Crazy to cruise during Christmas Vacation?

Twinsplus1

I posted this question on the "Family Cruising" Board too but I'm pretty sure we are going with Carnival so I wanted to ask it here too:

We are a group of two families with 4 kids (3 12 yr olds and a 4 yr old) and we are thinking about doing a cruise during holiday break. We are not set on what line, what ship, what length or even where to leave from. We are in New England so whatever we decide we will have to fly to anyway.

Is it crazy to even attempt it? Any good tips/advice on booking? Do any ships leave on a Monday anyway?

You are going on a family cruise at a family cruise time so what is the problem.

Now if you had started your post off with "Hubby and I are looking for a peaceful getaway at Christmas ..." that would be a different thing.

Duck!:D (But, so true.)

There will be literally TONS of families with kids of all ages on any holiday cruise. I think it would be a great way to spend Christmas - you, not me.:) Your youngest will probably enjoy Camp Carnival, and there are lots of fun things for the other kids. Plus, the ships are decorated beautifully for Christmas.

And yes - there are several ships that sail on Mondays. If you're undecided about which, go to Carnival.com and look at the ships and itineraries....or go by a local TA and pick up Carnival's big brochure.

Merry Christmas!

We still want to be home for Christmas. So we can either do before or preferably right after.

Carival Liberty is a brand new ship and does a six day itinerary--Freeport, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Dec 18-24(Sun-Sat) or the Jan 1-7(sun-sat) cruise might be a good option(s). The prices arent that bad, but you would have to pay a higher fare for your air by flying during the holidays so take that into consideration.

You'll pay top price for everything at the holidays. Plus, if you're thinking about it, you better book ASAP.

We are going to Hawaii for Christmas and can't use frequent flyer miles. It's $750 round trip (multiply that by our family of five). It's going to be one expensive vacation. We called the airlines and they are selling fast so we need to book now. Agh, I just put the deposit on my cruise too and I refuse to put vacations on credit.

Guest cruzr44

Holiday cruises tend to book up fast so book soon if you decide to go. I think it would be a real fun family vacation although the airports will be PACKED and I would also plan on going down a day early to avoid any delays. I would seriously consider the week or two before Christmas if at all possible. Better prices, less hectic. Good luck!

We always do our family cruise during the winter months. We did before Christmas last year and decided that it really took away from the mood of Christmas. I mean you leave your winter invironment and head to summer one and decorations in Mexico or the Bahamas aren't the same as here. So we thought about a new years cruise, too expensive.

So this year we are doing thanksgiving, we will actually be on the ship for Thanksgiving, with all our family and none of the cooking;) .

We 'skipped Christmas' 2 years ago, and it was wonderful. We were able to drive to Charleston (saved having to buy 5 expensive flights) and cruised on the NCL Majesty.

The cruise replaced our gift giving, and made the whole month of December more enjoyable. No rushing to stores, scrambling to put together holiday meals, didn't even get a tree.

Christmas Eve in Cozumel, Midnite mass on board, Santa with a Norwegian accent, Xmas day in Key West... We loved it all.

Granted, it's not for everyone, but our kids have already asked to 'skip Christmas' again and take another cruise.

Ken

We are going on the Conquest that leaves out of NOLA on 12/18. Family of four w/children age 2 & 9 along with some other extended family. Thought about it and looked long and hard before deciding to go and choosing the Conquest. Choose Carnival primarily due to the wide range of ages and individual preferences of those in our group, Camp Carnival seemed to offer the most services for those under three and I think we got a pretty decent price for this time of year. Looked at cruising both Thanksgiving week or Christmas through New Years and both seemed more expensive. Plus we will still have about a week post cruise until everybody needs get back to their normal routines and school on 01/03 and really didn't want to travel back on on Jan 01 or 02. On the downside we will be disembarking in NOLA on Christmas Day. This will be the first time we have spent Christmas away from "home" or family. On the upside as KenBenz said there will be no standing in line at any stores at 5 a.m. trying to snag the latest, greatest or cheapest. No meals to coordinate and this time we get to skip all the holiday drama that friends, family and neighbors usually throw into the mix. This year my 9 yr old will get to swim with dolphins as opposed to adding more stuff to all the stuff that she already has lying all over the house. We will have one or two gifts for the kids to open on Christmas day at the hotel. Folks on these boards have been overwhelmingly helpful with hotel, cruise and even Christmas dinner plans.

Sorry to be so long - if you decide to go check out our group and think about joining us!!!

Sailed out of Galveston last Christmas (our 25th cruise) and it was the first cruise taken on Christmas and was disappointed by the lack of Christmas decorations and spirit given the holiday. We paid a much higher rate to go and felt we we were not given extras. However the worst cruise is still better than the best day at work, so we smiled and got drunk and disabled. Booked the same ship the Estacy for November 10th this year. Your kids will have ball cause the ship is loaded with Munchkins of all sizes and ages.

Steve & Kathy

25 cruises down,

hundreds to go.;)

Hi, we are booked on the Miracle January first. It is quite a bit cheeper to go then. We don't go back to school until Jan 8th. Two years ago, we were cruising over the Christmas break, it was great. There were lots of families, we missed our family back home:( . We will be at home in the frozen north for Christmas, spend New Years Eve in Tampa and then sail away on New Years day. I think it is the best time for families, especially after the mad rush of Christmas.

You will love a cruise no matter what time you go, so will your kids.:o

Brenda

I did the X-mas/New Year's Eve on the Glory last year. The 2 issues are air transportation - which was a nightmare both ways and price which was about 2X any other time.

Otherwise, it's quite an experience to spend New Year's Eve on the deck of a ship with a full blown party going on!

Our family of 4 cruised over Christmas a few years ago. It was wonderful. Especially for mom!!! It was great to have a year off from the hustle-bustle that we let ourselves fall into. We just enjoyed each other and the ship. We brought stockings and a few gifts along with some extra stockings for room stewards, waiters, etc. I would do it again in a heartbeat, but my kids prefer the traditional Christmas at home. It was a wonderful break though!

We just enjoyed each other and the ship. We brought stockings and a few gifts along with some extra stockings for room stewards, waiters, etc.!

That's exactly what we are going to do as well. I'm hanging stockings for the two teenage girls and will stick 3 or 4 presents in them for them to open on Christmas morning(which is the morning we get back to port). We'll drive back home to Atlanta (and on the way stop at a nice restaurant for Christmas dinner) and should be home by early evening where the tree will still be up and a few more presents under the tree to open.

My parents are also cruising with me and the girls, and I plan on making sure they have a couple trinkets to open in the morning.

We are all way excited about cruising for Christmas this year. Hopefully we will all like it so such it will become a family tradition.

:) Merry Christmas! :)

Laura

Every year for the past 15 we have cruised Christmas/New Years week. This year we are already booked on the Liberty..leaving the 24th and returning the 1st. I am a teacher and so I go when I am off. My children...age 24 and one 28 with a wife always go with us!We travel with friends who have children our kids ages..with assorted girlfriends/ wives etc. We have a ball!

Two years ago we cruised the Spirit Dec. 17-25. I think there were 700 kids on board. Since you have children, I think this would be an excellent trip. I know some people were disappointed there weren't a lot of XMAS theme events, but we found everything to be great. The day we left Miami was a little cold but the ports were excellent. I still remember snorkeling in Barbados and the crew playing XMAS music, Silver Bells sounds great on steel drums.

I have been on 2 Christmas cruises and one New Year's one (last year). I already booked my New Year's cruise on the Spirit and maybe because of the itinerary, the price was not bad and the airfare to San Diego was much cheaper than the one to Fort Lauderdale last year. I would suggest to look for different itinerary options and if you book in advance like I did, maybe you can find a good airfarare. Book early, the fuel price is going up and up and it reflects on the airfare.

We did the Victory cruise over xmas last year. For some strange reason, CCL had awesome deals on the Glory and Vic xmas cruises. We paid $500 per person for two 1a port hole rooms.Combined with credit card points and shareholder benefits, it was cheap.This year doesn't look nearly as good.

There were some xmas ornaments, free champange upon boarding, a nice xmas show- hey, I think they did a good job.

While I got a good deal on air, my daughters luggage was sent to chicago instead of Ft Lauderdale and we got it back an hour before we boarded, so that was stressful. During trhe same time, Com air cancelled almost all their flights leaving 100's stranded and US Air was unable to to luggage out.Our flight back was cancelled and we had to spend a night in Ft Lauderdale *AA gave us vouchers. So, you do take your chances. My wife wondered if it was worth the hassel of contending with holiday travel, but the day after we got back,m we got socked with 5 ' of snow and saw much more for several more months. That really made us savor the holiday cruise. If you can do it, do it at least once.

On our way Boxing day out of New Orleans the Sensation .Back in port New Years Eve.We usually go on vacation before or after Christmas but decided to do a real Christmas vacation this year.We hope to enjoy Xmass morning home and then fly to New Orleans.Good luck with your plans.

Archived