Cheers price adjustment

cruisinpips

I am not sure that this new program will be a good deal for me or not. At the previous cost of 50.00 a day, it definitely was not worth it for me. But now at the new daily cost, maybe. Good thing is I have time to think about it, and dont have to decide until the day I board the ship.:)

We had been on the fence about the Cheers package at the old pricing, and had actually decided not to get it for our Dec cruise. Since the new pricing rolled out, we've decided to go ahead and try it. I think we can at least come closer to breaking even now. I don't drink very much (I had 3 frozen drinks, and shared a bucket of beer with the husband, on our last 5 day cruise), so it really made no sense to get it before. However, I think I can handle a couple drinks throughout the day, and non-alcoholic drinks the rest of the time, and make it worth it to buy the package for my husband.

I think you are the one being cynical.

The Cruise Cash Bar is considered a Bon Voyage gift item that you wouldn't buy for yourself, but for someone else you may know that is sailing. It's like a gift certificate to a store.

Say a couple of close friends or business associates or a honeymoon or anniversary couple you knew were going away and you weren't going with them. You would order the Cruise Cash Bar for say $25 to be a nice surprise in their cabin with a note attached to the envelope saying something like "Have a great time. First round of drinks are on us!!! Love John and Jane".

If you are going on a cruise yourself, there are better ways of handling your own onboard bar expenses.

HA! - Maybe I am! - Still think it's a goofy program. I was reading how people wanted to apply money to their account as part of their saving for cruise expenses - and this was the only avenue open to them. Even if it's a gift, not sure why it needs to be a use it or lose it proposition. No matter - it's easy enough NOT to do something :)

Edited by enester

HA! - Maybe I am! - Still think it's a goofy program. I was reading how people wanted to apply money to their account as part of their saving for cruise expenses - and this was the only avenue open to them. Even if it's a gift, not sure why it needs to be a use it or lose it proposition. No matter - it's easy enough NOT to do something :)

You can actually buy gift cards and the leftovers will be put on another gift card. That's exactly what I did when they had the Father's Day promotion. So I got a free $60 which I will be using for my Bottomless Bubbles package :)

Per A response from John Heald "no changes to the program itself only prices " cruising out of tx you will pay the 37.50x 6 days .

So if there are no changes to the program can we purchase it on the second day as before? When not sailing out of Texas.

Edited by CRU1Z1N

So if there are no changes to the program can we purchase it on the second day as before? When not sailing out of Texas.

The program does state that it must be purchased for the entire cruise. Texas is the only exception noted due to their laws.

Does anyone know how the taxes are applied on the Cheers program. From what I understand, if you buy it right away you are taxed on the entire cost of the package, unless you wait until you leave U.S. waters.

How long do you have to 'leave' US waters so that the Cheers package isn't taxed? Does anyone remember about what the taxes ranged? Most people wait or buy right away?

Does anyone know how the taxes are applied on the Cheers program. From what I understand, if you buy it right away you are taxed on the entire cost of the package, unless you wait until you leave U.S. waters.

How long do you have to 'leave' US waters so that the Cheers package isn't taxed? Does anyone remember about what the taxes ranged? Most people wait or buy right away?

We buy right away. The cost of Cheers is not going to change. There is not a tax on the package price. The only tax is on the individual drinks you have before you leave port. I would rather have a drink in my hand at sail away for a few cents tax than for full price. :p

This is on Carnival's FAQ regarding the CHEERS! program-

Here are the program details about our beverage program- CHEERS!

With the purchase of this program, you will enjoy the ease and convenience of paying one flat price for your spirited beverages (yep, that’s with alcohol) all cruise long! CHEERS! package prices range from $165.00 to $300.00 per person/per voyage (including up to 8 day durations) depending on the length of the cruise. Cruises longer than 8 days will have voyage specific pricing. Taxes and gratuities are additional. CHEERS! requires all guests 21 years of age and older in the cabin to purchase the package.

It states that taxes and grat are additional. So it would be $300 plus the 15% grat plus taxes. Total would be over $345.

It's a good chance it will be less than that since they're giving special prices to longer cruises. Even if they don't and go with the $37.50 price per day, we'll save $632 with the new pricing structure. No complaints here!

This is on Carnival's FAQ regarding the CHEERS! program-

Here are the program details about our beverage program- CHEERS!

With the purchase of this program, you will enjoy the ease and convenience of paying one flat price for your spirited beverages (yep, that’s with alcohol) all cruise long! CHEERS! package prices range from $165.00 to $300.00 per person/per voyage (including up to 8 day durations) depending on the length of the cruise. Cruises longer than 8 days will have voyage specific pricing. Taxes and gratuities are additional. CHEERS! requires all guests 21 years of age and older in the cabin to purchase the package.

It states that taxes and grat are additional. So it would be $300 plus the 15% grat plus taxes. Total would be over $345.

The $300 is for an 8 day plus gratuity. 7 day is 262.50 plus gratuity. The taxes are only on drinks while in US ports.

Purchased this in July 2014 and specifically checked my receipt for this at the time of purchase and no tax is charged to the program itself. Rather, you are charged tax only on the individual drinks ordered while in US ports. We got receipts with every drink so the ones that were taxed were like 74 cents per drink.

25% off the 12...but then the drink also doesn't count towards your 15 max

Sorry if this has been answered, but it does count...

• All spirits or wine above $10.00 per drink (offered at a 25% discount – drinks count toward the 15 drink total per 24 hour period)

$37.50 x 7 = 262.50

Where did you get that figure? Nowhere on Carnival's website does it state that a 7 day cruise will be $37.50 per day. It currently gives a range of what the program would cost based on the number of days aboard the ship, $165-$300.