Chikungunya Mosquito

rheasue38

Hi!

We are booked on several upcoming Caribbean cruises on Riviera. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions on protecting yourself from being bitten by this new mosquito? I know about Deet. Any other sprays or chemicals that anyone can recommend?

Thanks.

Rhea

Hi!

We are booked on several upcoming Caribbean cruises on Riviera. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions on protecting yourself from being bitten by this new mosquito? I know about Deet. Any other sprays or chemicals that anyone can recommend?

Thanks.

Rhea

I haven't tried it but I saw this on the Eupore Ports Board.

Quote:

Have you tried Picaridin based repellents? I buy Natrapel which is Picaridin based in the States. It doesn't melt plastics and I've had pretty good results with it.

http://www.ewg.org/research/ewgs-gui...lent-chemicals

CJ

Does it melt your skin? :D

Makes you wonder. That remark was made in reference to another poster who wrote"Do I ask myself what I am breathing? Yes. But no more than I ask myself what my skin is absorbing from the DEET (which melted the plastic on our canoe paddle handles). "

Avon now sells the ubiquitous Skin So Soft (which really does work wonders as an all purpose bug repellent, every kind of bug seems to just loathe the stuff!) fortified with Picaridin for extra protection.

http://shop.avon.com/product.aspx?newdept=&s=AV_GGL_PLA&c=iProspect&otc=03735590_BathBody_insectRepellants&bnd=&pf_id=47863&level1_id=300&level2_id=303&pdept_id=344&dept_id=421

It's inexpensive, smells really nice, and it must be safe because the PTA up here in Connecticut sells the stuff to raise funds at all of their outdoor activities.

Avon now sells the ubiquitous Skin So Soft (which really does work wonders as an all purpose bug repellent, every kind of bug seems to just loathe the stuff!) fortified with Picaridin for extra protection.

http://shop.avon.com/product.aspx?newdept=&s=AV_GGL_PLA&c=iProspect&otc=03735590_BathBody_insectRepellants&bnd=&pf_id=47863&level1_id=300&level2_id=303&pdept_id=344&dept_id=421

It's inexpensive, smells really nice, and it must be safe because the PTA up here in Connecticut sells the stuff to raise funds at all of their outdoor activities.

I've used Avin skin so soft (original) against the ubiquitous Scottish midge - being of the fair blonde, "sweet blood" type they make a beeline (!) for me and since I've been using this Avon skin so soft (must be original), I've not had one bite. I even used it all round Australia, including the Outback, with no bites either. Fantastic stuff I buy it by the gallon - I think it's the citronella in it. (In the UK, 4 bottles for £10 at the moment!). Now if you're a boy and thinking "oh that woman's stuff", legend has it the SAS apparently use it when they're on exercise in the Scottish highlands!:D.

Much better than putting any of that horrible chemicals on your skin - and probably a lot cheaper as well with soft skin into the bargain!

J&S, The product you've linked to, we don't have yet in the UK - I expect we will catch up when they get around to it!

Edited by fairbourne

Hi!

Thanks.

Rhea

Chikangunya Fever

It is not a new mosquito, just the same old ones, but Chikangunya virus has spread into the Caribbean from Africa and India and is transmitted to humans by them. It has now been diagnosed in several states in the US. It is a very unpleasant illness and side effects can linger for a long time, in the elderly for a couple of years so best to take it seriously even if it is not likely to kill you. There is no specific treatment and prevention is the only action you can take. Unlike some forms of malaria where dusk to dawn is the mozzies favourite feeding time these mosquitoes are busy all day. The first line of protection is to consider long sleeves and long trousers to reduce the area of exposed skin. Mosquitoes can bite through very thin fabric so thin clothing can be pre-treated with repellant and the treatment will usually survive several washes. Camping and outdoor sports shops usually stock these.

Repellants are essential and forget any thoughts about 'natural agents like citronella'. Go for the chemicals. DEET works but there are good alternatives with a host of brand names.

And no fragrances, as they also use smell to find their targets. Bzzzzzzz!

chikungunya-img

Yes, mosquito's do identify their prey via their sense of smell, unfortunately their preferred scent is that of carbon dioxide.

air-human-breathing.jpg?w=300&h=254

So, unless you've discovered a method of not exhaling.....

1149047_641565695876880_1612934909_n.jpg Can I get an amen up in here?

chikungunya-img

Yes, mosquito's do identify their prey via their sense of smell, unfortunately their preferred scent is that of carbon dioxide.

Amen!

chikungunya-img

And they are more attracted to pregnant women, people who have been drinking beer, smelly feet and the list goes on. Maybe surrounding yourself with some of these people would keep you from getting bitten, even if you continue to breath.Amen. :)

Edited by findacruise

I have read, from an official government source of some sort but cannot find it now, that deet plus permethrin treated clothing in military test concluded it was virtually completely effective as a repellent (99%??). I assume that they would have also meant full and complete application including long pants, blocking opening etc. to get the number

Ironically permethrin is not allowed in Canada even though the gvt own website advocates it use. I understand importation is not allowed becasue it a regulated chemical and no one has spent the time or expense to get it approved.

Clothing treated with this is available from many sources in the USA. That would avoid the possibly more hazardous work of applying it. EPA etc have fact sheets.

Read up so you can decide if it suitable for you and weigh against the risk of getting a bite and that that bloodsucker was infected.

I treated my 'jungle' pants for Panama cruise excursion. Had to find a source (shhh). DW did not have hers treated. It was just to treat my fears. She is much more sensible. Nice warm days, dry season and day light so not out dusk or dawn in the bush - never saw a mosquito.

http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/insect-bite

5) Apply a permethrin insecticide to clothing and other travel gearfor greater protection

• Although permethrin is not available in Canada, travel health clinics can advise you how to purchase permethrin and pre-treated gear before or during your trip.
  • Permethrin-treated clothing is effective through several washes.
  • If treating clothing items yourself, follow product instructions carefully.
  • Do not use permethrin directly on skin.