High rates of seasickness on PG Tahiti cruise???

I was searching the internet and found some interesting quotes by the esteemed cruise director of the Paul Gauguin, Michael Shapiro. Apparently, half the people on the PG get sick enough to require a professional hypnotist to stop their seasickness symptoms. Has that been others experience on the French Polynesian cruises of the PG or is Shapiro exaggerating?

Hi and welcome tahiticruise. I did not experience seasickness on the PG in March of 03 nor did I meet anyone that did. I used the Sea Bands daily....and really did not experience any discomfort.

Todd

3/15/2003 Paul Gauguin

11/10/2003 Mariner - Cruising the Chilean Fjords

4/9/2004 Leaving Lost Wages Land Cruise

11/12/2004 Mariner - Cruising the Mexican Riviera (MINT Cruise)

3.jpg?dc=4675448422710665188

Cruising Radisson - Where I belong!

Apocryphal. I've cruised with PG 3 times without a problem--and I'm prone to motion sickness! I use simple seabands, and bonine if it's really rough.

I am sad to say I felt quite queasy one night. Mr. MarnaLou thinks it was during our first of two weeks, the evening we went from Bora Bora to Moorea, but I can't remember. I had been so comfortable I discontinued the tiny doses of Bonine that normally take care of such issues. I had to abandon my cigar in the Connoisseur Club and take to my bed. Elmo the bartender gave me a ginger ale (ail? ha ha) and I used it to wash down a full Bonine tablet. I went to sleep and was fine the next day. It can happen.

But it was all worth it, if only for the motu day.

MarnaLou

Neither my husband nor I had a trace of seasickness when we went last June, nor were we aware of anyone on the ship having it. I will say, however, that the first night out it was a bit rough and difficult to sleep since I was falling all over the bed. The other nights it was just a gentle rock, so lovely that I missed it when the cruise was over!

It's great that Michael is back on Board! I missed him in 5-03 when I took my daughter on the PG. Although I am very prone to motion sickness, my first trip on the PG in 5-01, was uneventful, thank goodness. However, in 5-03, just as MarnaLou said, on the trip to Moorea from Bora Bora that ship was rockin and rollin -something to do with current perhaps - but both my daughter and I turned the other way on the way to the dining room at dinner and ordered soup in our room and went to bed!!! Seabands didn't get it that time......I took Bonine, but it was a question of too little too late.... icon_frown.gif

Glenda Madrid

I am very prone to motion sickness, and have had no problems on the PG twice. The first trip, we had quite a storm off Taha'a, which forced the ship to leave for Bora Bora early, and there were big swells. But I did not feel a thing even then, although I did pop a Bonine for safety's sake.

I did see people that trip with "scop" patches. The second trip I saw one poor girl who was quite unhappy--she was wearing sea-bands, but I suspect she may have been pregnant. I never once had a twinge.

I can't believe that the report is true--most of the time the waters are very calm--it's why I chose the cruise partly, because I was spooked about it. Next I'll find out how the Diamond is--supposed to be very stable!

Wendy

PG May, 2000

PG April, 2003

Diamond, 14/06/04

icon_wink.gif Perhaps he was just joking. Having been on the Gauguin twice, there is a crossing between Bora Bora and Moorea which can get a bit rough. I just take one of the pills offered on board and there was no problem. A hypnotist on board, and half the people seasick? not my experience.

My DH gets sea sick in the car and he did get a bit queazy on the PG (refused to talk to his doc ahead if time, refused to bring anything just in case) but no way was it half the cruisers. No way!! Never say a hypnotist.

Colleen Farley

The only time you do any kind of real "open water" cruising is when you leave Papeatte at 10:00 at night!! And that is not much for open water since they stay close to the islands.

Never a problem for anyone in our group.

If you don't like drugs take some Ginger Root in a capsule. Not a joke! It works great.

I suspect that this is another example of Michael Shapiro's dry wit comedy. We've had a total of three weeks on the PG and never heard of any seasickness. As Jim says, the PG is actually mostly a floating hotel!!

Thanks,

Richard

Shapiro is exaggerating. As previously mentioned, the PG spends only two nights traveling in the open seas on the seven day cruise. Yes, the ship does move when in the open sea because of its shallow draft which is required to enter the beautiful lagoons. My wife gets seasick very easily. She took standard over he counter medication on these two nights and was fine.

Are you contradicting me Richard? I just said that my daughter and I both felt seasick on the return from Bora Bora, and another poster corroborated. So I wouldn't say you "never heard of any seasickness". You just did.

Glenda Madrid

No Glenda, I am not contradicting you. If you say you and your daughter became seasick on the PG, I am sure it's true. I'm sure that someone has become seasick on virtually every ship and itinerary, dependent on sea conditions at the time, and ship and cabin location (which caused my wife Carol to become very seasick on the Voyager because our particular stern suite shook, whereas almost nobody else had this problem.)

What I mean is Shapiro's statement of WIDESPREAD seasickness outbreaks on EVERY PG sailing does not comport with our experience and observation. And I never heard of any seasickness ON THE CRUISES WE WERE ON (3). This, of course does not mean anything as to cruises we have not been on.

Thanks,

Richard icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I was on the PG 3/20-27 this year and did not hear of anyone feeling ill, although I did notice a number of people wearing a patch. My husband has been affected by motion sickness on rough journeys on small boats and planes in the past, but he had no problems whatsoever on the PG. This being our first cruise, that was a relief. As a precaution, I did bring some Bonine with us, but we never used it. We had a wonderful time and have since booked another cruise on the Diamond for next February. Have a wonderful time on the PG!

I am going on the PG in 2 1/2 weeks - I can't wait. I have been on 4 RSSC cruises ( and 2others) before and never had aproblem, but three of them were on the Diamond, which is incredibly stable. I am not really worried but am curious. If I have a problem, does the ship have sea sickness medication available for its passengers,

Pills available at Reception and I understand if you are in a really bad way you can go see the doctor for a shot.

Todd

3/15/2003 Paul Gauguin

11/10/2003 Mariner - Cruising the Chilean Fjords

4/9/2004 Leaving Lost Wages Land Cruise

11/12/2004 Mariner - Cruising the Mexican Riviera (MINT Cruise)

3.jpg?dc=4675448422710665188

Cruising Radisson - Where I belong!

I never experienced sea sickness either on the P.G. but that's not to say that it doesn't happen. I think it all depends on the sea conditions for each particular sailing. I have to agree though that I think M. Shapiro was pulling everyone's leg.

Pat

Karen, Sea Bands use the principles of accupressure to prevent motion sickness. Some people find them extremely effective. Worn like bracelets, there is a plastic disc in an elastic band, and you position them in such a way that the disc presses on a particular spot on your wrist. I've never tried them but they are quite popular, judging by how many I've seen in use on cruises. The drug-free approach certainly appeals.

Here's a website about them: Sea Band information

If you use them, please report back about how they worked for you. And bon voyage on your first cruise!

MarnaLou

Archived