Average age for European cruises?

vacay971

I'm thinking of booking a European cruise for my honeymoon in June, 2006 on the Grand. Can anyone tell me what the average age would be for fellow passengers? We are both in our 30's. Don't want to be the youngest on the ship. ;) Thank you for your help. :)

I'm in my late 20's and so is my husband. We did the British Isles cruise this year on the Golden in late May, and there were very few people in our age range. But we met plenty of really fun people that were older than us, including some great Cruise Critic people that we met on our roll call.

Having just returned (on Saturday) from our Greek Isles cruise aboard the Grand Princess I would have said that on our trip the average age was mid 40s. There were, I believe, quite a few honeymoon couples on board.

The average age on cruises seems to be coming down, perhaps because of inflated wages in some areas.

I don't think the "old wisdom" re only seniors on longer cruises holds true anymore.

Many more GenXers aboard last few years.

Ourlol, how did you enjoy the Grand? Positives/negatives? My fiance and I have cruised before on Carnival but this would be our first Princess cruise and especially, Mediterranean. Would you do it again? How was the flight (layovers/times)? I'm sorry to bombard you with questions, just want to get an idea of what to expect. I've also been looking at the Brilliance on Royal Caribbean but I really like the Grand better. Any feedback would be great. I greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Suzy

We were on the 7/11/05 sailing on The Golden to the northern capitals in Europe and there were people in their 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's. I didn't notice as many couples in their 20's but I'm sure there were some. I would say that it was a great mix of all ages from babies on up!

My husband and I are in our early 30's and we will be booking a Med cruise for either 2006 or 2007. We just can't decide whether to do the Mediterranean or Asia first! :) I actually don't mind an older overall age group, but I do hope we aren't the youngest onboard.

Maria

My DH and I took our honeymoon last month (7/11) on the Golden. It was the Western European Capitals cruise. The Med. cruise was our 1st choice actually, but the dates we had available (I'm a teacher & am not allowed to take more than 2 days off in a row during the school year) were sold out, but we had a blast anyway!

I'm 29 & my DH is 30. We did not feel out of place at all. There was a higher % of people between 40 and 70 I would say, but there were many families and people in their 20's and 30's as well.

I have friends who range in age from their 20's through their 60's; so it didn't matter to me so much the age range of people on the ship. Age is just a number. :) We met so many interesting people of all ages and nationalities. It was a fabulous trip. I hope you enjoy whatever trip you choose! :D

We're early 40's and found a great mix of ages in the Med.

Also...lots of cultural diversity that made the trip interesting!

My cousin (same age) is doing the Med this Oct for his honeymoon...but the timing didn't work out for him on Princess so he's on RCCL in the Owners Suite!

Sheesh....am I jealous!

Suzy,

Apologies for not replying sooner... I've been a bit preoccupied since I got back and I've only just noticed your questions. Sorry.

Well, so far as flights are concerned, I live in the UK so those were a breeze. No layovers for us. Those on our roll-call from the US all flew in to Venice a couple of days beforehand (which helped with jet lag etc) and the majority stayed in Rome at the end.

We have done Princess in the Med three times now and I'm sure that one of these days I'll do it again. Next year I think I'll cross the pond. It's about time. Anyway, here's a link to a thread I ran called Live from the Grand which will give you an idea 'of sorts' of what to expect. See how you get on with that. I believe others from my trip will provide a more detailed review of the ports in due course, so try to look out for those.

I have a two different friends on the Grand at the moment (and for one of those couples it's the second time they've done this itinerary). Princess must be getting something right. Yet another friend has just booked the 7th or 8th August (I can't remember the exact date) sailing for next year. Their first cruise ever!! They also get to go to Istanbul which is one of my favourite ports we've been to.

So far as the Brilliance of the Seas I can't comment, other than to say I know of someone who was recently on this ship (Med) at the same time as ourselves. In an post-cruise email to me they said they'd wished they'd been on Princess. I'm sure, however, that if you posted the same question on the RCI board, someone would have the opposite view. These things are always subjective.

Warmest wishes for a great honeymoon ~ whichever itinerary or ship you choose. I can't think of a nicer way to start married life.

Laura

Archived