Dress in MDR (sorry for another dress code thread!)

Leslieb123

I was reading some of the other dress code threads and the question always seemed to be "Can I dress more informally than the smart casual/formal dress code?" I was wondering the opposite... I love dressing up and have no opportunity to wear some of the more formal dresses that I have. My husband wears suits for work, so he doesn't mind dressing more formally. I'm going on a 7 night cruise, so will have 2 formal nights. I'll dress to the nines those nights :) but I'm wondering if I can wear a couple more formal dresses the other nights. They aren't sequined gowns, one I'm thinking of is a floor length black lace dress. Will I feel out of place if I'm dressed a little more formal than "smart casual" on the smart casual nights?

For sure you won't be alone...

Many see a cruise as an opportunity to amp up the romance and escape the day to day norms of life... And for some folks that means that Dinner is indeed a special event... To be looked forward to each night aboard no matter where they dine.

The majority of X Cruisers shower, change and dress up somewhat to go from the daytime casual to the Dining Smart Casual Requirement.

Tuxes and special gowns are not the norm on non-Formal Nights, but there are certainly men in Resort Wear / Country Club chic, Jackets / Blazers and Suits... Women tend to wear skirts, dress pants, dresses (long or short) etc

I can say that my Hubby & I have never felt overdressed on a Celebrity Cruise... Especially so in the MDR or a Specialty Restaurant

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Where whatever u want. Why would you care what anyone else thinks. And of course nobody would know how u feel, I would never dress up (we don't eat in mdr), but my advise is where whatever u want (overdressing isn't an issue).

I don't own a suit but I know people that wear a suit everyday...not at work, just everyday wear. To each his/her own

Have a great cruise.

They have spots with photographers set up on the public decks (near the dining areas) most nights of the week. Many people do have their professional shots done here and dress up for the event. I have seen many people dressed quite formally on smart casual nights -- and just the opposite, as well. You will most likely not feel out of place. Enjoy!

On my Connie cruise this past July, there were lots of cute maxi dresses and skirts worn every night. I had two long skirts I wore most smart casual evenings. You'll fit right in!

I love this look, so comfortable and flattering on almost every woman. I hope it sticks around and becomes a staple like capris have.

We always dress for dinner on board. On non-formal nights, my husband will wear a lounge suit on most evenings and I always wear a dress, often a cocktail dress. However, on our 40th anniversary [not a formal night], I wore a long gown and my husband his dinner jacket [tux]. Not one person looked at us as if we were out of place. We certainly did not feel uncomfortable dressing the way we did.

I could be a real jerk and complain how people who dress formally on non-formal nights are spoiling my experience of the casual-dining ambience of the MDR.

Instead I will say if it makes you feel good then go for it. Dress up to your heart's content.

You will not feel out of place at all.

We always dress for dinner, I especially love getting dressed up. Its definitely a special part of the holiday for me.

On non-formal nights, I wear a cocktail dress and hubby wears trousers and a smart shirt.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can pay 6k plus for a cruise and then turn up for dinner in clothes I wouldn't wear to tend the garden in . At least make an effort - is it really that difficult to wear a collar and tie on a formal night ? Come on you guys - you are cruising on a 5 star ship with fine dining not eating a Big Mac at a trailer park !

We dress up for dinner every night except maybe the first night.

My 8 yo daughter treats every night as formal night, and its an opportunity to wear all of her party dresses. My son loves to dress up too, most nights are shirt and tie for him, and for formal night, he breaks out the 3 piece suit. He's begging me to buy him a tux before the next cruise : )