Neptune Suites by elevator

Toad

Every once in a while I have my door closed on my office at work. It may be closed for just a few minutes but people open it without even knocking first. If I see someone's door closed at work I'll come back later. I know this is different than what we were talking about but when did it become acceptable to invade the privacy of others?

We were in a Neptune Suite on the Noordam right next to the elevator back on our May sailing. No noise issues at all.

Yes, one morning, very early, I was distracted by the view and went out to take a picture in my PJs before realizing that folks could see me, but I got the picture anyways!

Best part about being next to the elevators is that it is super easy to find your cabin!!!

It never ceases to amaze me the nerve and lack of manners of some people.

Be amazed. It happens. I am sure you saw my story. That lady treated me like I was a crew member.

I wonder how she would have reacted if the tables were turned and someone walked into her cabin.

Terri

Every once in a while I have my door closed on my office at work. It may be closed for just a few minutes but people open it without even knocking first. If I see someone's door closed at work I'll come back later. I know this is different than what we were talking about but when did it become acceptable to invade the privacy of others?

We were talking about cruise ships. :rolleyes:

We've been next to the glass elevator a couple times on Nieuw Amsterdam, as that is where they've put the HC suites on Signature ships.

I didn't find the elevators bothersome or intrusive.

I did send in some photos to HALfacts to show the perspective from the balcony.

As I mentioned on another thread, what seems to disappoint some people with Neptune Suite guarantees is the possibility of getting one of the HC suites.

The bathroom doesn't have the double sink.

As there are only two HC Neptune Suites, chances are that they will be booked by the people who need them. But if not, they go into the general inventory when guarantees are assigned.

We've been next to the glass elevator a couple times on Nieuw Amsterdam, as that is where they've put the HC suites on Signature ships.

As I mentioned on another thread, what seems to disappoint some people with Neptune Suite guarantees is the possibility of getting one of the HC suites.

As there are only two HC Neptune Suites, chances are that they will be booked by the people who need them. But if not, they go into the general inventory when guarantees are assigned.

I booked an SC guarantee on the NA and ended up with one of the HC cabins. I was not too thrilled about it. The bathroom was the worst part.

Terri

We had one cabin by the elevator and quite liked it. Only 50% of the neighbors one usually has :D Never felt that people were looking onto our balcony, though I guess they may have been. We'd take another one without hesitation.

We too like these cabins - they are quiet and I love only having neighbors on one side.

I booked an SC guarantee on the NA and ended up with one of the HC cabins. I was not too thrilled about it. The bathroom was the worst part.

Terri

I think if you're used to the bigger sink area in the standard suites, then it must be a disappointment.

I am thinking the tubs are not jetted either.

So I can understand your feeling about getting the cabin.

Something can bother one person a lot, but not upset someone else.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought we were talking about offices:D. I'm sorry you weren't able to understand the part of my post when I said this isn't what we were talking about. I thought that comment made it straight forward. I guess it didn't for you.

Edited by cruz chic

People are more than welcome to look onto our verandah. Nothing to hide.

I can only hope that holds true for everyone. There was a thread a few years back about people being naked on their balcony. It seemed that people thought that was totally acceptable. I make a point of looking out to the ocean when I'm in those elevators.

Just to be clear, I do NOT wish to "Get Naked" on my balcony, simply to enjoy breakfast in my night gear. :)! I really just do not want to have get dressed for breakfast as it is vacation after all.

Just curious as we have booked an SC guarantee, and although we are very excited, I am hoping we do not get next to the elevator. Does anyone out there prefer those, and is it possible people book them on purpose? Can you tell me any upside to those suites?

It looks like a mixed review onth Neptune Suite next to the elevator

We had one on the Westerdam. Was never a problem.

Our room was quiet, no elevator noise, easy to find due to its location, able to zip up and down because it was a short walk to the elevator.

Only one neighbor on the balcony and I do not recall a feeling of "peeping Toms" as the elevator past by.

Would I do it again, You bet, I asked my TA for a room next to the elevator on our next trip to Panama.

Hope you enjoy you trip

Just to be clear, I do NOT wish to "Get Naked" on my balcony, simply to enjoy breakfast in my night gear. :)! I really just do not want to have get dressed for breakfast as it is vacation after all.

You might want to know that it is not only the cabins next to the glass elevators where you have to be aware of who can see you. I discovered on our last cruise that the cabin above and over one from ours could look directly onto our entire verandah. (This was the "hump" area. He was over the PH, we were in NS 7048, the last NS before the PH.) I could smell smoke one day and looked up ... and sure enough there was a gentleman on his verandah smoking. From his position I know he could see our entire verandah. It didn't matter to me, but it was not something I expected.

Two years ago we spent 21 days in the suite directly aft of the elevators port side and thoroughly enjoyed the location . Only one neighbor and somehow had better angled view looking forward. For our cruise the gangway was always on the port side directly below us so we got to cheer on the late comers and wave at all our friends.

For the first week I kept riding the elevator past our deck trying to see how much of the balcony I could see when we stopped and then moved on....not much really ,,, and if you put the lounge set next to the wall closest to the elevator you could not be seen at all. After the first week I forgot about the elevator and never gave it another thought.

We had a Christmas poster on our door and one glance when getting off the elevator immediately showed us which way to go to reach our cabin. In fact other passengers on our deck often stopped at the cabin to tell us they used our decoration as a land mark too!

The only downside was the horrid stench coming from the ventilation system 16 of the 21 days . HAL was aware and tried to compensate us but of course that did not rectify the problem. We have not sailed on her since.

The one time we next to the elevator was when we did a guarantee on the NA. It was the HC room and that was more of a concern than the elevator.

Actually, the elevator just goes by and people are busy looking at the water. It's not there long enough for real privacy concerns.

Terri

We had a cabin next to the glass elevator on the Noordam and it was fine. We did not feel privacy was a problem. We enjoyed it because it seemed everytime we left the cabin and needed the elevator it was right there and was like having your own private one. it was great.

The one time we next to the elevator was when we did a guarantee on the NA. It was the HC room and that was more of a concern than the elevator.

Actually, the elevator just goes by and people are busy looking at the water. It's not there long enough for real privacy concerns.

Terri

That was "our" cabin! :p

Great location for us - especially with its proximity to the Neptune Lounge. We had only had HC-accessible suites on Westerdam, which were on the wake on Deck 6. It was a hike to the Neptune - but I guess I needed to work off all those snacks anyway!

But you are right, the elevator does go by pretty quickly - it's not like it lingers and people watch you.

And as someone else said, if you choose to sit on the chaise closest to the wall, no one can see you.

I got so absorbed in my book, music and daydreaming, I forgot all about the elevator.

DH and I had a suite that was the first one in the hallway and there was an outside elevator next to our balcony, plus the regular elevators. We were a little concerned at first, but then we didn't experience any noise at all and ended up loving the location because it was so close to the elevators. I wouldn't worry about it. Have also had elevators close by on other cruise lines and not a problem with them either.

I think the glass elevators are more the concern here than other elevators, as the people in the glass elevators can see into the balconies of adjacent staterooms.

Here is a picture of our cabin (SA 7057) on Nieuw Amsterdam - it shows in one photo the angle of the glass elevator to the balcony.

As someone said previously, if you're sitting in the chaise by the wall, the people in the elevator won't see you!

http://halfacts.com/7057-nieuw%20amsterdam-hc/

I have heard others comment that they did hear those noises but I was on our balcony every day and was never bothered at all. (took an afternoon nap every sea day)

In fact, having only one neighbor made a significant difference in lessening adjacent noise and certainly reduced the possibilities of experiencing other potential negative factors. A little like being in suite 002 or the penthouse on S class ships.