A proper cup of tea?

Penzance

Do you have to pay for this hot water at Cafe al Bacio? What time is the cafe open?

I doubt they'd charge you for water. I'm not sure how this is different from a hot water tap on a coffee brewer in the buffet though, in both cases the water is preheated and just dispensed to you. Maybe the buffet would be off boil.

But coming from someone with a fancy espresso machine at home, the water out of the espresso machine's boiler in Cafe Al Bacio is > 100C. To keep steam pressure for milk frothing those are kept about 120-125C. So if you are particular about your water temp as many tea-aficionados are, I wouldn't start steeping the second it is delivered to you. I never have a problem with it at home or on board, but again I know tea drinkers who use calibrated kettles.

[Edit for coffee drinkers - your espresso is not at 125C, the ship uses heat exchanger machines]

Edited by Gig103

Proper tea? Proper tea? I think I know how to prepare "Texas" proper tea.

1. First, you boil it to make it hot.

2. Next, you put ice in it to make it cold.

3. Third, you put sugar in it to make it sweet.

4. Finally, you put lemon into it to make it sour.

Proper tea? Sounds logical to me. ;) :p :D

Not sure about Celebrity (yet) but I noticed on Rhapsody of the Seas that the maximum temperature on the hot water dispensing machines near the Park Cafe was 165F (74C). I assume it was the same in the buffet.

I would imagine that Celebrity uses similar machines.

As someone else mentioned, two teabags gives a 90% decent cuppa.

I was on the Constellation TA in April and was horrified with the tea. So weak. Gnats Pxxx as my late husband would say. Luckily I also bring my own tea bags. I also love Yorkshire tea.

Not at all impressed with the Elite teatime once in 13 days. What a farce that was. Someone needs to learn how to make scones.

Carnival still does Elegant tea on all sea days for all passengers and it is free. Cucumber sandwiches also small pastries cakes etc.

Dismayed at Celebrity cut backs.

Being an ardent tea drinker I find that the biggest problem with on board tea is the water taste,We often ask the Steward to use fresh water rather than the usual tap water from a large urn that has been boiled and reboiled many times.As a previous poster said, most stewards can conjure up some remarkable items from the galley including freshly boiled "real" water.

Not at all impressed with the Elite teatime once in 13 days. What a farce that was. Someone needs to learn how to make scones.

Carnival still does Elegant tea on all sea days for all passengers and it is free. Cucumber sandwiches also small pastries cakes etc.

Dismayed at Celebrity cut backs.

This is a surprise to learn Celebrity does not do tea time as a regular thing for everyone.

We thought Carnival tea time food and beverages were ok but have never eaten a good scone there. The US guests asked us what we thought of it and we said it needed china cake stands, crockery and sparkling wine. :D

This is a surprise to learn Celebrity does not do tea time as a regular thing for everyone.

We thought Carnival tea time food and beverages were ok but have never eaten a good scone there. The US guests asked us what we thought of it and we said it needed china cake stands, crockery and sparkling wine. :D

Yes Carnival needs to learn how to make scones too. At least they get the cucumber sandwiches right and the little smoked salmon open sandwiches. Also love the fresh fruit tartlets.

Yes dismayed to find that Celebrity (and Royal -MSC -NCL ) do not do afternoon tea, well only in the buffet.

Glad that Carnival still does it on sea days.

I pack a wee travel kettle never had it confiscated as it has an automatic cut off.

Yes, same here. As I am sailing out of New York next time with Celebrity rather than a UK port, I don't have high expectations of finding a kettle in my cabin when I board. I'll just use my own and my own Tetley teabags (and ginger biscuits for dunking!)

Avril

Yes, same here. As I am sailing out of New York next time with Celebrity rather than a UK port, I don't have high expectations of finding a kettle in my cabin when I board. I'll just use my own and my own Tetley teabags (and ginger biscuits for dunking!)

Avril

I loved having a kettle in my cabin on The Independence OTS TA last year.

Forgot about the ginger bickies though:cool:

Yes Carnival needs to learn how to make scones too. At least they get the cucumber sandwiches right and the little smoked salmon open sandwiches. Also love the fresh fruit tartlets.

Yes dismayed to find that Celebrity (and Royal -MSC -NCL ) do not do afternoon tea, well only in the buffet.

Glad that Carnival still does it on sea days.

I agree it is a shame, I rather enjoyed it on Carnival. With Celebrity, I just sat at Cafe Al Bacio and had some Tea Forte. Not the same ambiance but improved over the buffet.

Avril

Do you really get a kettle on board? I have read comments about this subject previously and all say it is a 'no no' and it will be confiscated, and require a visit to 'the naughty room' !!

Do you really get a kettle on board? I have read comments about this subject previously and all say it is a 'no no' and it will be confiscated, and require a visit to 'the naughty room' !!

Sailings out of the UK typically have kettles provided in the staterooms. It IS a no no to bring your own on board.

Sailings out of the UK typically have kettles provided in the staterooms. It IS a no no to bring your own on board.

That was always my understanding, but others seem to take theirs without problem!!

I pack a wee travel kettle never had it confiscated as it has an automatic cut off.

As it will be our first time on Celebrity (Constellation in May 2015) could some please tell me if we can get a proper cup of tea anytime - meaning tea made with fresh boiling water. My fussy DH does not drink coffee, so his tea must be perfect, especially first thing in the morning!

Thank you.

DW was happy with what she got at the Cafe.

She always asks that they make sure it is extra hot.

I learned to my cost that half and half milk is not semi skimmed, it is infact half milk half creamer. YUCK!

The only decent cup of tea I had all cruise was the one I made myself with boiling water in the cabin.

I took Fortnum and Mason Teabags, obviously!

(Christmas pressie.. lol)

Everyone has been so helpful, thank you all.

Elena7seas - yes, I will make sure to buy and take some decent teabags to ensure the man is happy :-) At home, it's the full monty - - loose tea, in a heated pot, boiling water then covered by a tea cozy for three minutes. No wonder I need a cruise !!

Well it's not just Brits who like their tea "proper" like you have described. I'm 9th generation American, living in the southern US and I like it this way too. I also bring my own tea bags for insurance. Can't do milk in tea, though.;) Just straight up.

After years of shift work I sleep poorly.

This is our first cruise, and we have a balcony cabin on level 9.

If I wake and need a cup of herbal tea (I will pack my tea of choice), to return to slumber, where could I get hot water, then go to sit quietly outside my cabin, so not to wake my OH?

Jules