Confused about dining options on the Caribbean Princess

schlot

We just left the Caribbean Princess yesterday. We had second seating traditional dining. On one of the formal nights, they were leading anytime dining passengers into our dining room about half an hour after our dining time started--when they had closed the doors and knew which tables had not shown up.

I never ran into anyone who was having problems with anytime dining during our cruise. On past cruises, we have heard complaints from people about the wait times.

Hello - never cruised Princess before but are considering a cruise next year on Caribbean Princess. Do you think "Anytime dining" would work OK for a party of 8 who would always want to sit together? Would we be likely to have to wait long for a table? Or would we be better having set dining? I can see a minor issue for us with set dining times in as much as some of us will want to dine early and others late - so "anytime" would be better as we could compromise around 7.30!

Thanks

Hello - never cruised Princess before but are considering a cruise next year on Caribbean Princess. Do you think "Anytime dining" would work OK for a party of 8 who would always want to sit together? Would we be likely to have to wait long for a table? Or would we be better having set dining? I can see a minor issue for us with set dining times in as much as some of us will want to dine early and others late - so "anytime" would be better as we could compromise around 7.30!

Thanks

See the MD on embarkation day at the time/place listed in the patter, usually in one of the dining rooms around 2pm.

He has the power to make this work for you. ;)

I think having late traditional would work better. We had it last week on the Caribbean Princess. The doors opened at 8:00. I've heard it can be difficult to get a reservation for a large group during popular dining times. It's can also be difficult to get a table for two. A lot of times at breakfast and lunch last week, we were able to be seated immediately at breakfast and lunch because we were willing to share a table. Those people wanting a table for two had to wait.

Often traditional is full and the passenger finds himself/herself involuntarily in anytime.

Sadly ... sometimes that happens :(

I think having late traditional would work better.

We were thinking the same thing. If you wait till 7:30 ... late isn't much longer.

Our compromise time was 7pm. never happened. Couldn't get seated till 7:30-7:45.

It seems to be the busiest between 7pm and 8pm which makes sense because that is the prime dinner time even at home. If you are willing to eat with others than the wait time will be shorter. If you want a table for 2 that's another story during that hour. We eat very late at home due to a long commute for work so eating after 8 is the norm for us.

We used "traditional" dining for years with no problem. On one of our cruises my husband decided that he wanted to try "anytime" dining. I wasn't sure about the decision but once we tried it we would never go back. The only times that we encountered lines was right after shows or right after other activities with a large attendance. If there is a wait we go find something else to do until we can get a table - no problem. Just be patient and they will get you seated as soon as a table is available. Remember - you are on vacation and just go with the flow.

Last December we did a B2B on Royal and ATD was horrible on both legs. That is the only Princess ship where we have ever had any problem. I think almost all the passengers had ATD. It was chaotic.

I guess it has to do with the sailing, not the ship. On the Royal's inaugural TA, which was completely sold out, we never had to wait more than a few minutes for anytime 8ish, even for a table for 2. Really, the only big wait I can recall was NYE on the Star.

I guess none of you complainers has ever gone to a popular landside restaurant with a reservation and had to sit at the bar and wait for a table?

Edited by shepp