prices are high -- we still have an extra tax to pay for the 1936 Johnstown flood.

And now our state is thinking about raising the prices by 35%!! That will make our liquor prices than HAL.

OOPS -- meant to say "higher" than HAL.

Up till last Nov HAL was pretty lax in enforcing bringing a bottle or 2 of liquor on board. Has anyone had experience recently at Seattle or Port Everglades with this?

Only two bottles per stateroom.

Does anyone know if I can purchase a bottle of Pastis on board? What about Campari? If not, am I left having to buy individual drinks at a bar every time? That will get expensive

I would also like to know about campari.. If I cant sit with a campari and soda on the verandha for breakfast I may have to cancel ;)

I would also like to know about campari.. If I cant sit with a campari and soda on the verandha for breakfast I may have to cancel ;)

And Pastis too. I don't see it on the bottles list. What are those of us who cannot get what they want as a bottle for their room supposed to do???

And Pastis too. I don't see it on the bottles list. What are those of us who cannot get what they want as a bottle for their room supposed to do???

Go without or try something different? Travel is meant to expand one's horizons, so if you want all of the comforts of home, try a staycation! :)

Go without or try something different? Travel is meant to expand one's horizons, so if you want all of the comforts of home, try a staycation! :)

Trouble is "something different" seems to be 5 varieties of anti freeze chemical bourbon toilet cleaner. ;):rolleyes:

There are a few cocktails in the Canaletto restaurant that are made with Campari, so I would think you should be able to buy a bottle on the ship. You could also pre-order by calling ship services and maybe they can arrange for it to be in your room upon boarding.

What is Pastis anyway?

A sweetened liquor with the instilled flavour of herbs found around the Provence region of France where the drink originates, with Marseille being the "capital". Flavour and taste varies from distiller to distiller but the primary/predominant taste is aniseed/liquorice.

Drunk with diluted with cold water (1:-5 parts pastis:water) as an aperitif.